Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, Flash Tizzle said:

I agree with this. I won’t be attending any games in 2019, but they risk receiving an unfair brunt of fan unhappiness. It’s not fair to them because they’re forever associated with the failed Machado sweepstakes

Whether or not it's fair to them...you know who else will hear the boo's every time they come up? Rick Hahn, Kenny Williams, and Jerry Reinsdorf. Every one of those boos in spring training, on opening day - let it infect them. Let it haunt them. 

4 minutes ago, TitoMB345 said:

So, based on KW's statement, we were never really in on Machado or Harper.

Awesome. Glad we got such a solid owner backing this team!

Another year of baseball irrelevance.

You would think the FO would have a cogent communication plan with consistent messaging and a plausable explanation instead of KW acting like he's shocked.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Maybe it’s me, but I don’t necessarily think Sox are out on Bryce and KW could be bluffing

Lol. Idk man. Manny seemed like their target and maybe that's how the Sox wanted it but I'm done giving them the benefit of the doubt and saying that's how they like it.

Sox are out on Harper. This team just doesnt have the balls to make these kind of moves. 

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yolmer is gonna put up a 280/330/420 3.5 WAR season at 2B!  TA is going to slash 250/300/500 with elite defense.   Moncada is going to hit 270/360/450 with 30SB and 3.5 WAR himself.

It's on!

This isn't a video game where you can edit player attributes to produce the desired results. None of that is going to happen. 

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

At least now I don't have to argue with all our members who thought 2020 was going to be the year to supplant the Indians and how Joc Pederson playing CF was such a good idea.

I'd rather deal with those minor mistakes that than this crapfest. 

The part that really pisses me off the most is that the Sox were clinging to their bargain deal with Manny for so long and not meeting his actual demands, so Lozano just waited and waited around long enough for some other team to suddenly jump in, and that is seemingly exactly what happened. Sox got cute with their money and played games with their future, and got burned.

If this was the Phillies or Yankees outbidding the Sox, then it would still suck, but knowing that they likely lost Manny because they failed to budge on their discount for so long is such a kick in  the fucking balls.

And if they weren't willing to go $300M on Manny, then they sure as hell won't for Harper or Arenado either. I honestly have no idea if the Sox will ever sign the biggest of fish during this current ownership. Sure, maybe we will sign a couple of $100M deals in the next 24 months, but the only chances we have at superstars are going to be in this system, or via trade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

At least now I don't have to argue with all our members who thought 2020 was going to be the year to supplant the Indians and how Joc Pederson playing CF was such a good idea.

Wanna go see a Padres game next year?

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Lol. Idk man. Manny seemed like their target and maybe that's how the Sox wanted it but I'm done giving them the benefit of the doubt and saying that's how they like it.

Sox are out on Harper. This team just doesnt have the balls to make these kind of moves. 

Harper is smiling right now.  Time for the Phillies to pick up the phone and spend that stupid money.  

Just now, Sarava said:

What did KW say that leads you all to say they aren't in on Harper?

That they completely misjudged the machado market, thought offering access to a exclusive coupon club would make up for the lack of additional guaranteed money, and that they wouldn't fork over $300 million.

• Like 1

It's Jerry's money, but if Hahn and Kenny were aware all along that Jerry wasn't willing to go to $300 million, then they were absolute fools in how they handled the expectations of the fans.  Their comments and demeanor were always so confident, from the winter meetings on.  Is it any wonder fans are so pissed right now?!?!  It is directly related to our raised expectations.

If they would have said that they are still trusting the rebuilding process, but that they would explore all free agents this offseason to get a feel for their price, fans would have had more tempered expectations.  If you miss, no biggie.  If you hit, everyone is ecstatic.  How they didn't understand that that was the right way to play it...I'll never know.

• Like 1

Honestly good for Padres fans, Preller is shady but the guy is getting shit done over there. Convince the Padres owner to pay up for a legit superstar to compliment their #1 farm system. White Sox legitimately have been cucked by the Padres this offseason. Can't wait their Jerry KW and Hahn are gone now.

You guys need to stop believing that JR is actually a Sox fan, he is a businessman and an owner for profit, nothing more. Runs it like a business, full stop, and does a good job of it. When he and KW lucked into a championship by catching lightning in a bottle with have beens / cast-offs like The Count, Sweaty Freddy, El Duque, JD, AJ, etc. on the cheap, it was good business and they were excited to take the trophy from Bud, but got lucky, nothing more, and will always be willing to suffer less, for more $$$

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres