Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

We we were never in the derby...the front office is sitting on the sidelines with their thumbs up their asses trying to determine if Bryce has any relatives they can sign 

It's the same BS they used on Tanaka, and what they were going to try to sell Ohtani with. Forget money, we will provide you with so much more...Do they even realize how bad the team has been? 

If they weren't prepared to go to $300 million on either of these guys, their plan was flawed from the beginning. They would have needed a lot of things to go right. They almost did, but they didn't. They needed a perfect game. They got a 3 hitter.

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Im not sure how in early January people didnt understand this was the natural conclusion. Somehow people thought that an elite talent was going to just fall into the Sox laps for a bargain price.

I wish I could pull up every post where people said "dont bid against yourself" or how the Sox should "lower their offer".

Its amateur hour. Im pretty sure Hahn has never negotiated a $100mil contract, so he was completely out of his depth. 

I hope i never hear "insider" on this forum again. 

I personally thought we would be willing to bid this much.... but I was wrong. I still believe don't bid against yourself. I don't think he would've signed had we upped it. I think we really had no chance if we weren't willing to go to $300 no matter what we did a month ago.

3 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Im not sure how in early January people didnt understand this was the natural conclusion. Somehow people thought that an elite talent was going to just fall into the Sox laps for a bargain price.

I wish I could pull up every post where people said "dont bid against yourself" or how the Sox should "lower their offer".

Its amateur hour. Im pretty sure Hahn has never negotiated a $100mil contract, so he was completely out of his depth. 

I hope i never hear "insider" on this forum again. 

I'm here. I was a big proponent of "don't bid against yourself". Still am.

The Sox failed because they didn't beat the offer. I'm certain they were given the chance. There was no reason to up their offer if it was in the lead, but they blatantly failed to do so even when they were no longer in the lead and the end was nigh. That's on them.

• Like 1

Wouldn't surprise me if the way this deal went down is the Padres gave Machado's people a take it or leave it deal. Say yes now or we're not going to give you an offer this good again.

But Kenny's comments make it appear we wouldn't have matched if given the chance anyway.

Just now, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

Its also entirely possible he just didn't want to play here. 

Then put a $325/10 year deal on the table with an opt out after year 5 and act like professionals. That's in no way a terrible deal for this player with his previous performance. Do you really think he wanted to go to the Padres? They're like 29th out of 30 teams in wins over the last 6 seasons. 

• Love 1

I think we have a case.

Legal Definition of emotional distress

: a highly unpleasant emotional reaction (as anguish, humiliation, or fury) which results from another's conduct and for which damages may be sought

called also emotional harm, mental anguish, mental distress, mental disturbance,mental suffering

— see also OUTRAGE, ZONE OF DANGER

NOTE: Damages may be recoverable for emotional distress that is caused intentionally or negligently. Recovery for negligent infliction of emotional distress often requires that the plaintiff suffer a physical injury as well.

Just now, yesterday333 said:

I personally thought we would be willing to bid this much.... but I was wrong. I still believe don't bid against yourself. I don't think he would've signed had we upped it. I think we really had no chance if we weren't willing to go to $300 no matter what we did a month ago.

I disagree. I think had the Sox been serious in January about "stepping up" they likely get Machado before the Padres are involved.

This is amateur hour.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Then put a $325/10 year deal on the table with an opt out after year 5 and act like professionals. That's in no way a terrible deal for this player with his previous performance. Do you really think he wanted to go to the Padres? They're like 29th out of 30 teams in wins over the last 6 seasons. 

I agree with you. I'm just trying to find a reason not to blow my stack right now.

1 minute ago, The Sir said:

I'm here. I was a big proponent of "don't bid against yourself". Still am.

The Sox failed because they didn't beat the offer. I'm certain they were given the chance. There was no reason to up their offer if it was in the lead, but they blatantly failed to do so even when they were no longer in the lead and the end was nigh. That's on them.

Lozano totally called Hahn and informed him the Padres offered 10/300. Hahn knew he didn't have that kind of ammo and had to tap out. 

What a crushing blow to every Sox fan. This cheap organization is EXACTLY who we thought they were. Not deserving of a seat at the big boy table. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres