Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

9 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Neither do 99% of the people who walk through it all the time. I appreciate the investigative work but I really don't think it means anything, it's just a phrase that he likes. It's even been in his Instagram bio for awhile now

True. I just want this situation to come to a resolution one way or another. It was fun to follow along with all the rumors a couple weeks ago but that ship sailed long ago. The whole thing is aggravating now. He needs to make a decision so we can all move on with our lives.

3 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

True. I just want this situation to come to a resolution one way or another. It was fun to follow along with all the rumors a couple weeks ago but that ship sailed long ago. The whole thing is aggravating now. He needs to make a decision so we can all move on with our lives.

Patience padawan.

2 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Never know with this market - case in point: Grandal

I'll be honest, if the Sox only sign 1 of the 2 big ones, and Keuchel could be had on a 1 year deal, I'd probably be ok with that. I hate the idea of a 2 year deal because of all the pitching arriving in 2020, but on a 1 year deal?

Just now, Balta1701 said:

I'll be honest, if the Sox only sign 1 of the 2 big ones, and Keuchel could be had on a 1 year deal, I'd probably be ok with that. I hate the idea of a 2 year deal because of all the pitching arriving in 2020, but on a 1 year deal?

Yeah. A 1 year deal would work.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Yeah. A 1 year deal would work.

What draft pick would the Sox give up for signing him? Also, keep in mind that they can't recoup that pick next year.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

One year deal with an option for a second could be a good way to go in case some of the pitching doesn't pan out as predicted.

I get the time it takes for all of this. There are multiple parties negotiating a contract in excess of 200 mil. They are going to take their time with every detail, this isn’t a video game or a fantasy sports league. Why would either side rush this to appease an awaiting public? 

• Like 1

Just now, shipps said:

I get the time it takes for all of this. There are multiple parties negotiating a contract in excess of 200 mil. They are going to take their time with every detail, this isn’t a video game or a fantasy sports league. Why would either side rush this to appease an awaiting public? 

For Manny - so he doesn't lose more suitors.  If the Phillies sign Harper, who is he left with other than the Sox.

For the teams - so they can move on with their offseason plans.

I agree there isn't a rush, and this certainly has not been completed in hasty fashion, but at some point, it makes sense for both teams to get the deal done.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

For Manny - so he doesn't lose more suitors.  If the Phillies sign Harper, who is he left with other than the Sox.

For the teams - so they can move on with their offseason plans.

I agree there isn't a rush, and this certainly has not been completed in hasty fashion, but at some point, it makes sense for both teams to get the deal done.  

I hear you but Manny knows who his suitors are and knows they aren't going anywhere at this point. Its pretty clear Harper is waiting on Manny to sign until he makes his move. 

The teams shouldnt be waiting or holding up on any of their off season plans due to this negotiation. Hell this contract IS their off season plan.  

Just now, shipps said:

I hear you but Manny knows who his suitors are and knows they aren't going anywhere at this point. Its pretty clear Harper is waiting on Manny to sign until he makes his move. 

The teams shouldnt be waiting or holding up on any of their off season plans due to this negotiation. Hell this contract IS their off season plan.  

A team like the Phillies could pivot and grab Moustakas, Pollock and say another starter or reliever as opposed to waiting until almost February.

1 minute ago, shipps said:

I think the Phillies would potentially have interest in other 3B options if MM goes elsewhere.  The Sox, ya - this is their plan.  The Yankees, they have internal options they can roll with at the position

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

You're right, 2nd round pick. Stupid ESPN article only talked about the luxury tax and revenue sharing teams, not the ones in-between. 

The lit on this is really annoying. There is like a single mlb.com article that addresses the costs for non lux tax teams and explicitly lists who is revenue sharing team and who isn't.

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

A team like the Phillies could pivot and grab Moustakas, Pollock and say another starter or reliever as opposed to waiting until almost February.

I don't know what the dollar amounts for Pollock would be, but man that makes an awful lot of sense for the Phillies. 

4 minutes ago, shipps said:

It has nothing to do with the public. If you don't have a deadline, then nothing happens, so sometimes it helps to set soft deadlines. In my experience, negotiations have a shelf life. Eventually everyone hates each other and the deal, which is when the deal closes. Also, the longer a deal sits, the more likely something unpredictable happens. So you can only let this go for so long.

And the Sox will want to push a deadline so they can move on to other targets, which should be in Manny's interest no matter who he signs with.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres