Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

4 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Yup, George's kids are cheapskates.  Their revenue has tripled since 2000 yet they spend the same amount as they did back then when the old man was alive.

b9woYgO.jpg

Would love a graph of the White Sox Revenue and player payroll. :o

6 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Yup, George's kids are cheapskates.  Their revenue has tripled since 2000 yet they spend the same amount as they did back then when the old man was alive.

b9woYgO.jpg

Time will tell if they’re cheapskates or smart baseball executives. The product they have been able to put on the field without outrageous spending has been pretty impressive. The revenue hike you shown is a strong indicator of business success, now they just need a ring to cap it off.

13 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

That’s a false assumption under this regime. They have been a lot more careful on what they spend their money on and have been focused on player development internally. If they were hesistant to throw big money on Harpchado when they were below luxury tax, they would be less inclined now.

2018 was the first season they didn’t face a CBT penalty since it’s inception which since it resets makes them “first time” offenders again, not really that careful if you ask me, but I get what you are saying, however....

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2018/11/11/18083580/yankees-offseason-free-agents-self-imposed-salary-cap-payroll-cbt-luxury-tax-cashman-steinbrenner

If their payroll is currently around 193 million they still have around 13 million to play with before even crossing the thresh hold and considering 2018 was the first time ever they were under it, I highly doubt it’s going to stop them from landing a player like Machado 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/new-york-yankees-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

9 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

I don't think he was calling the cheapskates.  They are focusing on development and getting more players within, but that doesn't mean they won't spend.  It doesn't need to be one or the other.

Could they use Machado and do they have the money for him? Sure they could and they do. But the ROI for that investment isn’t as strong as spending it elsewhere. These are the type of decisions they are trying to make internally under the new regime and is causing split between decision makers. That’s why I think it’s far from a guarantee that they will spend the money on Manny.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

This is why we cant play games with the Yanks. They are who he wants (supposedly) and we need to put our foot on their throat now and blow them away.

I agree.  This is simply isn't a case of 3 (or however many) equally-situated bidders where they can strategically place bids to ensure they don't over-bid.   Sox are at the bottom.  Instead of using Yankee reticence to try to get a bargain, the Sox should seize the opportunity to "blow them away."

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

2018 was the first season they didn’t face a CBT penalty since it’s inception which since it resets makes them “first time” offenders again, not really that careful if you ask me, but I get what you are saying, however....

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2018/11/11/18083580/yankees-offseason-free-agents-self-imposed-salary-cap-payroll-cbt-luxury-tax-cashman-steinbrenner

If their payroll is currently around 193 million they still have around 13 million to play with before even crossing the thresh hold and considering 2018 was the first time ever they were under it, I highly doubt it’s going to stop them from landing a player like Machado 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/new-york-yankees-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

They stayed under luxury tax for the first time as a result of careful spending and re-shifting their focus to player development. They have not been selling off contracts and assets to try to get under it like the dodgers are doing. It’s a new philosophy that this ownership believes in, that’s why I see them making more measured decisions going forward than irresponsible ones.

Also the $193 mil figure you put forth does not include player benefit costs. which is about $15 mil, putting them right at or into luxury tax already.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

Unfortunately it’s the Yankees we are talking about and I really don’t think they care about cash

Fortunately for the rest of Major League Baseball, that isn’t true because there’s zero reason the Yankees couldn’t have a $300M+ payroll and still turn over a tidy profit.  For some reason the luxury tax is actually a deterrent for most big market clubs.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Fortunately for the rest of Major League Baseball, that isn’t true because there’s zero reason the Yankees couldn’t have a $300M+ payroll and still turn over a tidy profit.  For some reason the luxury tax is actually a deterrent for most big market clubs.

I want real, actual penalities for Luxury tax. Make it if you go over, you lose your 4th RD pick. And then if you go $10M over you also lose your 3rd RD pick. Next $10M you also lose your 2nd RD, and then next $10M you lose your 1st RD pick. So for any team that goes $30M over, you've now lost your first 4 picks. Any dollar after that has a 50% tax.

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I want real, actual penalities for Luxury tax. Make it if you go over, you lose your 4th RD pick. And then if you go $10M over you also lose your 3rd RD pick. Next $10M you also lose your 2nd RD, and then next $10M you lose your 1st RD pick. So for any team that goes $30M over, you've now lost your first 4 picks. Any dollar after that has a 50% tax.

The players union would never okay that.  I think owners would love more of a reason not to spend money.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

A hard cap would be amazing with a minimum floor that you have to meet as well, but as we know that will never happen.

11 hours ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

This whole process is becoming very tiring... But I cannot seem to pry myself away from this board for any considerable amount of time. Hope we get some news soon! Lots of little pieces of info seem to be trending positively towards the White Sox I’d say.

Hey everybody loves a good soap opera whether it's daytime or primetime. The Sox might get their "Dynasty" if they are able to sign one of "The Young and the Restless." Stay tuned for either "Dark Shadows" or "The Guiding Light" ,"All My Children. Let's not get so stressed that we end up in "General Hospital" for these are "The Days of Our Lives."

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Hey everybody loves a good soap opera whether it's daytime or primetime. The Sox might get their "Dynasty" if they are able to sign one of "The Young and the Restless." Stay tuned for either "Dark Shadows" or "The Guiding Light" ,"All My Children. Let's not get so stressed that we end up in "General Hospital" for these our "The Days of our Lives."

d80b1d497358d58ea5bf8423c7f58912.gif

Yankees might also look at Machado a little differently than other teams.  While he’s a world class player, the Yankees are ALWAYS in play for guys of his caliber—whereas with the Sox, these opportunities don’t come around often.  If the Yankees choose to pass on Machado, they’ll just be more in the mix for the next available star free agent.  It’s not now or never for them.  Still think if I’m them, my next mega piece to add would be to the starting rotation over ANOTHER bat.  

25 minutes ago, FT35 said:

Yankees might also look at Machado a little differently than other teams.  While he’s a world class player, the Yankees are ALWAYS in play for guys of his caliber—whereas with the Sox, these opportunities don’t come around often.  If the Yankees choose to pass on Machado, they’ll just be more in the mix for the next available star free agent.  It’s not now or never for them.  Still think if I’m them, my next mega piece to add would be to the starting rotation over ANOTHER bat.  

Maybe they are saving their money for Trout. He is a better player than either of these 2.

Here is where I’m at with Machado. I think it is down to the Yankees and White Sox. I think the Yankees have an offer around 5-year, $150 million. White Sox have an offer at about 7-year, $200 million. White Sox offer is better in terms of years and overall money. However, Yankees are a better team right now, and he’ll be able to sign his next huge contract two years sooner than he would with the Sox. I think the highest the Sox would go is $250 million and the highest the Yankees will go is $200 million over a different amount of years.

Edited by KnightsOnMintSt

4 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

If the highest offer right now is 7 years between $200-$250 mil that is considerably less than what many thought he was going to get. 

Does anyone on here feel if the Sox went up to $300 mil for 10 years we’d get Manny now?  

I dont know if he would sign it immediately, but if all these reports about offers are true, I think that would all but get it done.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres