Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He is just accustomed to believing that there is no way in fucking hell the Sox would commit $600M+ towards 2 players in one offseason.  And that is fair.  There is absolutely nothing in the history of the organization that would suggest they'd do that.  

I think the odds are long to land both, but getting Machado signed helps to get Harper signed, if in fact the Sox would actually make the commitment. 

Not sure why you feel you need to answer questions directed to others, but his post suggests exactly the opposite of what you said.  He seems to think getting both is possible.

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

In regards to landing both Harper and Machado, I would think the chances are pretty low.  Not "so you're saying there's a chance" low, but low nonetheless.  However, if the Sox were willing to spend the money, it would probably be enticing for either guy to play for a team the other is playing on.  The interest for Harper to sign with the Sox would probably increase if they sign Machado (and vice versa).  And the Sox have the money.  They could sign both and grab Ottavino and add $80M to the payroll...and their payroll would still be relatively low for 2019.

I honestly don't see it happening.  I think the more likely scenario is that they sign one and stop pursuing the other.  I think Machado signs first, and there's a decent chance he signs with the Sox.  However, if he signs elsewhere, the Sox will go hard after Harper.

That's how I see it. The Sox want one and if they have to overbid they will . Machado is first and foremost. If you have to end up overbidding and land Machado then that makes the odds of landing Harper much longer since overbidding on both is pretty likely out of the question. Now if they think they can get both for somewhere around $600M they might go for it but that's a huge risk if you end up losing Machado by underbidding .

Come hell or high water the Sox want one and Machado is the true target.

2 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

Not sure why you feel you need to answer questions directed to others, but his post suggests exactly the opposite of what you said.  He seems to think getting both is possible.

Lol, its a fucking message board dude.   But I was referring to Balta/SS2K comments, not shack, so I apologize for misreading.  Carry on.  

My friend just saw Machado trying to board a plane to Chicago. It was Southwest, and he didn't pay for priority boarding. He was last on the flight, and reportedly had to sit in a middle seat between two large people. Looked pissed. Not sure if that will impact him signing with the Sox.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Roughneck said:

My friend just saw Machado trying to board a plane to Chicago. It was Southwest, and he didn't pay for priority boarding. He was last on the flight, and reportedly had to sit in a middle seat between two large people. Looked pissed. Not sure if that will impact him signing with the Sox.

Confirmed. Jerry apparently has gotten involved , indeed. down to the travel details even

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

This has probably been answered already, but do we know if Machado would be willing to play 3B with whatever team he signs with? Or is he insisting on playing SS? Because if it's the former, he's a perfect fit for the Sox and I hope they do everything in their power to sign him.

The fact it really hasn’t come up much seems to suggest he doesn’t really care as long as he’s getting paid.

4 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

This has probably been answered already, but do we know if Machado would be willing to play 3B with whatever team he signs with? Or is he insisting on playing SS? Because if it's the former, he's a perfect fit for the Sox and I hope they do everything in their power to sign him.

I don't think it matters that much to him (or if it does, I don't think it's as high of a priority as other factors). It made sense last year when he demanded to play SS so that he can try to market himself as both a SS and a 3B going in free agency.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres