yesterday333

Manny: Agent of Chaos

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

And then Tim Anderson moves to CF?

To me it's just too much movement. Hopefully, Manny signs, plays 3B, keeps TA at SS, keep Moncada at 2B. If Moncada's issues persist, and Madrigal is pushing at the door, maybe move him to CF. Or if TA takes a step back, then move him to CF and play musical chairs. 

I would guess they would want to sort this out as quickly as possible, and hopefully eventually either TA or Moncada is going to have to play the OF or 1B. That would mean Madrigal has developed and Manny is in the fold.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

To me it's just too much movement. Hopefully, Manny signs, plays 3B, keeps TA at SS, keep Moncada at 2B. If Moncada's issues persist, and Madrigal is pushing at the door, maybe move him to CF. Or if TA takes a step back, then move him to CF and play musical chairs. 

I would guess they would want to sort this out as quickly as possible, and hopefully eventually either TA or Moncada is going to have to play the OF or 1B. That would mean Madrigal has developed and Manny is in the fold.

We also happen to have another fairly highly touted prospect in the minors who should stay at CF as well.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

We also happen to have another fairly highly touted prospect in the minors who should stay at CF as well.

Too many good players is a good problem to (hopefully) have.

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The good news is he was a +5 DRS as a SS with the Dodgers.  So he is probably not as bad a SS as his overall numbers suggest. Some felt the problem was positioning. I guess Buck isn't into analytics. 

But playing 3B is obviously ideal.

There is a move towards "positionless" baseball...teams like Milwaukee are trying it.  In some regards I think different positions shouldn't be difficult for these guys to play--I mean, shoot...they have been playing them all since little league, and they are pros--they should be able to play a position that is literally 20 yards away from their other position.  But THEN I see stupid defensive mistakes being made--the nuances of the position being devalued or straight-up missed--outs being missed...all while effecting a player's plate production while they "learn" that new position.  It's not as easy as people think it is.  But if there was ever a reason and a year to shift people around a little...

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They'll have the 2019 season to figure it out. I don't think 1B would be an option for either of them. Their athleticism and range should be wasted there. OF would be the better option.

1 minute ago, FT35 said:

There is a move towards "positionless" baseball...teams like Milwaukee are trying it.  In some regards I think different positions shouldn't be difficult for these guys to play--I mean, shoot...they have been playing them all since little league, and they are pros--they should be able to play a position that is literally 20 yards away from their other position.  But THEN I see stupid defensive mistakes being made--the nuances of the position being devalued or straight-up missed--outs being missed...all while effecting a player's plate production while they "learn" that new position.  It's not as easy as people think it is.  But if there was ever a reason and a year to shift people around a little...

Yoan Moncada has definitely not been playing all positions since little league and I think I'd say the same thing about Tim (wasn't he a football player?)

Just now, shipps said:

Are we sure TA can even play centerfield? 

Nope. He did say he was open to moving earlier in the offseason if that’s what the team wanted, but what player wouldn’t say that? I do t like the idea of him moving off SS. He’s shown a lot of improvement. 

Just now, shipps said:

Are we sure TA can even play centerfield? 

He is confident he could. No one will know until he tries it. He is really good at going down the line for fly balls.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes, but for now he is putting up sub .700 OPS in A ball and can't stay on the field, and except for the AFL , hasn't hit a homer in the US yet. Right now, he isn't on the radar until at least 2021. By then there will be other spots.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Yoan Moncada has definitely not been playing all positions since little league and I think I'd say the same thing about Tim (wasn't he a football player?)

Basketball mostly, I believe.

If my choices were:

Manny to Short and Tim Anderson in CF or off of the team.

or

Tim at short and no Manny.

I'm going with option 1 24/7.

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

Manny will play wherever the hell we tell him to play. It's that simple

Not that simple, if they want to sign him.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If we can keep him healthy...granted, Robert’s injuries this year were mostly related to base running.  He played the majority of his time in LF for Cuba and in Series Nacional, definitely has the speed/range for CF and a strong but not Adolfo-esque arm for RF.

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Nope. He did say he was open to moving earlier in the offseason if that’s what the team wanted, but what player wouldn’t say that? I do t like the idea of him moving off SS. He’s shown a lot of improvement. 

Tim Anderson has the tools to be a top tier defensive SS. No one else in the Sox system can say that. He has great range and a cannon of an arm. He keeps getting better at it.

I absolutely hate the idea of moving Timmy off of SS for an inferior defensive player. 

• Thanks 3

Another point I think is important - I'll minimize all the other aspects of Manny Machado not working hard or having a bad personality or having bad hair or whatever other point people want to use to insult him for not being like them. But if Manny Machado wants to come to a team and insist that he needs to be the SS and him getting that position is so important that the team needs to shuffle 4 players around to make it happen - that's a much bigger attitude red flag than anything else I've seen.

What's going to happen in a couple years when he loses a step, is no longer even a tolerable SS, the team has drafted a SS candidate, and Machado refuses to move? Manny Machado now makes the lineup card out?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

True.  We're hearing, at least, that he prefers SS but would play 3B.  It makes the most sense to have him play 3B for the Sox, but if push came to shove and playing SS was a deal breaker, I'm sure the Sox would make it work.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

If we can keep him healthy...granted, Robert’s injuries this year were mostly related to base running.  He played the majority of his time in LF for Cuba and in Series Nacional, definitely has the speed/range for CF and a strong but not Adolfo-esque arm for RF.

You can't use health as an excuse to worry about Robert while people are telling me that Madrigal's ridiculously bad ground ball rate and lack of power aren't a worry because he was just banged up and that's not a problem for Madrigal. 

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Tim Anderson has the tools to be a top tier defensive SS. No one else in the Sox system can say that. He has great range and a cannon of an arm. He keeps getting better at it.

I absolutely hate the idea of moving Timmy off of SS for an inferior defensive player. 

Agreed. But they may not have a choice if they want Manny. Maybe it would change after a year. This situation was another reason I would prefer Harper. Since the beginning  I said Anerson would need to move to CF if they acquired Machado.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Once he is under contract, he can either play 3B or grab some bench

Just now, hogan873 said:

True.  We're hearing, at least, that he prefers SS but would play 3B.  It makes the most sense to have him play 3B for the Sox, but if push came to shove and playing SS was a deal breaker, I'm sure the Sox would make it work.

Offer a few extra dollars and ask "would you play 3B now?"

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

My sentiments, exactly!!