Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

This team just explicitly told us they aren’t willing to pay a player $30mm per year under any circumstances. This was arguably the second best free agent opportunity ever, next to Alex Rodriguez.

Im trying to resist hyperbole because this is all very hot and fresh, but I’ve never felt worse or more hopeless about this franchise than I do now.

It would have been one thing to lose the bidding, but it’s entirely another to lose it when it was at a rate well below what established superstars are already making. 

If this is how they’re going to operate, the only way they’ll ever win again is through pure luck. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Just now, fathom said:

Yep they have horribly misspent 40 million this year and then cry about not having enough money for a winning roster.

Exactly. The white sox have a higher payroll than the As and Rays, who will compete for playoff spots. Their rosters are unbelievably more talented. The As got Profar for a really nice, smart deal. They always just look for good undervalued players.

The sox paid market price for 2 average relievers. Their war will be 1/3 of manny machado brings this year, their cost? 1/2.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I legitimately feel terrible for them. They were used against manny in all honesty.

Jay probably has an extra several million in his bank account for being willing to go along with that charade. He'd probably be unsigned right now otherwise. Don't feel too bad for him.

Who knows where Cleveland woulda traded Alonso. 

The part I dont get is, how can you offer $25 mil a year, but somehow $30mil a year makes it impossible to put together a winning roster? 

Its $5mil per year.

Its a disgrace and the negotiation was a disgrace. Ive got no sauces or insiders, but if they were around $280 in January they could have likely pushed it across before the Padres even got involved.

But chalk one up for, dont bid against yourselves!

Even that narrative is stupid as hell. If $300mil was the magic number, Sox could have hit that and gotten him for $300. Instead even if they outbid the Padres, they would have paid in excess of $300mil.

Im waiting on some insiders to tell me not to worry. 

• Love 2

Just now, bmags said:

Exactly. The white sox have a higher payroll than the As and Rays, who will compete for playoff spots. Their rosters are unbelievably more talented. The As got Profar for a really nice, smart deal. They always just look for good undervalued players.

The sox paid market price for 2 average relievers. Their war will be 1/3 of manny machado brings this year, their cost? 1/2.

Well above market price, well above. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:

I think it is right to dislike Kenny for various things he has done in the past, but as far as today, I'm basically seeing someone who looks legitimately blindsided. If he found out from a tweet while Hahn was being notified by the agent, then really what was KW even a part to, here? At all? Hahn runs things. Ownership sets financial limits.

If they entered into this market thinking that their discount deal would work because they held his friends hostage than they are incompetent and its nobodies fault but their own.

Just now, justBLAZE said:

So Williams is saying Manny took less to play IN SD?

I took it to mean that with incentives and various swell-opts, Manny could have made more than $300 here. But that makes no fucking sense if we supposedly weren't willing to give $300.  This is such an embarrassment. 

We were USED!! Reinsdorf never was serious unless he could have got a "bargain" at $175 million. If he is not the CHEAPEST owner in sports, someone enlighten me on who is? And I was actually thinking of buying tickets? What a joke. I would have took them back. I wonder if Reinsdorf just WANTS the park to be empty so he can move the team, bask in the profits when the "novelty" is there and then sell the team at a profit. I don't know about the rest of you, but my feeling he BETTER sign Harper now regardless of the cost. Otherwise I am out. And you can all spare me the "if you were a real fan" crap. I have been a fan since the 50's, suffered thru all these years of coming up short, and now this? Sign Harper, Reinsdorf.

7 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

How does Kenny Williams go out there and admit that they were shocked by the deal?  I bet he thinks he is sounding like one of us disappointed fans, but he just sounds so incompetent.

Exactly.  He's just out there blurting out catastrophically damaging information and whining to the press in real time like a clueless fan.  They lack the most basic level of professionalism.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Can't spend $1 if all you have is $0.50. 

It's pretty evident by KW's comments and the projected contracts at the beginning of this process, the Sox were bargain hunting. They cannot afford $30 million a year for a player. Straight from his mouth. So you can forget the top tier guys from now on. 

I was worried about that.  We should have just went after Moose and get a starter. 

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

The part I dont get is, how can you offer $25 mil a year, but somehow $30mil a year makes it impossible to put together a winning roster? 

Its $5mil per year.

Its a disgrace and the negotiation was a disgrace. Ive got no sauces or insiders, but if they were around $280 in January they could have likely pushed it across before the Padres even got involved.

But chalk one up for, dont bid against yourselves!

Even that narrative is stupid as hell. If $300mil was the magic number, Sox could have hit that and gotten him for $300. Instead even if they outbid the Padres, they would have paid in excess of $300mil.

Im waiting on some insiders to tell me not to worry. 

Exactly. Many posters made the point that they were sitting confidently on a floor too low to prevent additional bidders. That turned out to be true, but the smart businessman said the smart negotiators know that the worst thing you can do is bid against yourselves.

Now that Manny's gone, we can sign Gio, Jose Bautista, Adam Jones, and Marwin Gonzalez, so we can focus on putting together a winning roster, like Kenny says. Winning roster, as in "winning 73 games".

Someone convince me in the next eight days to cancel MLBTV. Please.

• Like 1

Honestly I feel really betrayed by this organization. I gave them the benefit of the doubt that they were serious about spending with the big boys. If they ever where going to be in position to do it it would have been now. At a time where they never needing that centerpiece to build around more than right now. It all lined up. But they were only in it because it was a discounted rate being passed around for the past three months otherwise they wouldn’t have even been mentioned. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, justBLAZE said:

So Williams is saying Manny took less to play IN SD?

He's probably being circuitous and referring to incentives like marketing deals in the city outside of his actual salary, maybe even counting the tax differences. Note how he words it, "make more here than that", he doesn't say "we could have increased our offer" or "we could have matched that offer". Instead, in his other quotes he specifically says they would not go to $300 million. They're not professionals at running a baseball team, but BS legalese - they're experts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres