Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Im not sure how in early January people didnt understand this was the natural conclusion. Somehow people thought that an elite talent was going to just fall into the Sox laps for a bargain price.

I wish I could pull up every post where people said "dont bid against yourself" or how the Sox should "lower their offer".

Its amateur hour. Im pretty sure Hahn has never negotiated a $100mil contract, so he was completely out of his depth. 

I hope i never hear "insider" on this forum again. 

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I really don’t think they understand how damaging this is to the franchise. 

The average fan won't really car and they'll do what they've done the last few years.  Sell a few tickets, low payroll, lose a bunch of games, and still make a bunch of money.

Screw JR and this franchise.  I won't attend another game with him as owner

I don't understand KW saying they couldn't go to that $300M level.  If any of the reported offers were real, they were near or above the $30M per year average.  Why is $300M a number they couldn't go to?  Now I believe the 7 years $175M offer was real...and their best offer.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I guess we can start calling Rick Hahn, Captain Ahab.

I'm not super familiar with Melville, but wasn't Captain Ahab's fatal problem that he was willing to chase the damn whale to the ends of the Earth?

Clearly, that doesn't apply here.

Unreal. Welp, it's been nice guys -- but I can no longer root for this team (I am assuming they WON'T get Harper based on these comments/remarks by Kenny Williams). 

I am in complete shock. It's not like the Padres offered some astronomical deal -- KW and co. just wouldn't go past certain constructs like the $300 mill and the 10 years. They weren't serious suitors from the beginning and they tried to pry their way into it by trading for Jay and Alonso. Without Machado/Harper this team in 2019 is disgusting. Further, the Padres now have taken Tatis and Machado away from this organization. It's downright hilarious and torturous to be a White Sox fan. 

I am shocked, but at least this will make my fantasy baseball game better as I won't need to bias myself with any sort of fandom to the White Sox. 

• Like 3

Makes you wonder how much the Padres outbid the field. I'll take all KW's statements as face value: We probably had the high offer until now and we weren't going to $300 million. So what does Harper go for if the only team willing to give $300 million to Machado is out of the race?

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

I really don’t think they understand how damaging this is to the franchise. 

My concern is not the anger the will come from the die hard fans like us, but from the general apathy the club will receive from the general fans.

This is one of the worst days in franchise history. The damage is done.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Unreal. Welp, it's been nice guys -- but I can no longer root for this team (I am assuming they WON'T get Harper based on these comments/remarks by Kenny Williams). 

I am in complete shock. It's not like the Padres offered some astronomical deal -- KW and co. just wouldn't go past certain constructs like the $300 mill and the 10 years. They weren't serious suitors from the beginning and they tried to pry their way into it by trading for Jay and Alonso. Without Machado/Harper this team in 2019 is disgusting. Further, the Padres now have taken Tatis and Machado away from this organization. It's downright hilarious and torturous to be a White Sox fan. 

I am shocked, but at least this will make my fantasy baseball game better as I won't need to bias myself with any sort of fandom to the White Sox. 

Ill miss you sunshine

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Honestly, I'm not shocked in the least. I kept trying to believe, I'm a little surprised it was the Padres, but no, the White Sox are who we thought they were. 

• Like 1

Does Kenny Williams have any clue how that statement pisses off so many Sox fans?  Why oh Why oh Why did they ever pretend like they were in the running.  You don't try to bargain shop 26 year old very talented free agents.  Just plain stupid!!!

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres