Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

That would be great! I've encountered very few Sox fans in real life though. There were over 1,000 people in my high school graduating class and I can count on 2 hands the number of Sox fans I knew. It's sad but not to be unexpected.

I can feel your pain. Years ago I grew up in Fox River Grove (northwest suburb) and you could count the White Sox fans on one hand.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

That would be great! I've encountered very few Sox fans in real life though. There were over 1,000 people in my high school graduating class and I can count on 2 hands the number of Sox fans I knew. It's sad but not to be unexpected.

It's a small sample, but I was at O'hare New Years Eve and easily saw way more people wearing Sox stuff than Cubs stuff. Moments like that help me to remember that there is a sleeping giant of a fanbase here. 

17 minutes ago, fathom said:

FWIW, McGuffey tweeted today that no team is getting both guys

I've suspected all along that neither one of them would want to share the signing headline wherever they ended up.  They both probably want their news day.

1 minute ago, TitoMB345 said:

I was from the northwest suburbs. High School class of 600. There were at least a dozen of us Sox fans..

I grew up in the north suburbs and there were at least several dozen Sox fans (I knew of) in a class of like 550.  I also was a kid during Frank’s hayday so maybe that helped, although ChiSoxMike was likely a kid during 2005 which should have helped even more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I grew up in the north suburbs and there were at least several dozen Sox fans (I knew of) in a class of like 550.  I also was a kid during Frank’s hayday so maybe that helped, although ChiSoxMike was likely a kid during 2005 which should have helped even more.

I was a senior for 2005. I will say though, on White Sox parade day, supposedly 25% of my entire high school (2500 students) called out to attend.

Edited by TitoMB345

4 minutes ago, South Sider said:

It's a small sample, but I was at O'hare New Years Eve and easily saw way more people wearing Sox stuff than Cubs stuff. Moments like that help me to remember that there is a sleeping giant of a fanbase here. 

Oh for sure, Sox fans still exist and in somewhat large numbers, but many have grown tired of the failures of our current regime.  Signing a whale or two could really reinvigorate the fanbase.

2 minutes ago, South Sider said:

Stories tell of the last of the white sox fans. Rumors have it that as you traverse that underground tunnel between the terminals, you can hear their voices in the distance singing "let's go go go white sox".

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Yep, Gurnee. I was a high school senior when the Cubs won in '16. They were showing videos of the parade in every class. The number of bandwagon fans was through the roof. It was awful.

Yeah that sucks.  The worst I had to deal with was the Sosa hype.  A Cubs World Series appearance / victory would have converted a lot of the bandwagoner types.

4 minutes ago, TitoMB345 said:

I was a junior for 2005. I will say though, on White Sox parade day, supposedly 25% of my entire high school (2500 students) called out to attend.

That’s awesome.  I was in Ohio at college unfortunately, so I was stuck with a bunch of douchey Indians (and Reds) fans.  My biggest regret in life is not being in Chicago for that game 4 victory and being able to attend that parade.  At least I got to attend game 1 so that helps.

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I was in 1st grade in 2005, sadly I only vaguely remember that season. I was a fan but it's hard to remember the details at that age. That's why the Sox winning it all again would arguably mean more to me than 2005 because I'd obviously appreciate it way more now. Getting Machado is the first step in making that happen.

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I was in 1st grade in 2005, sadly I only vaguely remember that season. I was a fan but it's hard to remember the details at that age. That's why the Sox winning it all again would arguably mean more to me than 2005 because I'd obviously appreciate it way more now. Getting Machado is the first step in making that happen.

I was in 7th grade in 1959. My science teacher helped bring me out of my depression. LOL    2005 was a Godsend. Very happy to have been part of a victorious World Series! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shipps said:

Imagine how much the entire feel for this team and it’s future will change if they sign Manny. He won’t be the answer but he will be a necessary step in progressing towards a World Series. 

I see manny having a HUGE impact on Moncada and Jimenez when he comes up 

1 minute ago, Mbs1969 said:

I don’t have anything new.  Still a level of confidence.   Remember both Boras and Manny’s agent worked together at one time.   There are egos at play here and no one wants to blink first.  

1 minute ago, Mbs1969 said:

I don’t have anything new.  Still a level of confidence.   Remember both Boras and Manny’s agent worked together at one time.   There are egos at play here and no one wants to blink first.  

If you get something I know you'll give us the update.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres