Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

31 minutes ago, Sarava said:

The Nationals owner Ted Lerner has been cheap in the past, tying the hands of their GM Rizzo with payroll constraints. Yet there was a whisper, what last week...where he wants to go for it since he is old and knows his time is getting short.

Didn't the Nationals have a disastrous bullpen last year? Dont they need major bullpen help still?

1 minute ago, NotHahn said:

Didn't the Nationals have a disastrous bullpen last year? Dont they need major bullpen help still?

I thought they resolved that, but honestly I don't follow NL teams all that closely,. so I'll let someone else answer that.

And as for time running short for owners. He seems healthy and all, but Reinsdorf does turn 83 next month. He's already playing with house money at that age. I really hope he doesn't let this one slip through their fingers. It's literally now or never for him with the Sox.

10 minutes ago, shipps said:

I don’t know about that. Draft picks are more of a crap shoot in baseball than any other sport. Pollack is a proven major leaguer. His value is definitely more than a draft pick. 

Good point, too. Hope we have a major signing coming soon and don't have a topic regarding Pollock.

Pollock’s like a mini-Harper.  Or similar to Eaton, as well.

One year of 6.9 fWAR in 2015.

The rest of his career, 2.3 2.9 0.5 2.2 and 2.5.

Projected at 3.1 for his age 31 season.

Basically, because he’s almost never healthy...his average outside of that one year is only 2.1.   Nevertheless, it seems he can get at least 4 years for $56-60 million, a contract not too dissimilar from what we gave Melky Cabrera seemingly a decade ago.   5 and $80 seems too high, but we’ll see after Harper and Machado sign (well, at least one of them.)

The wisdom of offering that with 7 outfielders in our Top 15 prospects isn’t clear.  Only if we brought Pollock, Moustakas/Gonzalez and Grandal onto the roster could we legitimately hope to compete in 2019.

"Let's just say if Pollock reaches a point where he'd be willing to accept the offer you've proposed (a one-year, $18 million to $20 million deal), the Braves would have the financial flexibility necessary to complete such a deal," Bowman writes. "But there is certainly plenty of reason to be concerned about the medical history of this outfielder, who fractured his right hand in 2014, fractured his elbow in '16, missed significant time with a groin strain in '17 and missed a portion of last year with a fractured left thumb.

"At least two of these injuries (fractured elbow and fractured thumb) were a result of aggressive plays made in the field. Still, even if you're going to say these were freak injuries that likely won't occur again, before making any kind of significant commitment for one year or more, you have to account for the mounting lingering effects."

The division-rival Mets had been rumored to be very interested in Pollock earlier in the offseason, but it appears unlikely he'll land in Queens. There have been multiple other clubs linked to Pollock, but possibly due to the fact that fellow outfielder Bryce Harper hasn't yet signed, nothing has materialized to this point.

mlb.com

Edited by caulfield12

Starting pitching is much more abundant next off season...plus if all the outfield spects continue to advance they become better trade chips. Unless keuchels price drops  considerably and missing out on Grandal....there really aren't any other FAs worth pursuing except Manny and Harper. Get one and go crazy next year after further evaluations.

47 minutes ago, shipps said:

I don’t know about that. Draft picks are more of a crap shoot in baseball than any other sport. Pollack is a proven major leaguer. His value is definitely more than a draft pick. 

Not to us when we don’t plan on competing next year.  Throwing away a high 2nd round draft pick and intentional slot money so we can have Pollack for just one year of our competitive window (2020) would be incredibly short-sighted.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

They are just going to dump Turner?  He's the heart and soul of that team, in many ways.

He is.  But do you think they’re going to let both guys pass without trying?  Usually the biggest $/asset exchanges involve the large market teams who can feasibly sustain the RISK of such moves.  Those teams give long hard looks at their rosters and oftentimes get creative to pounce on these types of opportunities.  Not saying he will resign—just saying I wouldn’t be shocked knowing Dodgers are at least “checking in.”  A “mystery name” to throw in the mix.  

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Not to us when we don’t plan on competing next year.  Throwing away a high 2nd round draft pick and intentional slot money so we can have Pollack for just one year of our competitive window (2020) would be incredibly short-sighted.

From that perspective yes. But I don’t think the Sox are looking to be a bottom feeder team for another year. If they happen to be Pollack would be an option for trade just like the rest of the guys they have signed this off season. 

Im curious when was the last time we had a successful second round pick actually. 

20 minutes ago, shipps said:

From that perspective yes. But I don’t think the Sox are looking to be a bottom feeder team for another year. If they happen to be Pollack would be an option for trade just like the rest of the guys they have signed this off season. 

Im curious when was the last time we had a successful second round pick actually. 

Alec Hansen was taken in the 2nd round of the 2016 draft and was a top 60 prospect as recently as a year ago.

30 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

The jury is still out on him, wouldn’t call him a success story 

He was demoted last year. I sure hope he comes back to his old form though. I was really excited about him two years ago. 

51 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

The jury is still out on him, wouldn’t call him a success story 

Sure, but the point is a year ago we was worth quite a bit and could have been a nice piece of a trade.  Luis Gonzalez was a 3rd round pick in 2017 if that is a better example.

6 minutes ago, Saufley said:

So, it's starting out kind of boring today, as far as our whales are concerned. Sure would like a big White Sox surprise from either the Harper or Machado camp. Now, back to reality.

It’s Sunday I doubt any real news will be reported until tomorrow, i would enjoy the break while we have it 😂

10 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

He probably took that photo with him one of these past seasons on one of Baltimore's many trips to the Bronx, not yesterday or anything.

I know.. But just the look on his face is like..... This guy..😠

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres