Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

So let's summarize the positives so far:

1. Chili's source said that Machado loved the Chicago visit and wanted to sign with the Sox (the same source that had the Herrera scoop).

2. Sox sign two of Machado's closest friends in Alonso and Jay. One of them happens to be the brother of his wife.

3. A Dodgers insider said he talked to one of Manny's former teammates, and that teammate said he thinks Manny will sign with the Sox.

4. Bucket came here and told us to relax because the Sox were VERY LIKELY going to get this done.

5. WSD has confirmed via his sources that the Sox are indeed in a very good spot to sign Manny.

6. We all know that we have the space to spend big, and Y2Jimmy0 recently reminded us that the Sox are not being cheap.

7. raBBit seems very optimistic lately, which is different than how he felt prior to this past week.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

That doesn't mean he still doesn't want the $300m.

True.  I should have elaborated.  There was a positive air yesterday that this could be coming to an end and that Machado was going to end up signing for less than 10 years and less than $300M.  Heyman's tweet makes it seem like there's been no movement from anyone on getting him.  Like I said, it could all be BS based on guesses and wishes.

4 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

1. Chili's source said that Machado loved the Chicago visit and wanted to sign with the Sox (the same source that had the Herrera scoop).

2. Sox sign two of Machado's closest friends in Alonso and Jay. One of them happens to be the brother of his wife.

3. A Dodgers insider said he talked to one of Manny's former teammates, and that teammate said he thinks Manny will sign with the Sox.

4. Bucket came here and told us to relax because the Sox were VERY LIKELY going to get this done.

5. WSD has confirmed via his sources that the Sox are indeed in a very good spot to sign Manny.

6. We all know that we have the space to spend big, and Y2Jimmy0 recently reminded us that the Sox are not being cheap.

7. raBBit seems very optimistic lately, which is different than how he felt prior to this past week.

This is a very good summary!

5 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

thats a good list.. but i wouldnt want to play with my brother in law.... just saying

Really seems like Machado’s agent is waiting for a team to blink.  Honestly, if we’re already at 7/$245M or so (purely my speculation), I say just go 10/$300M and be done with it.  Make those last three years worth $20M, $20M, & $15M respectively.  Who really cares about the $55M eight years from now and it potentially reduces our luxury tax burden during our comeptive window.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Can we add that Alex Colome, Wellington Castillo, and Ivan Nova all played on the Dominican team with Machado 2 years ago?

1 minute ago, smellysox said:

Well I stepped away for 2 hours. What did I miss? Heyman tweeted something? I guess it wasn't good if we're making lists of all the positives. 

MM wants 300 plus mil. Sox and Phillies arent near it, Yankees haven't submitted offer and are still the preference.

4 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Starting to think the Braves are the mystery team. They have the money to sign Machado.

Where's he gonna play?  They already paid Donaldson $20M for this season, and have Swanson at SS, Albies at 2B and Carmargo hanging around.

I agree Braves would have made a ton of sense without Donaldson, but I don't see it now.   

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Really seems like Machado’s agent is waiting for a team to blink.  Honestly, if we’re already at 7/$245M or so (purely my speculation), I say just go 10/$300M and be done with it.  Make those last three years worth $20M, $20M, & $15M respectively.  Who really cares about the $55M eight years from now and it potentially reduces our luxury tax burden during our comeptive window.

Let's blink. I want him and if it takes $300 mil then let's get it done and soon! Sure it's not my money, but the Sox said they were going to be aggressive so let's get it done before we lose him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Where's he gonna play?  They already paid Donaldson $20M for this season, and have Swanson at SS, Albies at 2B and Carmargo hanging around.

I agree Braves would have made a ton of sense without Donaldson, but I don't see it now.   

Swanson isn't blocking anyone... There have already been rumors they'd like to trade him

I think it's time to come forward with something.
Back in 2011 I argued feverishly on various message boards that Machado was overrated as a prospect and Grant Green was going to be the better future ballplayer.

Obviously Manny saw this and is reluctant to sign with the Sox because of this.

Mea culpa.

• Haha 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres