Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

It appears playing SS is going to be a thing. It would be much easier if he would just play 3B for his money. But moving Anderson to 2B or 3B shouldn't be an issue. It's a shame if he has to move though. He was really improving at SS. 

I think he wanted to play SS to get paid more. I don't think it's a dealbreaker at this point because he won't be playing SS in NY or Philly either. 

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think he wanted to play SS to get paid more. I don't think it's a dealbreaker at this point because he won't be playing SS in NY or Philly either. 

The good news is he was a +5 DRS as a SS with the Dodgers.  So he is probably not as bad a SS as his overall numbers suggest. Some felt the problem was positioning. I guess Buck isn't into analytics. 

But playing 3B is obviously ideal.

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think if the Sox are dead set on moving Yoan to 3rd, then it makes sense. It’s not ideal, but it also gives them the best chance to fit Madrigal on the roster next year.

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

And then Tim Anderson moves to CF?

To me it's just too much movement. Hopefully, Manny signs, plays 3B, keeps TA at SS, keep Moncada at 2B. If Moncada's issues persist, and Madrigal is pushing at the door, maybe move him to CF. Or if TA takes a step back, then move him to CF and play musical chairs. 

I would guess they would want to sort this out as quickly as possible, and hopefully eventually either TA or Moncada is going to have to play the OF or 1B. That would mean Madrigal has developed and Manny is in the fold.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

To me it's just too much movement. Hopefully, Manny signs, plays 3B, keeps TA at SS, keep Moncada at 2B. If Moncada's issues persist, and Madrigal is pushing at the door, maybe move him to CF. Or if TA takes a step back, then move him to CF and play musical chairs. 

I would guess they would want to sort this out as quickly as possible, and hopefully eventually either TA or Moncada is going to have to play the OF or 1B. That would mean Madrigal has developed and Manny is in the fold.

We also happen to have another fairly highly touted prospect in the minors who should stay at CF as well.

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The good news is he was a +5 DRS as a SS with the Dodgers.  So he is probably not as bad a SS as his overall numbers suggest. Some felt the problem was positioning. I guess Buck isn't into analytics. 

But playing 3B is obviously ideal.

There is a move towards "positionless" baseball...teams like Milwaukee are trying it.  In some regards I think different positions shouldn't be difficult for these guys to play--I mean, shoot...they have been playing them all since little league, and they are pros--they should be able to play a position that is literally 20 yards away from their other position.  But THEN I see stupid defensive mistakes being made--the nuances of the position being devalued or straight-up missed--outs being missed...all while effecting a player's plate production while they "learn" that new position.  It's not as easy as people think it is.  But if there was ever a reason and a year to shift people around a little...

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They'll have the 2019 season to figure it out. I don't think 1B would be an option for either of them. Their athleticism and range should be wasted there. OF would be the better option.

1 minute ago, FT35 said:

There is a move towards "positionless" baseball...teams like Milwaukee are trying it.  In some regards I think different positions shouldn't be difficult for these guys to play--I mean, shoot...they have been playing them all since little league, and they are pros--they should be able to play a position that is literally 20 yards away from their other position.  But THEN I see stupid defensive mistakes being made--the nuances of the position being devalued or straight-up missed--outs being missed...all while effecting a player's plate production while they "learn" that new position.  It's not as easy as people think it is.  But if there was ever a reason and a year to shift people around a little...

Yoan Moncada has definitely not been playing all positions since little league and I think I'd say the same thing about Tim (wasn't he a football player?)

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

We also happen to have another fairly highly touted prospect in the minors who should stay at CF as well.

Yes, but for now he is putting up sub .700 OPS in A ball and can't stay on the field, and except for the AFL , hasn't hit a homer in the US yet. Right now, he isn't on the radar until at least 2021. By then there will be other spots.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If we can keep him healthy...granted, Robert’s injuries this year were mostly related to base running.  He played the majority of his time in LF for Cuba and in Series Nacional, definitely has the speed/range for CF and a strong but not Adolfo-esque arm for RF.

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Nope. He did say he was open to moving earlier in the offseason if that’s what the team wanted, but what player wouldn’t say that? I do t like the idea of him moving off SS. He’s shown a lot of improvement. 

Tim Anderson has the tools to be a top tier defensive SS. No one else in the Sox system can say that. He has great range and a cannon of an arm. He keeps getting better at it.

I absolutely hate the idea of moving Timmy off of SS for an inferior defensive player. 

• Thanks 3

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres