Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

7 minutes ago, shipps said:

He very well might have been trolling yankee fans all along. I got that feel with the yankee relations tweet. 

12A4E0BB-643E-4261-B4F9-6C30F878B25D.jpeg

Earlier, I kind of thought he might be. The Orioles connection, East division fans/reporters would hate the Yankees more than the rest of baseball. This could have been a huge troll job on the fans.

Edited by soxfan2014

He continues to stay with his initial report even though it’s clear that final offers have not been made and there is absolutely nothing close to announce with where everyone stands today. Yet he continues to feed the appetite of yankee fans. The same fans that his favorite team despises. I’m thinking this is a troll job 😂 

5 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yes, as long as they are willing to spend the money.

True enough. I 've posted that if we get Machado the prudent thing to do is not go after Harper. Sure right now the payroll can take both but finishing off the rebuild with a World Series winner might get more difficult with a bloated payroll. Always need the room to add someone  Verlanderesque  down the stretch. I certainly wouldn't be against having both though. Not my money.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NCsoxfan said:

From Rosenthal in The Athletic

Which brings us to the cases of Bryce Harper and Manny Machado, the two leading free agents in this year’s market, and the latest examples of why the game’s current economic system is outdated and flawed.

Entering the third month of free agency, neither player appears close to signing, though as always, talks can accelerate with one text or phone call.

In fact, Machado’s agent, Dan Lozano, is barely engaging clubs at the moment, seemingly taking his time and waiting for a team to jump, according to team executives involved in the negotiations.”

Does this mean that no offers have been made? 

5 minutes ago, shipps said:

He continues to stay with his initial report even though it’s clear that final offers have not been made and there is absolutely nothing close to announce with where everyone stands today. Yet he continues to feed the appetite of yankee fans. The same fans that his favorite team despises. I’m thinking this is a troll job 😂 

I don’t think it’s a troll job at all.  He simply rolled the dice based on some secondhand source and was wrong.  The worst part is if Machado does sign with the Yankees, he’ll claim to have broken the story despite being completely full of shit at the time.

10 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Does this mean that no offers have been made? 

It depends on his source. The Sox seem to be using Levine and Nightengale so I don’t think Rosenthal got this from them. 

10 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Sir - Why don't you make a thread with that info and we can pin it seperately and you can just update it accordingly? I like the suggestion.  Kind of the one-stop place to check for immediate updates vs. the main thread where all of the discussion can happen.  

For once, I want someone to call me "sir" without adding "you're making a scene."

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Good band mentioned in this post as well, close at least. "Can you take me high enough" good theme for the day of rumors.

True story - that song came on the radio while I was watching in elation as the Sox celebrated on the field in Boston in 2005. Every time I hear it, I think of El Duque's mastery and "the point."

12 minutes ago, G&T said:

It depends on his source. The Sox seem to be using Levine and Nightengale so I don’t think Rosenthal got this from them. 

Rosenthal is speaking generally. I know he specifically says Lozano is barely engaging teams, but there was definitely some activity yesterday. Whether that was directly with the agent or internally amongst the club(s), there was definitely activity.  

Man, I thought we had light at the end of the MM tunnel.  Now it appears this could drag on quite a bit longer.  Definitely a frustrating process to follow as a fan.  I can imagine Hahn is pretty frustrated as well, as the rest of the offseason moves hinge on whether or not Machado is landed.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Man, I thought we had light at the end of the MM tunnel.  Now it appears this could drag on quite a bit longer.  Definitely a frustrating process to follow as a fan.  I can imagine Hahn is pretty frustrated as well, as the rest of the offseason moves hinge on whether or not Machado is landed.  

The process really is ridiculous.  Really hope we land a whale, because if not I’ve probably wasted 100+ hours on this site talking about this shit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The process really is ridiculous.  Really hope we land a whale, because if not I’ve probably wasted 100+ hours on this site talking about this shit.

Same here man, the wife is just a tad upset but I can’t get away from it 😂 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don't really blame Machado, I'd be doing the same thing if I were him.  It's just a broken system.  Teams are much smarter than they used to be.  But that being said, if the Sox have an offer like 7 years / $245M on the table, that certainly isn't anything to scoff at.  $35M per year still makes MM the richest AAV ever signed in the game.  But obviously $235M is +/- $100M short of what many of us expected him to land.

I think Hahn is playing this correctly.  No reason to pay him many tens of millions more than we need to.  Play the game and see where we land, but don't be the sucker.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baron said:

May want to check the reply section on someone's twitter profile. Not everything shows up on the main feed. 

Yes.  There are their "tweets", and then next to that is "tweets and replies".  The second one includes stuff where someone responds to a tweet directly, which is what that post looks like.

1 minute ago, Fan O'Faust said:

That's not true, not with less than a handful of teams being seriously engaged for both players.  

The reality is, if the Sox actually do sign one of them, the odds are extremely high that they withdraw from the process with the other one.  I'd even be willing to bet that both players know that this is the White Sox position and would fully expect that both players have been told that the first to accept an offer is the one they will sign. 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

The reality is, if the Sox actually do sign one of them, the odds are extremely high that they withdraw from the process with the other one.  I'd even be willing to bet that both players know that this is the White Sox position and would fully expect that both players have been told that the first to accept an offer is the one they will sign. 

There would be a little more urgency by the players if this were true. If the sox pull out on one of them they lose a lot of leverage.

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yes it is.  We are talking about 1% tops, probably a fraction of that to be honest.

We could still envision it! I agree that it's very unlikely, but like I have said before, one or both of those guys will opt out in 3-4 years. The only way the Sox payroll is F'd when they have to pay the kids is if both of these guys turn into Heywards. I'm sure there are some discussions in the organization of signing both guys. But yeah, that's probably not happening.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox could most definitely fit both into the payroll.  Are they willing to expand their payroll north of $175M from 2022-2025?  Who knows.  But I do tend to agree that they would be a bit more sense of urgency from both guys if they felt teams teams like the Phillies or White Sox would only be interested in one, as that constitutes a large percentage of the interested teams.

It all comes down to price.  If the Sox can actually get Machado signed for under $250M, I think Harper is more realistic.  I also think having MM in hand would interest Harper.  But as I've said many times, I just don't think Harper is really entertaining the Sox seriosuly.  He seems like a guy that loves the limelight and is meant for a team like LAD, the Cubs, Yankees or Red Sox.  Obviously only half those teams are even somewhat in contention for him, but I think he waits it out until he gets what he wants, where he wants.  Machado is a different story, IMO.  

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres