Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 hour ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Here is where I’m at with Machado. I think it is down to the Yankees and White Sox. I think the Yankees have an offer around 5-year, $150 million. White Sox have an offer at about 7-year, $200 million. White Sox offer is better in terms of years and overall money. However, Yankees are a better team right now, and he’ll be able to sign his next huge contract two years sooner than he would with the Sox. I think the highest the Sox would go is $250 million and the highest the Yankees will go is $200 million over a different amount of years.

Is that Sox offer confirmed? I thought that was just speculation, by some of the reporters, who said that the Sox offer is "closer to $200 million". If that is true, I would guess $210 million, which would be $30 Million per year, for the 7 years. 

That's where the opt out could make the difference. If the Sox offered $35 million per year, for the first 5 years, with an opt out, after the 5TH year, and $25 Million, for each of the last 2 years, that might be enough to entice him to the South Side. If the Yankees have a $30 million per year offer, on the table, the Sox are probably going to have to go to approximately $35 million per year, at least for the first 5 years, in order to move the needle.

Edited by Lillian

37 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Is that Sox offer confirmed? I thought that was just speculation, by some of the reporters, who said that the Sox offer is "closer to $200 million". If that is true, I would guess $210 million, which would be $30 Million per year, for the 7 years. 

That's where the opt out could make the difference. If the Sox offered $35 million per year, for the first 5 years, with an opt out, after the 5TH year, and $25 Million, for each of the last 2 years, that might be enough to entice him to the South Side. If the Yankees have a $30 million per year offer, on the table, the Sox are probably going to have to go to approximately $35 million per year, at least for the first 5 years, in order to move the needle.

Not a confirmed offer, just me trying to piece together things I’ve heard, combined with my opinion. I think the offers for Machado are far less than what we expected. For some reason I think that $200 million is the most they’ll offer for Machado, because they have all the leverage. They already have a really good left side of the infield. Yes, any team gets better adding Machado. However, they were a 100-win team last year, they don’t need him as much as the White Sox, and I think that will be shown in the offer from New York.

I get that it is good business savvy to not put your best offers forward too soon, and to not bid against yourself. It makes complete sense. 

Is there any argument for the Sox to just go ahead and blow everyone away, get closer to 300 million than 200 million, and try to push this thing to the finish line? 

Manny was obviously expecting 300+, and a slow market has caused bidding to stay low. Isn't there some incentive for the Sox to go ahead and get this deal done instead of fucking around and playing the normal bidding game? They have gone so far to show Manny that he is wanted by "attempting" to trade for him, to trading for Alonso, why not go the extra mile, put a few more dollars in his pocket and try to seal this deal? Isn't he, by WAR standards, worth say a 10 year/290 million contract? Heck if he's so bent on 300, why not offer 10/300. If nothing else, Lozano can call it a huge win (if reports are true that offers are closer to 200), and stick it in Boras' craw by having Manny sign a contract that Harper turned down at the beginning of the offseason. 

I don't know, I just continue to think that the Sox are not a top destination due to poor handling of the franchise over the past few years. I feel like the price you pay for that is that you might need to blow a player away with an offer to get it to the finish line.

Or, I could be wrong since we're not within WSD's 5 day expectation yet. 

I personally think Sox are at 7/$230M and the Yankees are more like 5/$160M. Phillies are the wildcard IMO. Manny is just waiting for offers to increase. 

As frustrating as the process is, Hahn is playing his cards correctly here. I’d be willing to go 10/$300M personally and front load it, and that may ultimately be where we land, but don’t see the point in rushing into it with the situation as it currently stands. 

6 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Normally I wouldn't want the Sox to bid against themselves, but this situation is different given that it's a player of Machado's caliber. I say they up their offer now and get this done.

This is what the agents are waiting for, one GM to blink.

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I personally think Sox are at 7/$230M and the Yankees are more like 5/$160M. Phillies are the wildcard IMO. Manny is just waiting for offers to increase. 

As frustrating as the process is, Hahn is playing his cards correctly here. I’d be willing to go 10/$300M personally and front load it, and that may ultimately be where we land, but don’t see the point in rushing into it with the situation as it currently stands. 

Have to think at this point the offers are just so underwhelming. Such high expectations coming into this off season, and now the offers seem so much less. I would imagine if the Yankees were even close to what we thought the offers would be, he would've already signed.

Really curious to see the final numbers.

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That's big difference in money but its low offers.

28 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Normally I wouldn't want the Sox to bid against themselves, but this situation is different given that it's a player of Machado's caliber. I say they up their offer now and get this done.

You gotta think, though, that the people involved know so much more than we do. I'm sure if Manny's thinking about signing with New York, his agent is telling our FO that, in a bid to draw out a bigger offer to swing the choice. These guys aren't working with a few vague tweets like we are, so I'd bet if they're not upping the offer, it's because they know it's not necessary. 

1 hour ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Not a confirmed offer, just me trying to piece together things I’ve heard, combined with my opinion. I think the offers for Machado are far less than what we expected. For some reason I think that $200 million is the most they’ll offer for Machado, because they have all the leverage. They already have a really good left side of the infield. Yes, any team gets better adding Machado. However, they were a 100-win team last year, they don’t need him as much as the White Sox, and I think that will be shown in the offer from New York.

When Manny is ready to sign and show the Sox he is serious there will be a good offer. Then the phone lines will be burning up. 

3 minutes ago, pcq said:

When Manny is ready to sign and show the Sox he is serious there will be a good offer. Then the phone lines will be burning up. 

I think the Sox already have a good offer. Like someone else suggested, $230 million over 7 years still puts him over $32 million per season. And honestly might be better than a 10-year, $300 million deal. Yeah, the 10-year deal is safer, but the 7-year deal provides him a chance for another huge contract. 

I really believe the offers have been made, and for him he’s just deciding how much playing for the Yankees, his childhood team, is worth to him.

5 minutes ago, default said:
  • Insulting someone's intelligence will be considered a personal attack.

Asking how someone, who went up and down the board claiming sources and trashing others for having their own, how their predictions are going really isn't an attack on their intelligence.

But if you'd like it to be considered as such, I can also take these into consideration.

On 1/3/2019 at 2:24 PM, default said:

Why let this child back on the board if you're just going to heckle him?  Get him the fuck outta here.  The block feature is useless when people keep quoting him.  This is fucking absurd.

On 1/3/2019 at 2:26 PM, default said:

Yes.  And then posters who have blocked him don't end up seeing his trash as quoted material in other's posts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres