Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

4 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

Regardless of what happens at least we know the Sox gave it a hell of a shot. The only thing they could do to win outright is offer way too much money. 

Personally I think We get him. I don’t think the Yankees are sold and I think we’ve done more than philly. 

Have we even heard anything about the philly offer?

If Machado really wants to play for the Phillies, who have wanted him since the middle of last season, then he better make his mind up very, very soon.

Harper meeting could persuade Phillies to turn attention away from Machado | Bob Brookover

https://www.philly.com/phillies/bryce-harper-phillies-las-vegas-manny-machado-john-middleton-mlb-free-agency-20190110.html

If true, you have to think the Phillies are the favorites to sign the 26-year-old superstar infielder, unless Machado really has a burning desire to play with his brother-in-law, Yonder Alonso, and his close friend, Jon Jay, both of whom have joined the Chicago White Sox this offseason.

Know this: If Machado really wants to play for the Phillies, who have wanted him since the middle of last season, then he better make his mind up very, very soon. If he does not, he is going to allow agent Scott Boras to make his pitch as to why Bryce Harper is the better fit and better player for the Philadelphia Phillies. The meeting between the sides is scheduled for Saturday in Harper’s hometown, Las Vegas.

The second part cannot be argued. Harper is clearly the more-recognizable face and the player more likely to get the phones ringing in the ticket office. According to sportspromedia.com, Harper was the 13th-most marketable athlete in the world last year. He was 22nd on that list in 2017. Machado did not make the list either year. Boras also will argue that Harper will not only improve ticket sales but will drive up television ratings. He is not wrong.

Finally, the Harper landscape has drastically changed. The Nationals are back in the conversation for the player they drafted first overall in 2010. Should they get him, they will be the National League favorite to reach the World Series, even if the Phillies sign Machado. If the Phillies get Harper, they keep him from the Nats. They also make their own lineup more balanced, with Harper serving as the left-handed slugger who complements the right-handed-hitting Rhys Hoskins and Andrew McCutchen.

Edited by caulfield12

Don't worry about a coach. Don't worry about his friends and in laws. It comes down to money, plain and simple. Whoever shows him the most gets him. With that being said, I'm out. Have a good night Sox Talk. Hopefully he signs while I'm asleep lol.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If Machado really wants to play for the Phillies, who have wanted him since the middle of last season, then he better make his mind up very, very soon.

The middle of last season, that's it? I'm pretty sure the White Sox have wanted Manny for years 

7 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:

The delicious twist to all this would be the Sox swooping in and signing Harper before Manny signs anywhere. Not that i foresee that as likely, but it would be a massive wrench in da gears

To do that, they would have to offer $325-375 million...even then, he'd probably give the Dodgers and Nationals time to make one last final offer to beat those numbers, especially if they were closer to $325 than $400.

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

I think they've wanted him for years as well, but have been trying to get him since mid-last year (in a trade).

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Marco Paddy or KW quote from the first time they scouted Machado, lol?

I was half-joking as I'm sure both teams have wanted him since he was a draft prospect and have planned to make a big FA run at him for at least a couple years. I just think the wording of it is funny, as if the author thought that Machado was letting some huge, life-changing opportunity vanish and he doesn't have any other options

• Like 1

Love the confidence of Phillies' fans.   Some think they're getting both guys.

Then there's the opposite side of the fan spectrum, those of little faith (notice, no mention of the White Sox, either).

• Yankees. Cubs. Dodgers. Red Sox.

Or another:

• On the other hand if they're only bidding against the White Sox, they should be able to get Machado for a bargain rate.

Edited by caulfield12

8 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I was half-joking as I'm sure both teams have wanted him since he was a draft prospect and have planned to make a big FA run at him for at least a couple years. I just think the wording of it is funny, as if the author thought that Machado was letting some huge, life-changing opportunity vanish and he doesn't have any other options

I guess if they don't sign Machado, the reasoning or argument is not going to be the money but the fact that they weren't able to successfully bring him to Chicago during the 2018 season to give him an "audition/tryout" that would have convinced him firsthand of the fit as well as the talent in the pipeline.

Edited by caulfield12

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I guess if they don't sign Machado, the reasoning or argument is not going to be the money but the fact that they weren't able to successfully bring him to Chicago during the 2018 season to give him an "audition/tryout" that would have convinced him firsthand of the fit as well as the talent in the pipeline.

It won’t be the money we lose on. And that’s all we can ask. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Love the confidence of Phillies' fans.   Some think they're getting both guys.

Then there's the opposite side of the fan spectrum, those of little faith (notice, no mention of the White Sox, either).

• Yankees. Cubs. Dodgers. Red Sox.

Or another:

• On the other hand if they're only bidding against the White Sox, they should be able to get Machado for a bargain rate.

People were filling out hypothetical lineups with Machado and Harper in them yesterday. It's natural for all fan bases to be overly optimistic about this sort of thing.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres