Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, Jake said:

If he doesn't get something better than 7/175, we're on the verge of a strike in a couple years.

I see no way there isn't at this point, only 2 teams really willing to spend on 2 possible future HOFers and it's almost February

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Its not a lowball offer if it is the best offer.

Hahn is playing this correctly.  I've said it 100 times, but why pay the man $300M if you can get him for $200M.  That $100M will go a long way in filling the other 24 spots on the roster.  You only blink when you need to blink. 

Exactly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think it's pathetic and nobody should be excited because 2021 season is gonna we wiped out and the Sox are gonna lose a year in everybody's primes during peak roster -- AGAIN.

It'll wipe out 2022, I'm pretty sure. But, yeah part of me would be pumped, the other would be dreading the future because of it.

Edited by mqr

4 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

This seems like the opposite of what would happen.

And yet here we are.  It might not seem fair or right, but Manny has no market.  The big boys seem to have no interest in him and none of the mid-market teams want to give out $200 million contracts, least of all to someone who is perceived to be a dirty player who doesn't try hard.

• Like 1

I'm still in with "we have no idea what the actual numbers are and this is just 2 sides posturing through the media".

But on the chance that it is true, all I ask is that if we lose out on this player to somewhere else for a contract that would be totally reasonable from us, people start agreeing with me that Rick Hahn is the worst GM in White Sox history and join me in demanding his removal.

• Love 1

Just now, Perfect Vision said:

And yet here we are.  It might not seem fair or right, but Manny has no market.  The big boys seem to have no interest in him and none of the mid-market teams want to give out $200 million contracts, least of all to someone who is perceived to be a dirty player who doesn't try hard.

The problem is 100% guaranteed contracts.   Owners wouldn't mind paying a larger contract with a certain amount guaranteed, but be able to get out of it if the player doesn't perform.  

1 minute ago, whitesoxwinner said:

I'm honestly thinking of deleting twitter and not looking at sox talk until this is all over. This is unbelievable. This whole saga has shown me that nobody, not one insider, knows what's happening or what will happen outside the team or the agent. 

If you delete twitter and stop checking soxtalk then you will never find out and that would be sad

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm still in with "we have no idea what the actual numbers are and this is just 2 sides posturing through the media".

But on the chance that it is true, all I ask is that if we lose out on this player to somewhere else for a contract that would be totally reasonable from us, people start agreeing with me that Rick Hahn is the worst GM in White Sox history and join me in demanding his removal.

I'm mostly with you. But Hawk Harrelson still does exist.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

let's not castrate anyone until this is over. we simply dont know. isnt this what the media does? 

RT @BNightengale: The #Whitesox made their 7-year, $175 million offer about two weeks ago and haven’t felt the need to alter it, and  bid against themselves . Just like Martinez last year with #Redsox as @Buster_ESPN points out, whose only other known offer was a one year proposal from #Dbacks

Another asshole who can't make up his mind. Didn't he say $200M a week or two ago?

Edited by soxfan49

Just now, southsideirish71 said:

If thats the Sox offer then the Phillies have a great shot at getting both Harper and Machado.  Soxfest should be fun.

If the Phillies offer more so will the Sox....the Phillies have to offer more though.

Again everyone thought, I included, the Dodgers, Nats, cubs, Yankees would all hang in there and be in the mix.  The Yankees have picked up two infielders this off-season...one that was not on the cheap.

If those teams are out you need to now find a team that is contending that is now going to find $25M a year in their budget.......is that team out there.....there are two agents that are hoping so and one is most likely the Phillies but they have made some moves this offseason already and were outbid by Corbin

Think about the Reds, Padres, Pirates, Braves, Brewers, etc. if they were told it would take $300M to get one of these guys and they went in other directions do they now pivot back?  The White Sox could have had $280M sitting there...the agents balked....the White Sox pulled it back and now the other teams that could been in the mix have moved on afte grabbing their Donaldsons, Corbins, Puigs etc.    

8 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

If thats the Sox offer then the Phillies have a great shot at getting both Harper and Machado.  Soxfest should be fun.

If Manny hasn’t decided by next weekend and 7/175 is still the rumor, people will be very angry at soxfest 

Just now, fathom said:

If Manny hasn’t decided by next weekend and 7/175 is still the rumor, people will be very angry at soxfest 

What should they be angry about? I am extremely critical of the White Sox, but why would they bid more than necessary? Who else has a better offer on the table? Of course this all assumes the report is true, a big if.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

It's about being gotten at 7/175...if he does sign for that or even 7$210M, baseball is screwed seven ways to Sunday.  

Jason Heyward signed for 8/$184.......Machado at 8/$240 is low but fair

Look if the Sox get him at 7/$200 nobody will complain but the sport is then obviously going in a direction that will not benefit us as fans or the MLBPA

This isn't like buying an undervalued house because the market crashed this is GM's crashing a market.  Guaranteeing a salary cap and floor in the next negotiation.

A hard salary cap will only make this worse. Teams already refuse to go beyond the luxury tax, why would a salary cap suddenly make them want to spend more than they already do? It will not fix what we are seeing these past two off seasons.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres