Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

10 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

I've never had any issues bringing one. I haven't been in a long time though. Can someone else confirm this?

Not sure. But I have heard from fans on this board that angrily questioning KW and RH at SoxFest and pressing them for information doesn’t work. I wouldn’t mind giving KW the finger for his failure (prospects for has beens) before Hahn took over. SoxFest Q&A will be interesting if they get neither whale and bring in Moustakas. But then the Sox would be like the Brewers, some young talent with middling veterans.

19 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Not sure. But I have heard from fans on this board that angrily questioning KW and RH at SoxFest and pressing them for information doesn’t work. I wouldn’t mind giving KW the finger for his failure (prospects for has beens) before Hahn took over. SoxFest Q&A will be interesting if they get neither whale and bring in Moustakas. But then the Sox would be like the Brewers, some young talent with middling veterans.

The Brewers have eight starting pitchers, two dominant relievers...an MVP caliber player in Yelich, plus Cain, Aguilar, Grandal, Shaw and Braun.  Even Arcia was really good down the stretch and into the playoffs.

That’s much more than a team of middling veterans.  Up the middle offensively might be their biggest weakness, and that changes dramatically with Bumgarner and Panik added.

Edited by caulfield12

https://sports.yahoo.com/phillies-meeting-bryce-harper-could-183406820.html

Latest from Vinnie Duber

If the Phillies want to spend that "stupid" money on Machado, why are they meeting with Harper? Rosenthal has a guess:

"A contingent from the Phillies' front office is scheduled to meet with Harper in his native Las Vegas on Saturday. If the Phillies' preference is Machado, as some in the industry believe, then the meeting from their perspective might simply be a ploy to drive up the price for the Nationals, a division rival. Harper and Boras, in fact, might be proceeding with the same motivation."

Oh really?

The White Sox have recently been considered "long shots" on Harper and have, like the Phillies, been reported to be more "in" on Machado, who by everyone's guess is expected to sign before Harper, with Boras likely waiting to ensure his client gets the biggest payday of the offseason. But if the Phillies throw their "stupid" money at Machado and reel him away from the rest of the "Miami Baseball Brotherhood" on the South Side, then does the Harper derby get whittled down to two teams, with the White Sox as one of them?

Of course, the problem with waiting out Harper into February and March is it gives all of MLB more time to rearrange their payroll situations.

It also, if Machado “only” signs for $280-300 million...opens things up for franchises who would never consider $350+ million but would be much more comfortable in the $325-335 million range for Harper

Not only that, but the final shapes of rosters will be even more apparent as each day passes...if the White Sox don’t sign any other players, Machado’s Miami Sound Machine will turn into the flamingo pink-hued theme song from Miami Vice in terms of Bryce wanting to have anything to do with Hahn’s welcoming committee (but for the wrong free agent). Some other playoff-aspiring team that is getting outmaneuvered on the Tier B free agents will break financial discipline in the weeks before spring training, it seems inevitable.

Another obvious point, Hahn can’t afford to dump all those veterans and bring in another set just to appeal to Harper’s camp...”double jeopardy” would set the front office and entire organization up for a year of intense ridicule.

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, Real said:

discounting the cubs/dodgers, who are the teams supposedly "in" on Harper?

Sox, Phillies, who else?  SD? 

Supposedly the Nationals, but they’re only $5M under the luxury tax.  Adding Harper at a $35M AAV would effectively cost them $51M+ next year.  For a team with three quality OFs, it would surprise me to see them spend that type of cash on Harper at this point.

58 minutes ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

Every single day I wake up more annoyed than the previous day. Someone please help us.

I just woke up so my head is a little clouded but, Just wondering here. Say the Sox don't get either of the two big whales. Is it crazy to try to sign Pollock cheap for two years, or would we rather put one of the kids out there or is just Jays position to play? Haven't heard much about Pollock lately and wondering if he'll get close to the 4-6 years he originally wanted. Now remember I just woke up so don't ruin my Sunday by jumping all over me! Just trying to figure out the contingency plan. God I just wish this was over, also!

1 minute ago, Saufley said:

I just woke up so my head is a little clouded but, Just wondering here. Say the Sox don't get either of the two big whales. Is it crazy to try to sign Pollock cheap for two years, or would we rather put one of the kids out there or is just Jays position to play? Haven't heard much about Pollock lately and wondering if he'll get close to the 4-6 years he originally wanted. Now remember I just woke up so don't ruin my Sunday by jumping all over me! Just trying to figure out the contingency plan. God I just wish this was over, also!

Not worth sacrificing a 2nd round pick for two years of Pollack.

7 minutes ago, Saufley said:

Yea, at that point I'd rather just see Palka or Nicky out there for a full season to properly gauge them moving forward. As horrible as that may be.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Didn't realize the 2nd round pick. You're right.

9 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Is it just me or does anyone else get a kick out of the misspelling of words that basically call people idiots, e,g. baffon  instead of buffoon or dum rather than dumb ?

Sorry Mr. Grammar police... 😒

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t know about that. Draft picks are more of a crap shoot in baseball than any other sport. Pollack is a proven major leaguer. His value is definitely more than a draft pick. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres