Jump to content
yesterday333

Machado signs with Padres 10/300

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Family did it for me. Wife, kids, work, hobbies, etc.  It finally dawned on me that it was supposed to be something to enjoy, and if it wasn't, I wasn't doing it right.

When I think about the White Sox and baseball in my life, don't get me wrong, winning the World Series was great.  But for my two cents, those days of randomly driving up to Comiskey Park in the 70's and 80's with my dad and brother to grab cheap seats and take it in a ball game wasn't about seeing the team win.  It was about enjoying a game, and a few hours away from everything.  It was about being together and enjoying the time.  A large chunk of my favorite White Sox memories have absolutely nothing to do with who won or lost a game, or where we finished that season.

I think in the modern age where we have access to hyper-concentrated and specific groups of people based on the smallest of interests, as well as the taking WAY more personally things like fandom and just the groups in general we associate ourselves with has changed a lot of that.  The need to be entertained, and the need to feel the center of attention has taken over a lot of entertainment in general.  It isn't good enough anymore just to provide a few hours of getting away from life, people now need to feel entertained and like the focal point of a multi-media experience for 3 hours.  I was there for a long time.  I threw temper tantrums over relievers blowing games, and managers making dumb decisions.  I let games ruin my nights and days.  I won't even lie and say that it never happens anymore.  But I have done a lot to not let it define me.   None of who I am is defined by who Rick Hahn signs or doesn't sign.  I can't control that.  There is no good reason for it to own me.  I could spent countless hours pouting, or I could view this as a release from life.  If it isn't, I'll go play with my kids or work on something of interest to me.  I have thrown myself into other organizations and local politics.  When I see what others go through, missing out on Manny Machado doesn't seem as big of a deal to me.  I definitely don't see it as something worth letting the failures of decades ago affect me in a personal way.  Why should I be upset that the Sox missed the playoffs in 1960?  I have better things to do and take personally.

But at the end of the day, to each his (or her) own.  I am going to do what works for me.  If I see this bothering people so much, I see an obvious solution, and will offer it because it worked for me.

This is excellent advice. Nobody on this board can control how much money JR is willing to fork over on a free agent, what shenanigans the front office will pull, the qualify of the organization's scouting, or what in-game decisions Renteria will make. So why get super-upset about it, to the point when you're wasting time by whining about it over and over again and making yourself miserable in the process? If your significant other treated you the way that the Sox front office treats its fans, would you stay with him/her? I'm not saying that people need to kick the Sox to the curb, but "just being casual friends" isn't a bad option at this point. I don't think that I posted here once last season, because that craphole of a team wasn't worth my energy. I don't think that I even watched 10 games on TV. Time that I could've spent watching the Sox suck was spent with my wife and kids instead, and I was a lot happier because of it. If you don't have a significant other or kids, go adopt a dog, start going to the gym more, or learn to play a musical instrument or something. Focus on the things that make you happy. Nobody is forcing you to be a Sox fan and nobody wants you to be miserable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Black_Jack29 said:

This is excellent advice. Nobody on this board can control how much money JR is willing to fork over on a free agent, what shenanigans the front office will pull, the qualify of the organization's scouting, or what in-game decisions Renteria will make. So why get super-upset about it, to the point when you're wasting time by whining about it over and over again and making yourself miserable in the process? If your significant other treated you the way that the Sox front office treats its fans, would you stay with him/her? I'm not saying that people need to kick the Sox to the curb, but "just being casual friends" isn't a bad option at this point. I don't think that I posted here once last season, because that craphole of a team wasn't worth my energy. I don't think that I even watched 10 games on TV. Time that I could've spent watching the Sox suck was spent with my wife and kids instead, and I was a lot happier because of it. If you don't have a significant other or kids, go adopt a dog, start going to the gym more, or learn to play a musical instrument or something. Focus on the things that make you happy. Nobody is forcing you to be a Sox fan and nobody wants you to be miserable.

Honestly, it's not a bad idea. This is my plan. I'm not even excited for baseball this year which is fucked up considering it's always been my number one hobby (playing and watching). Oh well, at least I still have a couple summer league teams to play on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Honestly, it's not a bad idea. This is my plan. I'm not even excited for baseball this year which is fucked up considering it's always been my number one hobby (playing and watching). Oh well, at least I still have a couple summer league teams to play on.

And if the Sox surprise (unlikely, but it's happened... 1990 and 2000, for example), you can always go back to paying more attention to them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

While I completely agree with your attitude about it, I can't pull it off myself. I don't have a family pulling me away from this stuff, I don't even have a gf or anything and because of my personal situation, I have a metric ton of time to kill. There are other hobbies I enjoy, but they're all weather dependent. If the conditions aren't just right, I can't do them. The one hobby I do enjoy that isn't weather dependent, I'm having trouble enjoying lately because I'd have to take time away from other hobbies in order to get what I want out of it. I've put it completely on the backburner until I can make the necessary sacrifices in other areas to enjoy it the way I want to. In the end, I keep coming back to sports because you don't control the schedule of games and when it's on, it's on. 

It doesn't have to be what it was for me either.  Find your thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It doesn't have to be what it was for me either.  Find your thing.

I'm in the process of looking for a house so when I finally close on one, there is likely to be work done whether it be replacing floors, painting, etc so that will be a nice, rewarding project.

Edited by soxfan2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Family did it for me. Wife, kids, work, hobbies, etc.  It finally dawned on me that it was supposed to be something to enjoy, and if it wasn't, I wasn't doing it right.

When I think about the White Sox and baseball in my life, don't get me wrong, winning the World Series was great.  But for my two cents, those days of randomly driving up to Comiskey Park in the 70's and 80's with my dad and brother to grab cheap seats and take it in a ball game wasn't about seeing the team win.  It was about enjoying a game, and a few hours away from everything.  It was about being together and enjoying the time.  A large chunk of my favorite White Sox memories have absolutely nothing to do with who won or lost a game, or where we finished that season.

I think in the modern age where we have access to hyper-concentrated and specific groups of people based on the smallest of interests, as well as the taking WAY more personally things like fandom and just the groups in general we associate ourselves with has changed a lot of that.  The need to be entertained, and the need to feel the center of attention has taken over a lot of entertainment in general.  It isn't good enough anymore just to provide a few hours of getting away from life, people now need to feel entertained and like the focal point of a multi-media experience for 3 hours.  I was there for a long time.  I threw temper tantrums over relievers blowing games, and managers making dumb decisions.  I let games ruin my nights and days.  I won't even lie and say that it never happens anymore.  But I have done a lot to not let it define me.   None of who I am is defined by who Rick Hahn signs or doesn't sign.  I can't control that.  There is no good reason for it to own me.  I could spent countless hours pouting, or I could view this as a release from life.  If it isn't, I'll go play with my kids or work on something of interest to me.  I have thrown myself into other organizations and local politics.  When I see what others go through, missing out on Manny Machado doesn't seem as big of a deal to me.  I definitely don't see it as something worth letting the failures of decades ago affect me in a personal way.  Why should I be upset that the Sox missed the playoffs in 1960?  I have better things to do and take personally.

But at the end of the day, to each his (or her) own.  I am going to do what works for me.  If I see this bothering people so much, I see an obvious solution, and will offer it because it worked for me.

Everyone loves and appreciates family. However, we need something else to take our lives off of real life/ Also, the Sox beg for our money. I get emails everyday asking me to spend money on tickets, merchandise, and memorabilia. When our money is involved, emotions get involved. Otherwise, they can make the Sox experience free of charge. 

 

Edit: this is not an attack on you or disagreement, just an explanation for those who feel bad about being angry. The Sox deserve it. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Everyone loves and appreciates family. However, we need something else to take our lives off of real life/ Also, the Sox beg for our money. I get emails everyday asking me to spend money on tickets, merchandise, and memorabilia. When our money is involved, emotions get involved. Otherwise, they can make the Sox experience free of charge. 

 

Edit: this is not an attack on you or disagreement, just an explanation for those who feel bad about being angry. The Sox deserve it. 

Which it should be.  But when it comes back into your personal life, that is when it is too much.  As to the rest of it, I mean porn companies, Presidents, and Nigerian princes also ask for my money on a daily basis.  Doesn't mean I need to waste my time with them if they don't provide something positive for me.  If you can't draw the line, that is on you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one thing, other than the actual signing that really bothered me was both RH and KW trying to spin an offer $50 million less in guaranteed money was a superior offer. Yes, I may stillroot for the White Sox, despite all of your mistakes. But don't assume I am that dumb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dick Allen said:

The one thing, other than the actual signing that really bothered me was both RH and KW trying to spin an offer $50 million less in guaranteed money was a superior offer. Yes, I may stillroot for the White Sox, despite all of your mistakes. But don't assume I am that dumb

It had the "potential" to be the better offer is what they should have said.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The one thing, other than the actual signing that really bothered me was both RH and KW trying to spin an offer $50 million less in guaranteed money was a superior offer. Yes, I may stillroot for the White Sox, despite all of your mistakes. But don't assume I am that dumb

That was really insulting. They come across as incompetent boobs when they pull shit like that. Just tell the truth that you were never serious. Hahn lied when he said they weren't looking for participation trophies, when that is exactly what they were looking for. 

We don't want you to win the Fiscal Responsibility trophy, Rick. We want you to win the Commissioner's trophy. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get superstars via draft and international. Use free agency for the completion of the team with strong talent. The course is now clear and we can disabuse ourselves of all the delusion that got us here, and start anew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jack Parkman said:

That was really insulting. They come across as incompetent boobs when they pull shit like that. Just tell the truth that you were never serious. Hahn lied when he said they weren't looking for participation trophies, when that is exactly what they were looking for. 

Looking back now at the whole ordeal is frustrating, especially with all the pageantry involved.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Princess Dye said:

Get superstars via draft and international. Use free agency for the completion of the team with strong talent. The course is now clear and we can disabuse ourselves of all the delusion that got us here, and start anew.

I don't know if there will be a 25 or 26 year old star hitting free agency any time soon unless they change the system. But this was the time to strke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, fathom said:

I’m sure Yonder did a great job recruiting. John Calipari couldn’t get someone to change their mind for a guaranteed 50 million.

I think Calipari tends to be the one using millions to get people to change their mind...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×