Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

6 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

Using that logic, we might have gotten Justin Verlander since he grew up a huge fan of Frank Thomas. Mark Mulder would have been good for us for a few years. So unless a young star player grew up idolizing DJ Carrasco, the Sox would be limiting themselves to pretty much players who grew up on the south side.

I can see that...but if your agent does the dirty work and gets it down to 2 great offers from 2 teams, you'd think at that point, you'd ask the player "your call now."  

1 minute ago, mqr said:

The other offers might be that low too?

MIght be, yes. But they aren't. Machado isn't the pretty girl who nobody asks to the prom because everybody thinks she would turn them down. If the bidding really was in that range, there would have been other teams roped in and there'd be a lot more chatter. You'd have the middling or mid-market teams like the Braves, Brewers and Twins, hell even the Mets tossing their hats into the ring, and Machado specifically reaching out to them to get them into the bidding. And that would be low enough where the Yankees could offer him a deal that would only be a modest discount from $200m. That report is wrong.

2 minutes ago, FT35 said:

I can see that...but if your agent does the dirty work and gets it down to 2 great offers from 2 teams, you'd think at that point, you'd ask the player "your call now."  

I just moved into a new house, and it was a huge ordeal. Very stressful through the two days of back and forth bids. You're talking about not just considering tens of millions of dollars, but also deciding where you want to move your family for a decade and which front office you want to trust to build a team around you. That alone takes some time to consider. But realistically, the largest concern for the player by far is going to be money, so here we are.

9 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

How would the Sox be in the final 2 if their offer is that low? That doesn't even make any sense.

For both reports to be true, the Yankees offer would have to be roughly 5-year, $160 million, then both the Sox and Phillies would have to be around 7-year, $210 million. But if that were the case, I would think a few more teams would be jumping in.

5 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

I just moved into a new house, and it was a huge ordeal. Very stressful through the two days of back and forth bids. You're talking about not just considering tens of millions of dollars, but also deciding where you want to move your family for a decade and which front office you want to trust to build a team around you. That alone takes some time to consider. But realistically, the largest concern for the player by far is going to be money, so here we are.

Bingo!  I think we just got to the essence of why he hasn't signed yet--and what the hold up is.   

I don't know why anyone is taking Nightengale and Levine's tweets regarding $200M for any value at all. Levine is clearly just parroting Nightengale and who knows where Nightengale gets his info. Either its a KW plant to keep bidding down or Bob is just guessing/using bad info. Neither of these guys deserve 1 second of Sox fans worrying about what they say.

If Bob tweets that the Sox have reached an agreement with Machado, that's the only value he can add to this situation. Any speculative tweets on his part are BS.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

I don't know why anyone is taking Nightengale and Levine's tweets regarding $200M for any value at all. Levine is clearly just parroting Nightengale and who knows where Nightengale gets his info. Either its a KW plant to keep bidding down or Bob is just guessing/using bad info. Neither of these guys deserve 1 second of Sox fans worrying about what they say.

If Bob tweets that the Sox have reached an agreement with Machado, that's the only value he can add to this situation. Any speculative tweets on his part are BS.

Eh, it could be literally true (i.e. the last formal offer was for x years/200 mill), but not true to the current moment of negotiations and not a take it or leave it offer.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Eh, it could be literally true (i.e. the last formal offer was for x years/200 mill), but not true to the current moment of negotiations and not a take it or leave it offer.

My point is this is Nightengale and Levine we are talking about. If Rosenthal was saying this then I'd tend to believe it. Maybe it is true, but I am not going to go crazy worrying about it because Nightengale and Levine said it.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I really hope Rick isn't doing a take it or leave it offer. If it really is going to be under 300 million or just approaching that...you HAVE to do it. 13 mil of payroll already to get him interested and a way to Skyrocket the Rebuild will not happen ever again. this is the perfect storm that we MUST win if the Yankees are out. 

The vibe I've been given is that Nightengale is a mouthpiece for the Sox & Levine doesn't usually know much.

I'm sure anything Bob puts out is whatever the Sox want him to. Levine is simply piggybacking info off of anything he sees.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

MIght be, yes. But they aren't. Machado isn't the pretty girl who nobody asks to the prom because everybody thinks she would turn them down. If the bidding really was in that range, there would have been other teams roped in and there'd be a lot more chatter. You'd have the middling or mid-market teams like the Braves, Brewers and Twins, hell even the Mets tossing their hats into the ring, and Machado specifically reaching out to them to get them into the bidding. And that would be low enough where the Yankees could offer him a deal that would only be a modest discount from $200m. That report is wrong.

Helps to be a major market team in times like these!

34 minutes ago, Greek-konerko said:

Whatever. This guy has scoop the other another scoop. He will sign tomorrow, he did that sox offered that bob tweeted that, i had enough they busted my balls weeks now, ive lost sleep my boss threatens to fire me, call me when he decides to man up and decide(manny) 

As we say, Hyesa Mehsah!

Even if the Sox fed Nightengale the number, that really won’t matter much in the long run. Let’s say that Nightengale tweets out the Sox offer is 7-year, $210 million. The Phillies will most likely just up that offer to 7-year, $230 million. Then the Sox will be forced to up their offer anyway. Sox and Phillies will get into a bidding war, and end up at that $270 million to $300 million number anyway.

Regardless of how or where or why Nightengale got his information, I just dont see any scenario where Manny signs for anything less than a 7-year, $250 million deal (A little more than $35 million per year). So whether or not the Sox are trying to keep the Phillies offer low, I can almost guarantee the bids will reach that $250 million number at the very least.

Edited by KnightsOnMintSt

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

If this is true, aren't the Sox essentially guaranteed to get Machado? I can't see Philadelphia signing both of them.

Interesting to see what the offer would be then. Maybe the sox did offer 7/210 knowing Manny wouldn't go to Phil and the sox were waiting for Harper to go there and reduce Machado's leverage.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres