Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

It doesn't eliminate them from Manny, but it helps the Sox it would seems. 

It doesn't help them necessarily, you could view it has a sign that their not confident on Machado and want to hedge their bets though

Just now, TomPickle said:

looks like hector gomez may have been right about the yankees being out of it!

I mean with this market it made way more sense to get a good, cheaper 2b than to go big on a 3b especially with the pieces they had.

DJ is also a nice change of pace piece to that lineup too though. Good signing. Man the yankees are gonna be good. 

Just now, bmags said:

I mean with this market it made way more sense to get a good, cheaper 2b than to go big on a 3b especially with the pieces they had.

DJ is also a nice change of pace piece to that lineup too though. Good signing. Man the yankees are gonna be good. 

I really wanted the Brewers to improve and sign DJ for 2B (wanted them to grab Lowrie). Oh well. A package deal of Bumgarner and Panik works too.

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Seeing as Lowrie signed yesterday and was a better fit, I'm going to assume the Yankees didnt want to give him 2 years.

This is a good point. Yanks have been very dogmatic on getting players on their terms this offseason. Cashman has really fine tuned that org to the new operating environment. 

Every signing ever

within 5 minutes of each other

Rosenthal/morosi/passan/local beat writer: "x player signs with team for 2 years"

10 minutes later

Bob N: "x player signs with team for 2 years. Definitely a player that will play for that team. rosenthal 1st"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

IF...and it's a big IF...Yankees are truly out...we may be able to get Manny at a reasonable enough price that the real bidding war then comes down to Harper. Let's say we get Manny at 8/280, will JR do 10/350 for Harper?

He should. I mean, I would hope he does.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is a good point. Yanks have been very dogmatic on getting players on their terms this offseason. Cashman has really fine tuned that org to the new operating environment. 

Yes he has.  I think he's being a bit too stubborn here (there is no org a 5-6 WAR IF doesn't fit, at almost any price in today's financial environment) but I commend him for having a philosophy and sticking to it.  He seems absolutely intent on running the Yankees almost like a richer version of the Cardinals.   Focus on scouting, development and precision FA signings at the right price.  Might be handcuffing himself a bit but it's also quite low risk.  If shit doesn't work out they can always just spend some money.  

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres