Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Something like the Good Housekeeping Seal Of Approval...except for sauces.

Will concur that anything over $360 million or $40 million AAV will provide the White Sox a bit of an out.  That said, the obvious question is going to when, and under what conditions...will they be able to get their guy?

If we go through another year like 2018 in terms of both player development and injuries, it’s going to be even harder for the White Sox next offseason with even more teams increasing the demand for a limited number of truly impact players.

Trading Jay, Castillo and Alonso would be a constant reminder of Machado not being on the team...just like keeping them and pretending it was part of the strategic plan all along, which pretty much NOBODY will buy.

Quite frankly, I don't see how anybody can actually "want" Jay or Alonso on the team if you take Manny out of the equation. Castillo? Obviously he doesn't thrill me either but I feel like he's OK part time.

I don’t buy the mystery team at all. Purely for driving the price up. Sox have this. I have faith Rick Hahn gets his prized FA. There’s been 3 teams for 3 months and all of a sudden there’s a mystery team? GTFO. Machado made 3 visits. That’s it. This just all adds up to late negation tactics to get the White Sox to spend more. 

It doesn't matter how many fucking mystery teams are involved -- if he's going to take the highest offer, the White Sox should win easily. There's literally no reason for it. No one is in a better position to win the bidding. No one has their combination of payroll space, no incumbent player to block, and lack of incentive to rush or change direction.

But in order to get the best price, they have to slow play it.

I'm giving the Sox the benefit of the doubt here because this is how they SHOULD be doing it, and they've been operating in logical ways consistently since the rebuild began.

If Machado signs anywhere else for anything less than $400 million though, I might have to borrow a pitchfork from one of you guys.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

At what AAV will people NOT riot if Machado signs with someone else? Would 8 years/$304M ($38M AAV) be enough to where people draw the line on thinking it's too much? 10 yrs/$360M??

Just curious what type of winning offer from some other team wouldn't cause everyone to riot. Or do we sign Manny at all costs?

If he signs for 8/$300M+ or 10/$360+, I will understand the Sox not going that far.

but I don’t think that will happen. 

We don't have visibility into the negotiations or who, if anyone beyond the WS and Phillies, are in the mix. My sense is Hahn has a 'not to exceed' number (AAV and years) and is in a poker game. He knows what is at stake and strange as this sounds to the masses, I don't think he will get outplayed. Nor do I think he will unnecessarily inflate what we commit to and thereby limit flexibility on future roster upgrades. The risk is with the bankroll JR/et all have allocated. I firmly believe that, if given the mandate to sign MM within the realm of sanity, Hahn will prevail.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres