Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

14 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I’m not one to get overly optimistic, but this seems like a final effort by Machado’s camp to raise those offers.

Bryce to the Phillies and Manny to the White Sox seems close to me. I personally don’t even think the Phillies are even that in on Manny anymore with their full attention seeming to be on Harper. I think this is a final push to exclusively elevate the Sox offer slightly.

I could see the Sox being at 7-year, $230 million, and this is a final push to get them around 7-year, $250 million.

If it was that close, then you ask Manny Machado's agent what it would take to be done with this and have him in a white sox uniform today, and if he confirms they'd sign for that number you welcome him to the White Sox. 

22 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Alright who called the mystery team thing again?

5 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

I bet we hear a lot about a mystery team in the next few days. Machado's agent can't have only two teams bidding when one of those teams looks like its about to sign someone else. He probably is going to have one last hail mary mystery team rumor to get the last few million he can. 

What can I say, I'm just that good lol

If this follows my line of thought from the mystery team, Machado probably signs this weekend or Monday. Assuming there isn't actually a mystery team (which I don't think there is), he needs to have the Phillies still in the running so he has to sign before Harper, but he will probably want to hear what Harper is getting offered first to know if he can try to get another increase.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Because there is always a chance. No one thought Pujols was going to the Angels until it was announced. No one thought Cano would go to Seattle. No one had Greinke in AZ. 

It just takes one. And if you are an owner and have to overpay, wouldn’t you rather overpay a guy like this vs. someone in the next tier or 2 below? They already have $13 million in, they need to get to the finish line.

Agree completely.  Also, if the numbers aren't where everyone expected, why wouldn't a team jump in at an unexpected lower number.

4 minutes ago, RudyLawRules said:

IMO, a "Mystery" team doesn't exist or would have been leaked by now. It's agent-speak for "do I hear 5 million more?". We are in the homestretch, fellas. As Hawk would say, "Sit back, relax and strap it down."

Exactly, This means it's almost over.

From what Heyman was saying yesterday, he thinks he ultimately signs for 8/$240-250 million, which would not be a record in any way. I think a team could sign him tonight  for as little as 7 years if they offered him a record AAV. Face it, that is what this is all about. This is money Manny’s heirs will be squabbling over 50 or 60 years from now. An extra $30 million isn’t going to change his lifestyle, but it would cater to his ego.

1 minute ago, GenericUserName said:

What can I say, I'm just that good lol

If this follows my line of thought from the mystery team, Machado probably signs this weekend or Monday. Assuming there isn't actually a mystery team (which I don't think there is), he needs to have the Phillies still in the running so he has to sign before Harper, but he will probably want to hear what Harper is getting offered first to know if he can try to get another increase.

Exactly because if Harper signs tomorrow with Philly and they are out on Machado it will only leave the Whitesox as suitors and it’s a done deal at that point, we are in the final 2 minutes of the 4th quarter folks. Strap it down and get ready!

7 minutes ago, RudyLawRules said:

IMO, a "Mystery" team doesn't exist or would have been leaked by now. It's agent-speak for "do I hear 5 million more?". We are in the homestretch, fellas. As Hawk would say, "Sit back, relax and strap it down."

Could very well be right, but do you gamble that?  If numbers and years are not as high as earlier thought (300 mil and 10 years), you may have a team (like the Cardinals possible hail mary earlier reported) jump in last minute because numbers are low.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

From what Heyman was saying yesterday, he thinks he ultimately signs for 8/$240-250 million, which would not be a record in any way. I think a team could sign him tonight  for as little as 7 years if they offered him a record AAV. Face it, that is what this is all about. This is money Manny’s heirs will be squabbling over 50 or 60 years from now. An extra $30 million isn’t going to change his lifestyle, but it would cater to his ego.

$30M is a ton of money. I don’t blame him.

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Why do people just automatically assume a meeting with Harper = he's signing? They haven't had a face to face meeting with him yet correct? I would be shocked if he signs tomorrow. 

I don't think he signs tomorrow, but from the sound of reports it seems like they are willing to go to a record breaking level with him. The difference between him and Machado is we know he has the Nationals offer as a backup, so teams already know what they have to beat. If the Phillies can beat it he will probably take it back to the Nats to see if he can start a bidding war. It doesn't sound like they will do it, so it seems like the Phillies are going to put the best offer he has seen yet on the table this weekend and its unlikely anyone else will beat it. 

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Why do people just automatically assume a meeting with Harper = he's signing? They haven't had a face to face meeting with him yet correct? I would be shocked if he signs tomorrow. 

Yeah I dont get where that expectation came from. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

$30M is a ton of money. I don’t blame him.

It’s a ton of money, but money he will never spend. I don’t blame players for taking the highest offer, but at some point, it all becomes the same in really. I get parents want to leave their kids on easy street. But you also want them to be useful members of society. Manny should hav plenty to leave his kids. Right now it is about records and ego which is fine.

• Love 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres