Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

7 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

I agree with this. I won’t be attending any games in 2019, but they risk receiving an unfair brunt of fan unhappiness. It’s not fair to them because they’re forever associated with the failed Machado sweepstakes

Sox fans always look for reasons not to go to games... hence why spending a lot is hard for ownership because they draw like the Marlins. Not an excuse but hate this kind of thought process. 

I'll go to watch timmy and moncada and eloy... no reason not to still be excited about the young talent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

To be fair to those guys they should give them their release right now. Let them go find work elsewhere. Eat the money and take the L. If you actually care about them as a human you wouldn't subject them to the vitriol that is going to come their way from ignorant fans. 

Also, if the Sox weren't going over $300M I was wrong about them actually being serious. They were never serious at all. We're all fools for thinking they were. 

I don't want to call ourselves fools because it's shocking to imagine a FO publicly suggesting we can sign one of them when they had no intention to give them what the market initially suggested, they look like fools more than we do.  

Either way, Damnit. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

The part that really pisses me off the most is that the Sox were clinging to their bargain deal with Manny for so long and not meeting his actual demands, so Lozano just waited and waited around long enough for some other team to suddenly jump in, and that is seemingly exactly what happened. Sox got cute with their money and played games with their future, and got burned.

If this was the Phillies or Yankees outbidding the Sox, then it would still suck, but knowing that they likely lost Manny because they failed to budge on their discount for so long is such a kick in  the fucking balls.

And if they weren't willing to go $300M on Manny, then they sure as hell won't for Harper or Arenado either. I honestly have no idea if the Sox will ever sign the biggest of fish during this current ownership. Sure, maybe we will sign a couple of $100M deals in the next 24 months, but the only chances we have at superstars are going to be in this system, or via trade.

This is likely not to ever change. Aside from Albert Belle, when has the JR owned Sox team ever gone out on the market and "bought" a big ticket player? Abreu at 60-something million? LUL. The Sears-suit wearing, Ford Focus driving, snake oil salesman. I'm not buying it anymore.

• Like 3

Just now, shago said:

You guys need to stop believing that JR is actually a Sox fan, he is a businessman and an owner for profit, nothing more. Runs it like a business, full stop, and does a good job of it. When he and KW lucked into a championship by catching lightning in a bottle with have beens / cast-offs like The Count, Sweaty Freddy, El Duque, JD, AJ, etc. on the cheap, it was good business and they were excited to take the trophy from Bud, but got lucky, nothing more, and will always be willing to suffer less, for more $$$

This won't even make them money. There is basically no one left in this fan base who isn't either checked out or furious. They made the Cubs money over the next 10 years today, because they just broke a lot of families of White Sox fandom, and those families won't be coming back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chi Town Sox said:

I don't want to call ourselves fools because it's shocking to imagine a FO publicly suggesting we can sign one of them when they had no intention to give them what the market initially suggested, they look like fools more than we do.  

Either way, Damnit. 

For some reason, they think they can talk these guys into taking less. I really wonder exactly what they are selling. It certainly isn't winning.

If the Sox can't pay a player $300 million, how were they ever going to get Harper, a guy who loved DC but turned down $300 million?

Edited by Dick Allen

8 minutes ago, bruni said:

Had season tix for 24 years and cancelled them in November.  Had little to no faith then, and even less now.  My issue both then and now was the truly terrible drafting record.  SO many crap pics in the last 5+ years, squandering high draft positions year after year... Rodon (fragile and mentally weak), Fulmer (terrible control and no plus offerings) Burger (are you kidding me - a beer league softball player with a top 15 pick?) and on and on it goes... They trade away blue chippers for a glut of AAAA outfielders (Rutherford and Basabe) or bust worthy (Giolito) pitching and strike out plagued Moncada - our new 3rd baseman - ugh...  They over pay for a prospect (Robert) who can't stay healthy... And now, after having 2+ years to prepare by clearing roster $$, they swing and miss on Machado, but not until they blow over $10 mil on his buddies/family Jay and Alonso (and helping the Indians in the process)...

Incompetence rules and the common denominator is Jerry.  They better hope and pray that Cease and Jimenez don't implode or there really is nothing left to hope for.  Vote with your $$ WSox fans... no need to support this crap until Jerry sells or croaks.... Be thankful for 2005 - - it's not ever coming back under this ownership.

So when they do spend you hate it - Robert.

When they commit to the future you hate it - sale and Eaton trade.

You also have already determined how good basebe and Rutherford are - got it. 

Good takes. Rodon was the consensus pick but he sucks and has no chance either..got it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

KW saying they can't pay a single guy 30mil/yr because they want a winning team on the field in a season where they are paying Alonso and Jay 13mil is just

hilarious.

As I said before, you can't make this shit up-

I love worrying about paying the young guys in 6 years.  That stuff typically works out easily.

• Like 2

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres