Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Rumors are fun when they don't go on and on for months. NFL, NBA, NHL free agent rumors. MLB, NHL, NBA trade deadline rumors, all a good time even if they are BS. The problem is their is more BS in one of these signings than there is for the other leagues as a whole, and most of what you hear in the NBA is BS.

I think it's more due to the uniqueness of these players, not general FA. Two players expecting record breaking contracts due to the quality and age is a pretty rare event.

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think we've learned the following from this thread: The fans either want full transparency, or don't tell us a damn thing until the ink is dry on the contract or the deal is done on a trade. The bullshit rumors have to stop. 

Someone in the front office thought "the pursuit" would be good for business.  

I don't see it, but maybe it is working with the average fan or corporate partner.  For me, a crazy ass fanatic, the ONLY way I'm not royally pissed off after this marathon is if it comes out that the Sox bid $300,000,000 + for both players, matched or got very close to the winning bid, and the player just picked a different team.  Or of course if they land a Harpchado. 

Edited by GREEDY

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There were 2 events on December 15 - the McCann signing and the Alonso trade and Hahn had a press conference call that day for the articles in the paper in the morning. You can probably guess what most of the questions were about, but there were some quotes in the articles talking about the young catchers. 

Was McCann available?

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I'm following along as close as most are. 

But I'm also not getting caught up in every little small note or trying to read the tea leaves on every nugget. It just doesn't get us anywhere. 

There's been a handful of us with that exact approach. I don't know where and when Machado/Harper sign but I'm enjoying reading the rumors but taking them all equally with a grain of salt. I prefer to read about the Sox being in on these guys than reading about why they are not in.

Kind of going out on a limb a little with this logic, but does anyone think some of this process is intended to create a little buzz for baseball in the dead of winter?  The NBA really milks free agency to help bridge the off-season gap.  We've got Free Agent tours, billboard campaigns, TV shows to announce decisions, letters written to fans, the back and forth drama, it's turned into reality TV.  But you know...that first "LeBron watch"--when he choose to go back to Cleveland, really took the pro-sport spotlight away from baseball and kept the fan engaged and thinking about basketball over the summer.  Just wonder if MLB is maybe taking a page from that same book by encouraging the process to drag on long enough to create a little drama to draw people in.  

1 minute ago, FT35 said:

Kind of going out on a limb a little with this logic, but does anyone think some of this process is intended to create a little buzz for baseball in the dead of winter?  The NBA really milks free agency to help bridge the off-season gap.  We've got Free Agent tours, billboard campaigns, TV shows to announce decisions, letters written to fans, the back and forth drama, it's turned into reality TV.  But you know...that first "LeBron watch"--when he choose to go back to Cleveland, really took the pro-sport spotlight away from baseball and kept the fan engaged and thinking about basketball over the summer.  Just wonder if MLB is maybe taking a page from that same book by encouraging the process to drag on long enough to create a little drama to draw people in.  

If that is what they are intending to do, I'm certainly not in favor of it. This process is driving me crazy!

Just now, FT35 said:

I think when these guys sign, the teams that were in that don't get one, their fans will be ticked off. Most teams aren't in, so they couldn't care less. The only ones that will be happy will be the fans of the team or teams that get them, and that would be the same if they signed on day 1 of free agency. 

2 minutes ago, Saufley said:

If that is what they are intending to do, I'm certainly not in favor of it. This process is driving me crazy!

I would argue MLB has been way less focused than they should be on the entertainment factor of their offseason and general scheduling.

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres