Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

4 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

In the race to "scoop" people, lower tier bloggers are going to take risks to increase their credibility.

The idea that some random guy in Australia had that level of information was not really believable.

The same with WSD the other day.

They are taking readily available information and coming up with plausible guess. They then say "sauces" and if it doesnt pan out it really isnt a huge deal. 

Clark backed himself into a corner, and until today I think he thought it would pan out. The problem is that his scoop became too big. 

Icarus.  Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  It was a fun 15 minutes of internet fame for him, at least.

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Since he said something different yesterday, I take it he has no source to be trusted.

I think he was saying Machado to the Sox last week while watching his show as well so I don’t think it’s based on a source just his ever changing gut feeling 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Clark really backed himself in. He said final offers were in, and it was all decided. That’s about as far out on a limb as one could go. 

I am sure in Machado ends up with the Yankees in a week or two, he will return saying he was correct. But he is still wrong.

I just don't get why he would think they have come to an agreement and then decided to sit on it for two weeks. Those rumors always make zero sense.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Clark really backed himself in. He said final offers were in, and it was all decided. That’s about as far out on a limb as one could go. 

I am sure in Machado ends up with the Yankees in a week or two, he will return saying he was correct. But he is still wrong.

He got overzealous because he wanted to get his name out there. Just saying that he was going to Yankees wasnt enough, so he had to make that other part up. 

It was simple. The rumors were Machado would decide in early January. So he guessed final offers were in and that the signing would be soon.

I think he actually broke something one time, and was bitter he didnt get credit. 

8 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

In the race to "scoop" people, lower tier bloggers are going to take risks to increase their credibility.

The idea that some random guy in Australia had that level of information was not really believable.

The same with WSD the other day.

They are taking readily available information and coming up with plausible guess. They then say "sauces" and if it doesnt pan out it really isnt a huge deal. 

Clark backed himself into a corner, and until today I think he thought it would pan out. The problem is that his scoop became too big. 

You can say that and be 100 percent correct about Dan Clark but there is too much smoke that has been repeated almost word for word at times from what WSD has said and then other national reporters tweeting out days later the same thing he said, so I don’t think he’s throwing shit at the wall to see if it sticks. He had the Tulo deal, he’s had the mixed feelings on Machado and the Yanks front office just to name a few.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I would go with the Dag Kittlaus who created Siri and graduated 6  years ahead of me at the same high school as the most famous person from City, but hey, you are 5000 miles from here, so I am sure you know better.  If you are older, you could also go with Don Larsen, Abe Gibron,  John Parry, or Anne Baxter.

Nobody cares about Dag, unless they are the same ones who care about Tim Berners-Lee. Highly significant/consequential, but not necessarily famous.  You can make arguments for Larsen and Baxter, but Indiana is a basketball state, and everything else is secondary.  If you say New Castle twenty years from now, the Alfords will still come up.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

And, yet ever since Rodon and especially Luis Robert, we have consistently been hearing the White Sox are doing business in a completely different way than ever before.

Sure, but that doesn't mean the Sox are going to negotiate against themselves, like most teams do with Boras. 

New way of doing business does not mean blank check for Boras.  The franchise has changed in regards to drafting, and international signings.  I believe they will deal with Boras, but I don't believe the team will get wrapped up in an ARod Texas fiasco.  I believe that is what we are going to see with Harper and the Phillies.

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I would go with the Dag Kittlaus who created Siri and graduated 6  years ahead of me at the same high school as the most famous person from City, but hey, you are 5000 miles from here, so I am sure you know better.  If you are older, you could also go with Don Larsen, Abe Gibron,  John Parry, or Anne Baxter.

Adam Timmerman is from my little hometown in Iowa.

3 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/DanClarkSports/status/1083854914327998464

at least he was a man of his word and donated some money to charity 

I’m surprised by all the love he’s getting in the replies to that tweet. He was a complete tool to Sox fans and I have zero remorse. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

You can say that and be 100 percent correct about Dan Clark but there is too much smoke that has been repeated almost word for word at times from what WSD has said and then other national reporters tweeting out days later the same thing he said, so I don’t think he’s throwing shit at the wall to see if it sticks. He had the Tulo deal, he’s had the mixed feelings on Machado and the Yanks front office just to name a few.

WSD admitted in this very thread that he didnt have actual contract figures and just used what seemed reasonable. So he absolutely is doing what I am saying, he even admitted it. 

Im not saying guys like that cant break news. Just when you have to make a living off it, you start to cut corners and blend what your "sources" have said, with things that make sense. As long as you do it right, you never get caught.

There are 3 penalty tiers to the Luxury Tax. For 2019 they are $206M, $226M, and $246M. For a three consecutive years payor, the Nationals, these brackets are taxed at 50%, 62%, and 95%. The Nats are already at $200M      .  Add in the $15M that every team has to include as a league-wide assessment and the Nats are already in the penalty box at $215M

Add in Harper Aav of $35M   The first $11M of that gets taxed at 50%, $5.5M  next $20M gets taxed at 62%, $12.4M  last $4M gets taxed at 95%, $3.8M  

Total taxes on Harper $35M is an additional $21.7M  or $56.7M/yr   Any additional payroll will be fully taxed at 95%  

Other penalties apply  This will go on until Nats reset below the first threshold  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

https://twitter.com/buster_espn/status/1083839343452667904?s=21 I don’t think Manny gets 10 years like Buster seems to think right? Everything we hear is 7-8?

Getting into free agency again at 33-34 doesn't make much sense. He should be pushing for and deserves a 10 year deal. This is a 26 year old player on a HoF trajectory.

33 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

You got me, great job. I already said about 1000 times I fell for so,e BS. But have fun stalking.

No one is stalking you. But you have been one of the most skeptical and even negative posters against this regime. You already had your fire Hahn posts ready after the Dan Clark tweets, and claiming MM to Yankees was a done deal, just because they are the Yankees and we are the White Sox. Yet you were giving people hard time for falling for any pro-Sox tweets. And then there’s all the crap posts about Sox’s biggest contract being Abreu and there is no way we even have a shot in this race. Quit living in the past if you don’t want to get roasted, realize thing are changing and that this FO is giving the effort to turn the franchise around and change its perception. We’re only 2 years into the rebuild and we were off to a good start, give Hahn a chance before bringing out the ax , buddy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, thxfrthmmrs said:

No one is stalking you. But you have been one of the most skeptical and even negative posters against this regime. You already had your fire Hahn posts ready after the Dan Clark tweets, and claiming MM to Yankees was a done deal, just because they are the Yankees and we are the White Sox. Yet you were giving people hard time for falling for any pro-Sox tweets. And then there’s all the crap posts about Sox’s biggest contract being Abreu and there is no way we even have a shot in this race. Quit living in the past if you don’t want to get roasted, realize thing are changing and that this FO is giving the effort to turn the franchise around and change its perception. We’re only 2 years into the rebuild and we were off to a good start, give Hahn a chance before bringing out the ax , buddy.

Ok.Rick Hahn is a great GM. He has nothing to do with the White Sox being 134 games under .500 his 6 seasons,even if the best he could muster was 78 wins in the at least 3 seasons he was all in.

Rick Hahn and Kenny Williams should not be doing this rebuild, whether you like it or not. I would venture to guess the vast majority here would agree with that. So stalk them.

• Haha 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres