Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, Leonard Zelig said:

Roughneck, the 12+ years board member with less than 60 posts.  I hope he's right.

Crap, you guys. Just heard the big dudes on either side of Machado are eating chili dogs and now the whole plane smells of it. Manny does not look pleased. I will keep you updated.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The fact it really hasn’t come up much seems to suggest he doesn’t really care as long as he’s getting paid.

Good. I hope TA7 and Yoan stay where they are and continue to develop. Both showed significant improvement on the defensive side at their respective positions last year. Making them learn new positions is the worst thing the Sox could do. It'd be like Gordon Beckham all over again.

14 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

My friend just saw Machado trying to board a plane to Chicago. It was Southwest, and he didn't pay for priority boarding. He was last on the flight, and reportedly had to sit in a middle seat between two large people. Looked pissed. Not sure if that will impact him signing with the Sox.

isn't this what the Bears actually did to a head coach for an interview several years back?

36 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

They are small, but it's higher than 1%. There just aren't that many suitors for either of these guys which works to the Sox advantage. That being said, I'd be more than happy if they just got one of them and I hope they try to grab Machado first because his market seems to be moving more quickly right now. 

What do you think the odds of the Sox signing each individually really is?  20%?  10%?   Now realize that even if you take this as a pure mathetmatical equation and multiply the odds against each other, they are very small.  Add in the payroll factor of the Sox probably not wanting to tie up half a future payroll in two players, and those odds drop even more.

It really is that small.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

What do you think the odds of the Sox signing each individually really is?  20%?  10%?   Now realize that even if you take this as a pure mathetmatical equation and multiply the odds against each other, they are very small.  Add in the payroll factor of the Sox probably not wanting to tie up half a future payroll in two players, and those odds drop even more.

It really is that small.

I just multiplied 20 x 10 and got 200%. The Sox are for sure signing both guys. Don't you feel foolish now.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

If you were about to board a plane to sign a $200-300M deal, you would’t be flying coach. What a weird attempt for attention from a random twitter guy.

Maybe he missed all the first class tickets because of his lack of hustle?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Can you imagine if we signed both how much ticket prices would increase. Yuck.

I'll take one of the two (Machado) and rely on the 214 minor league outfielders we have that look promising. If Eloy pans out we really only need 2 of those guys to pan out. And if a lot of the other guys pan out (Moncada, Madrigal, etc.) we really only need one to pan out and one to play great defense.

Of course Sox fans first worry is ticket prices, lol.

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

If you were about to board a plane to sign a $200-300M deal, you would’t be flying coach. What a weird attempt for attention from a random twitter guy.

FWIW, "He's on my plane" ≠ "He's flying coach". First class will often seat first and then coach walks right past them as they board. 

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Ya know, you don't sign contracts in person anymore. Even if he were on a plane to Chicago, it has nothing to do with this deal.

3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Man I don't care how much I make, I'm gonna take Zzzquil and forget the flight happened wherever I sit 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres