Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

What is the possibility that Machado has already signed with the Sox, but that both sides have agreed not to disclose it? There are several possible reasons to withhold the information:

1) It could provide better bargaining leverage for the Sox, in their efforts to acquire other pieces, for a competitive run at the Division, this year.

2) It could keep the Phillies from making a desperate offer for Harper, as the only "whale" left, in this year's free agent market. That would give the Sox a chance to make a trade with the Dodgers (Pederson), who may have interest in Harper, but would need to clear an outfield spot and salary, for him. This would keep the price for Harper down, as it would be perceived that there were still two "whales" available, in the free agency market, as opposed to just one.  It would be to Manny's advantage not to disclose the deal, as well, because it helps the his new team acquire more pieces. 

3) It is possible, but not likely, that there is some interest to maximize the announcement's publicity impact, related to Sox Fest, or the sports news cycle. I doubt any of that, but some may have a different opinion.

Would such withholding of the contract's announcement even be permissible, or would it be in violation of the C.B.A.? These are all merely questions. I have no idea.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

What is the possibility that Machado has already signed with the Sox, but that both sides have agreed not to disclose it? There are several possible reasons to withhold the information:

1) It could provide better bargaining leverage for the Sox, in their efforts to acquire other pieces, for a competitive run at the Division, this year.

2) It could keep the Phillies from making a desperate offer for Harper, as the only "whale" left, in this year's free agent market. That would give the Sox a chance to make a trade with the Dodgers (Pederson), who may have interest in Harper, but would need to clear an outfield spot and salary, for him. This would keep the price for Harper down, as it would be perceived that there were still two "whales" available, in the free agency market, as opposed to just one.  It would be to Manny's advantage not to disclose the deal, as well, because it helps the his new team acquire more pieces. 

3) It is possible, but not likely, that there is some interest to maximize the announcement's publicity impact, related to Sox Fest, or the sports news cycle. I doubt any of that, but some may have a different opinion.

Would such withholding of the contract's announcement even be permissible, or would it be in violation of the C.B.A.? These are all merely questions. I have no idea.

I just don't see, A. why it would make any sense, and B. how it wouldn't come out pretty quickly. There are other teams negotiating. If you agreed to a contract, those negotiations would stop, and it would come out. 

They might not want anything to come out today, due to the HOF announcement. But more than a day or two, it would be next to impossible to keep secret.

25 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

It's funny how everyone keeps saying these guys want Stanton's deal. But in reality they are getting Stanton's deal. Stanton's AAV is 25 million, which is the same as 7/175. So I think the issue here is not the dollars, but the years of financial security. 9/225 may get things done. 

Stanton's contract isn't the highest on AAV. That is Greinke's at something like $33 mil. Stanton's contract is the highest in total money. I think Manny wanted to break both records, but the total money barrier is probably more important to him. That being said, they want that money over a shorter timeframe. I imagine if the Sox offered him Stanton's exact deal, he would turn it down. He wants $330 over 10 years, not 13.

5 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

Stanton's contract isn't the highest on AAV. That is Greinke's at something like $33 mil. Stanton's contract is the highest in total money. I think Manny wanted to break both records, but the total money barrier is probably more important to him. That being said, they want that money over a shorter timeframe. I imagine if the Sox offered him Stanton's exact deal, he would turn it down. He wants $330 over 10 years, not 13.

That's from Mannys perspective, the public sees 13/325 and think it is a monstrous deal. 

20 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I would imagine your #2 bullet point is a main reason why it's likely not permissible by the C.B.A.  The last thing the players union wants is a player's salary being depressed by the withholding of another's player's contract.  But the CBA is very long so I can't try to find it right now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

The strangest part of the radio silence is that none of the national guys followed up the sonny gray trade with 'Hard to say what this means for Machado and the Yankees'

Because there’s no need to, they’re out and they’ve been out for ages.

10 minutes ago, TitoMB345 said:

As each day passes, I feel less and less hopeful about a signing :(

Someone help!

I think this only has to do with the Sox not caving in to Lozano's demands.  The Sox seem more than willing to wait this out.  No doubt Lozano is doing everything he can to draw in other bidders or to scare the Sox into increasing their offer.  It doesn't seem like he's succeeding in either, unless you buy the legitimacy of the "mystery team".  But it seems to me that mystery teams only show up when actual teams can't be found.

Manny isn't sitting out 2019, and he's not signing a short term deal.  IMO, the longer this goes on, the better the Sox position.  At some point, Lozano is going to have to re-engage the Sox on their current offer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I think this only has to do with the Sox not caving in to Lozano's demands.  The Sox seem more than willing to wait this out.  No doubt Lozano is doing everything he can to draw in other bidders or to scare the Sox into increasing their offer.  It doesn't seem like he's succeeding in either, unless you buy the legitimacy of the "mystery team".  But it seems to me that mystery teams only show up when actual teams can't be found.

Manny isn't sitting out 2019, and he's not signing a short term deal.  IMO, the longer this goes on, the better the Sox position.  At some point, Lozano is going to have to re-engage the Sox on their current offer.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

Isn't it kind of late in the month for the soxfest schedule to not be announced?

I highly highly doubt the Machado negotiations have anything to do with Soxfest. National guys would pick up the scoop of a signing pretty quick. 

2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I highly highly doubt the Machado negotiations have anything to do with Soxfest. National guys would pick up the scoop of a signing pretty quick. 

Me too, just seems odd they haven't announced the specific lineup with only a few days to go.  Looks like it's been announced a week ahead of time in previous years.

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

The biggest thing with me is I just don't see how they can keep the deal quiet or  From anything leaking?

24 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

he won sit out, but I do think if I were him I'd make sure any long term deal has a very easy opt out. I'd want to get out of the contract to be able to renegotiate after this next MLB strike.

I continue to hope that his contract will have an opt out, as long as it isn't earlier than year 4, or preferably year 5. As many of us have contended, that would keep him on the team, for his prime and also keep him motivated. I love the idea of him playing for another contract, during his time on the Sox. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres