Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

If the team sucks this year this board is going to have a major, major reckoning.  Sadly I think it's coming.  Glad I'm not a mod.

With or without Manny, are we expecting a playoff team?!?  I think the fun this year will be hopeful improvements from the MLB youth, graduations of future stars Eloy, maybe Cease and a few other hopeful major league regulars.  I’m excited to see some growth in specific players more than team wins as a whole.

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

If?

I'm talking like 63-68 wins again with little to no development from the kids and Rick making his boneheaded decisions on a daily basis for a cherry on top.  I think there is about a 40% chance.

@heirdog -- that would be fine.  But I think there's a pretty good chance that doesn't happen and the rebuild stalls out.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

17 minutes ago, Jake said:

Why would anyone think the team is going to be good this year? That's not my expectation at all and it wouldn't change even if we added Machado.

Wishful thinking? If the team doesn't make massive improvements this year, especially with the addition of Manny, is it likely they will ever be good with the core of Anderson, Moncada, Eloy, Lopez, Giolito, Rodon, Hamilton,  Burr, Burdi, and Machado? I'm not saying 90 wins,  but at least no more than 90 losses. 

Edited by HeHatesShe

37 minutes ago, Whitesoxa6 said:

The team was dogshit last year when they were supposed to see improvements from graduated prospects. With exceptions to Jiménez, Kopech, and Cease, all of their prospects have big question marks regarding their future. Picking top 10 year after year has done nothing to help the rebuild when it should have 

What team has more than three top 25 prospects?

Furthermore, what teams' #4-#10 prospects don't have question marks? This is typically WHY they are a team's #4-#10 prospects. 

20 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm talking like 63-68 wins again with little to no development from the kids and Rick making his boneheaded decisions on a daily basis for a cherry on top.  I think there is about a 40% chance.

@heirdog -- that would be fine.  But I think there's a pretty good chance that doesn't happen and the rebuild stalls out.

This is what a pessimist looks like people. If you think that, you probably should find something else to do with your summers for the next decade. If this happens, nothing else matters. They get Manny or Harper? So what. they'd be the only good player on a team of scrubs. I completely disagree and think a lot of the guys are going to take a huge step forward this year. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is what a pessimist looks like people. If you think that, you probably should find something else to do with your summers for the next decade. If this happens, nothing else matters. They get Manny or Harper? So what. they'd be the only good player on a team of scrubs. I completely disagree and think a lot of the guys are going to take a huge step forward this year. 

I hope they get hotter than shit just to stuff it up my ass that's been watching 120 games a year for most of my adult life.  But right now it's a disheartening situation.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

That's true.  And even if Jiminez, Kopech, Moncada, Anderson and a few others develop as expected, if they don't draft and develop better than they have, it won't last long.  But there is a chance the team could be decidedly better this year if Moncada, Anderson, Engel, Lopez, and Giolito take big jumps, which they all could.

Page 776. Can Manny sign so we can have our Declaration of Independence?

So Moncada taking balls at third was our response to Machado possibly not signing? Why not just leave Sanchez at third?

Any accountants have any thoughts on deferred contracts and how those would be beneficial? What load would the Sox have to do if Illinois switches from a flat to a progressive tax?

Can’t wait for this to end.

Edited by The Beast

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

2016 was worse- he spent $25 million on a bunch of nothing.  And June 2016, specifically, was a disaster.
He should have fired after 2016.  Once that didn't happen, I expect him to be GM for as long as he wants.

Hahns contract runs out after the 2019 season. I would like to think if 2019 is another bad season the Rick Hahn era will be over. I will write JR another letter requesting an interview to be the White Sox GM.

• Haha 3

Just now, WBWSF said:

Hahns contract runs out after the 2019 season. I would like to think if 2019 is another bad season the Rick Hahn era will be over. I will write JR another letter requesting an interview to be the White Sox GM.

Thank you for your service my brave fellow Sox fan 😂😂

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres