Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

The notion has been posited that the Sox may be waiting to have a press conference, with 3, or more of the acquisitions, particularly the "Tres Amigos". One would have to think that SoxFest would figure into the equation, as well. If such a plan exists, when would the optimum time be, to announce a Machado deal and hold a joint press conference?

I don’t mean to be rude, but SoxFest will have no bearing on a transaction of this magnitude.  And if we do in fact land Manchado, he will be the sole focus of the press conference.

2 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

So now all the smoke is around the Yankees again today? I don’t know how much longer my heart can take this.

The Yankees would have to be considered the "favorite" from the beginning so long as the money and years were close. 

If/when Andujar gets dealt, that is when I would be very concerned about Machado to the Yankees shortly after. 

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t mean to be rude, but SoxFest will have no bearing on a transaction of this magnitude.  And if we do in fact land Manchado, he will be the sole focus of the press conference.

Also they would definitely wanna get this out very soon to create major buzz for Soxfest. Can't imagine too many tickets have sold for that as of now.

7 minutes ago, Lillian said:

The notion has been posited that the Sox may be waiting to have a press conference, with 3, or more of the acquisitions, particularly the "Tres Amigos". One would have to think that SoxFest would figure into the equation, as well. If such a plan exists, when would the optimum time be, to announce a Machado deal and hold a joint press conference?

No way the internet would keep that secret for 3 weeks.

WSCR had a reporter on this morning from New York and he kind of said it best.  Both of these organizations are pretty buttoned up and nobody really knows what each front office is doing.

Yankee fans want Machado but as he pointed out for the last three years they were getting Harper now they are getting Machado.  His sources said the yanks would not go over $270M but he felt that was more then they actually would. 

He really had no idea where Machado would go.

Edited by Harry Chappas

5 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Also they would definitely wanna get this out very soon to create major buzz for Soxfest. Can't imagine too many tickets have sold for that as of now.

Right. It's not something to announce there. They would want to announce it ASAP to create more buzz and possibly sell more tickets.

13 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

He's been saying that for weeks now.   I wouldn't consider that "smoke" necessarily.  Obviously, I trust our guys here(rabbit, bucket, dave) as they've proven to be reliable before but it just seems like there's so much misinformation going around.  I wouldn't be surprised if this thing drags into February and I wouldn't be surprised if he's signed before I finish typing this.  And I wouldn't be surprised if he signs with us and I wouldn't be surprised if he signs with the Yankees or Phillies.  Just a whole lot of who the hell knows(still) at this point.

Edited by Rowand44

17 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

So now all the smoke is around the Yankees again today? I don’t know how much longer my heart can take this.

The scariest part for me is yankees were definitely in a position where they could just sit and wait and then propose a last offer. They didn't need to be aggressive, so sox could have put in an offer that looked good and feel confident in, then if yankees decide to match it at 90%...the deal could blow up.

But I certainly hope the signings and acquisitions of the sox mean they weren't just doing that as a guess.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

The scariest part for me is yankees were definitely in a position where they could just sit and wait and then propose a last offer. They didn't need to be aggressive, so sox could have put in an offer that looked good and feel confident in, then if yankees decide to match it at 90%...the deal could blow up.

But I certainly hope the signings and acquisitions of the sox mean they weren't just doing that as a guess.

That’s what I’ve been thinking, and I think I mentioned it earlier, but I think we all know the Sox will most likely have a higher offer than the Yankees. It’s more of a matter of how much more money do we need to offer. $30 million, $40 million, $50 million...?

Just now, KnightsOnMintSt said:

That’s what I’ve been thinking, and I think I mentioned it earlier, but I think we all know the Sox will most likely have a higher offer than the Yankees. It’s more of a matter of how much more money do we need to offer. $30 million, $40 million, $50 million...?

30 million and 2 friends?  30 million and 3 friends? 40 million and 2 friends?

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

WSCR had a reporter on this morning from New York and he kind of said it best.  Both of these organizations are pretty buttoned up and nobody really knows what each front office is doing.

Yankee fans want Machado but as he pointed out for the last three years they were getting Harper now they are getting Machado.  His sources said the yanks would not go over $270M but he felt that was more then they actually would. 

He really had no idea where Machado would go.

Just to add a little, he said he was told the Yankees were thinking a contract would be in the $220M - $270M range, but they would be at the low end. He said they haven't offered a contract because it just seems like Machado is just sitting around and nothing is really happening.

6 minutes ago, G&T said:

Just to add a little, he said he was told the Yankees were thinking a contract would be in the $220M - $270M range, but they would be at the low end. He said they haven't offered a contract because it just seems like Machado is just sitting around and nothing is really happening.

White sox need offer  8 years $280M stop messing around and get it done if yankees don't go $250M they have no chance.

Edited by peavy44

2 minutes ago, G&T said:

Was this Sherman?

6 minutes ago, G&T said:

So lets say the Yankees are at 7-year, $220 million and the Sox are at 7-year, $270 million, do we think that is enough for us to land him?

7 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

So lets say the Yankees are at 7-year, $220 million and the Sox are at 7-year, $270 million, do we think that is enough for us to land him?

$50m seems significant (a little over $7m per yer), especially when you are talking about over the same amount of years.

Edited by soxfan2014

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres