Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Like everyone has said, money talks. Not that I think they would actually offer the most. Plus, with the team being on the road so much, the Machado's can own a place in New York for his wife to stay when the team is on the road.

Bingo, money talks.  Based on all we’ve heard, it seems priorities are:

1) money (cards can afford him)

2) playing SS (DeJong won’t block him)

3) friends, family (including wife pref), 3rd base coaches / IF coordinators 

4) childhood dreams

2 minutes ago, heirdog said:

1) money (cards can afford him)

They've gone from $120 million in 2015 to $135 million in 2017 to $160 million last year, I'm not so sure they're ready to jump to nearly $200 million. Their payroll was in the same range as ours until that jump in 2017.

26 minutes ago, Saufley said:

For me the signing would be bigger news than the NFL Playoffs. 

Eagles are  in the Playoffs.  Not sure about Machado and his agent.  But Boras waited  to announce JD Martinez last year until the bulk of the media had descended on Florida for ST. 

Theory based on last week:

1) philllies feel they are out on Machado so they set up face to face w Harper

2) yanks signal they are out on Machado so Lozano loses leverage on white sox

3) mystery team appears to reapply leverage...I think there is one (cards) but not a serious threat

goes w Hahn’s narrative that we felt it was close to ending a few times but until it’s done, it’s not done (something to that effect per Merkins tweets where he never states “done” for any specific team). It’s as if he knows they are in pole position but it seems Lozano wants to uncover every stone (last minute offers from teams and typical agent tactics of leverage and fake info to up the years or dollars)

30 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It’s a ton of money, but money he will never spend. I don’t blame players for taking the highest offer, but at some point, it all becomes the same in really. I get parents want to leave their kids on easy street. But you also want them to be useful members of society. Manny should hav plenty to leave his kids. Right now it is about records and ego which is fine.

You haven't been following recent pro athletes at all, have you? Plenty of lost at all and some by what seemed to be smart conservative business decisions.

1 hour ago, Baker said:

There are 3 penalty tiers to the Luxury Tax. For 2019 they are $206M, $226M, and $246M. For a three consecutive years payor, the Nationals, these brackets are taxed at 50%, 62%, and 95%. The Nats are already at $200M      .  Add in the $15M that every team has to include as a league-wide assessment and the Nats are already in the penalty box at $215M

Add in Harper Aav of $35M   The first $11M of that gets taxed at 50%, $5.5M  next $20M gets taxed at 62%, $12.4M  last $4M gets taxed at 95%, $3.8M  

Total taxes on Harper $35M is an additional $21.7M  or $56.7M/yr   Any additional payroll will be fully taxed at 95%  

Other penalties apply  This will go on until Nats reset below the first threshold  

The other penalties are the draft pick status and their revenue sharing pool share. 

Harper is rumored to get 8-10 over 300.. Machado is getting offered a rumored 100 million less.  Let's say harper signs for 300 with nationals or someone else.  Agent Lozano has leverage to raise the price based on demand. You can argue the player is comparable (which he is) and raise Machados market. If the Phillies miss out on Harper they will be desperate to get Machado. I still for some God unknown reason think the Yankees are in on Machado and the Cubs and Dodgers are in on harper. Its eerie that they are silent.  Maybe they really cant afford it but I believe they are letting the others battle it out and waiting for there time. I am hope I am wrong but its making more sense to me as time passes. I think the Yankees know machado wants them and harper wants Cubs and Dodgers.. there playing it right

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres