yesterday333

Manny: Agent of Chaos

Well, the Phillies aren't going to make any decisions on Harper and Machado until at least Saturday..so there's probably no way this gets resolved before next week, unless they (Phillies) have a take it or leave it conversation with Lozano before that Boras meeting ever takes place.

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If Machado really wants to play for the Phillies, who have wanted him since the middle of last season, then he better make his mind up very, very soon.

The middle of last season, that's it? I'm pretty sure the White Sox have wanted Manny for years 

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

The middle of last season, that's it? I'm pretty sure the White Sox have wanted Manny for years 

I think they've wanted him for years as well, but have been trying to get him since mid-last year (in a trade).

7 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:

The delicious twist to all this would be the Sox swooping in and signing Harper before Manny signs anywhere. Not that i foresee that as likely, but it would be a massive wrench in da gears

To do that, they would have to offer $325-375 million...even then, he'd probably give the Dodgers and Nationals time to make one last final offer to beat those numbers, especially if they were closer to $325 than $400.

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Marco Paddy or KW quote from the first time they scouted Machado, lol?

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

I think they've wanted him for years as well, but have been trying to get him since mid-last year (in a trade).

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Marco Paddy or KW quote from the first time they scouted Machado, lol?

I was half-joking as I'm sure both teams have wanted him since he was a draft prospect and have planned to make a big FA run at him for at least a couple years. I just think the wording of it is funny, as if the author thought that Machado was letting some huge, life-changing opportunity vanish and he doesn't have any other options

• Like 1

Love the confidence of Phillies' fans.   Some think they're getting both guys.

Then there's the opposite side of the fan spectrum, those of little faith (notice, no mention of the White Sox, either).

• Yankees. Cubs. Dodgers. Red Sox.

Or another:

• On the other hand if they're only bidding against the White Sox, they should be able to get Machado for a bargain rate.

Edited by caulfield12

8 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I was half-joking as I'm sure both teams have wanted him since he was a draft prospect and have planned to make a big FA run at him for at least a couple years. I just think the wording of it is funny, as if the author thought that Machado was letting some huge, life-changing opportunity vanish and he doesn't have any other options

I guess if they don't sign Machado, the reasoning or argument is not going to be the money but the fact that they weren't able to successfully bring him to Chicago during the 2018 season to give him an "audition/tryout" that would have convinced him firsthand of the fit as well as the talent in the pipeline.

Edited by caulfield12

I think we have equal offers and a more friendly and up and coming team. It’s up to him. I’d choose the Sox. But I’m biased as hell. If the money is the same why not choose the team I’d help lead on their way up. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I guess if they don't sign Machado, the reasoning or argument is not going to be the money but the fact that they weren't able to successfully bring him to Chicago during the 2018 season to give him an "audition/tryout" that would have convinced him firsthand of the fit as well as the talent in the pipeline.

It won’t be the money we lose on. And that’s all we can ask. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

It won’t be the money we lose on. And that’s all we can ask. 

Promise?

Just now, RockRaines said:

Unless the Yankees get real. We are even with philly 

I trust you brother and this is good news.

28 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Love the confidence of Phillies' fans.   Some think they're getting both guys.

Then there's the opposite side of the fan spectrum, those of little faith (notice, no mention of the White Sox, either).

• Yankees. Cubs. Dodgers. Red Sox.

Or another:

• On the other hand if they're only bidding against the White Sox, they should be able to get Machado for a bargain rate.

People were filling out hypothetical lineups with Machado and Harper in them yesterday. It's natural for all fan bases to be overly optimistic about this sort of thing.

Say what you want about Hahn going out and getting Alonso and Jay, and how laughable the Sox would look if Machado went elsewhere - at least they will be in the field contributing. The Phillies just went out and got a coach for 1 hypothetical player on a squad of 25 guys. That is crazy. Can't lose the faith now. Lock him up and get it done Hahn!

[Sean Connery voice]

Philly offers $200 million, we offer $201

Philly brings a bench coach, we bring a best friend

Philly puts him at 3rd, we put him at Short

That’s the Chicago way 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

If the money is equal, I can't think of one good reason why he would choose the Phillies over the Sox.

Better chance to win? Larger fanbase? I'm not trying to troll, just throwing those out as possible advantages for the Phillies.

8 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Better chance to win? Larger fanbase? I'm not trying to troll, just throwing those out as possible advantages for the Phillies.

But a MUCH tougher division. Phillies might be a better team, but the Braves are upcoming, the Nats are as strong as ever, and the Mets have made some solid improvements. The AL Central is only going to get weaker as the Sox start to get better. He could have sustained success on the South Side.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

15 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

If the money is equal, I can't think of one good reason why he would choose the Phillies over the Sox.

Good post.

15 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I'm not really sure their fanbase is all that bigger than ours. And as far as winning goes, they'll probably have more wins than the Sox next year, but they're in a much tougher division and I like the Sox collection of talent a lot better. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

But a MUCH tougher division. Phillies might be a better team, but the Braves are upcoming, the Nats are as strong as ever, and the Mets have made some solid improvements. The AL Central is only going to get weaker as the Sox start to get better. He could have sustained success on the South Side.

The Phillies have a much better reason to sign Harper, which is to stop him from going back to the Nationals.

We have no such scenario to worry about, blocking another divisional team in this situation.