Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, soxfan49 said:

Money?

And lots of it.  Realistically, I can't see the Nats being willing to take the $50ish million worth of cost on to sign Harper when you add the consideration of where they are in terms of the luxury tax.  It isn't just $35 million, it is ANOTHER 50% on top of that annually, with no real hope of getting under the tax anytime soon if they stay relatively competitive.  They have $100 million in promised dollars out there through 2021.

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

The Nationals are the wild card in all this. If they're not serious about Harper, he'll go the Philly which opens up the door for Machado to come to the Sox. That's how I see it as of now.

People will be shocked I say this, but way too many people discounting the Cubs and Dodgers for Bryce.  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

The Nationals are the wild card in all this. If they're not serious about Harper, he'll go the Philly which opens up the door for Machado to come to the Sox. That's how I see it as of now.

Harper back to the Nationals makes sense, but the Nationals are now over $200 million in payroll BEFORE potentially signing Harper. Signing him would easily push them into the luxury tax, and leave them with zero flexibility moving forward.

1 minute ago, SouthWallace said:

Baseball Reference has them at $191M, and thats w/o the Dozier addition.

Don't forget there's a few other details - for the luxury tax you average the total over the years in the contract, it's not the price per year, and each team has $14.4 million in benefits that they are required to include in the tax total. The Nats are very close to the line right now.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres