Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

If the Sox land Machado, I don't think they're getting Harper and are going to spread money around to fill other holes. If Pollock's market is basically non-existent, I wouldn't mind grabbing him. I still have this sneaky suspicion that Abreu is going to the Astros and will sign back with the Sox after the season. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

While we're all dreaming about Harper and Machado both ending up on the South Side, has anyone considered what the lineup would look like if both of them were in it? 

Good enough to make the Sox a much more attractive destination (from a baseball perspective) for player #2 if player #1 is inked to a deal, that's for sure. 

...assuming the Sox are willing to commit that kind of $ to two players in the first place (which I have my doubts about).

Edited by 35thstreetswarm

1 minute ago, oneofthemikes said:

While we're all dreaming about Harper and Machado both ending up on the South Side, has anyone considered what the lineup would look like if both of them were in it? 

2B Moncada

3B Machado

DH Abreu

RF Harper

LF Jimenez

1B Alonso

C Castillo

SS Anderson

CF Engel (we’d have to fix this with literally anyone else, though)

10 minutes ago, default said:

Why let this child back on the board if you're just going to heckle him?  Get him the fuck outta here.  The block feature is useless when people keep quoting him.  This is fucking absurd.

Unless you would like to join him, you should probably keep personal attacks off of the board.

7 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

Multiple times in various posts :lol: 

Edited by justBLAZE

6 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

Pollock CF, Moncada 2B, Machado 3B, Harper RF, Abreu DH, Eloy LF, Alonso 1B, Castillo C, Anderson SS

Oh my oh my.  😍

4 minutes ago, The Sir said:

2B Moncada

3B Machado

DH Abreu

RF Harper

LF Jimenez

1B Alonso

C Castillo

SS Anderson

I'd flip Machado and Harper. Harper has an insanely good OBP while Machado seems to be a better pure hitter. Get Harper on base more and let Machado bring them in. I'd also probably put Machado at #3 and Abreu at #4. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Pollock CF, Moncada 2B, Machado 3B, Harper RF, Abreu DH, Eloy LF, Alonso 1B, Castillo C, Anderson SS

Oh my oh my.  😍

And at that rate, go ahead and trade a couple of Rutherford, Basabe, Walker and Gonzalez for a nice SP.  I want to keep Adolfo, for whatever reason, I think he turns into a monster.  

4 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I'd flip Machado and Harper. Harper has an insanely good OBP while Machado seems to be a better pure hitter. Get Harper on base more and let Machado bring them in. I'd also probably put Machado at #3 and Abreu at #4. 

That’s fair. Some of your purists might have an issue with three Rs right in a row in the middle, but I’m pretty ambivalent about that.

Just now, The Sir said:

That’s fair. Some of your purists might have an issue with three Rs right in a row in the middle, but I’m pretty ambivalent about that.

While we're at it, I think Eloy should be hitting in front of Abreu. Moncada-Harper-Machado-Eloy-Abreu-whatever is my vote.

Either way, I'm optimistic about landing one of the two but I think the chances we get both are <1%.

13 minutes ago, The Sir said:

If we have that lineup, we can live with whatever Engel can give us on offense. And frankly, with Harper and Eloy on either side of him, we'd need someone that good defensively in CF.

Edited by Roughneck

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

It is still beautiful with Palka in there instead of Harper and maybe Keuchel in the rotation, even though I'm not crazy about him. 

Getting both Harper and Machado is obviously the dream scenario, but there's probably like a 1% chance of that happening. Give me one and I'll be absolutely ecstatic.

1 minute ago, justBLAZE said:

I hate to be negative nancy, but they ain't signed yet.

Oh, let us have fun!  This has been the best day for positive news, and we're just dreaming right now.  If it all falls apart, we'll curl up in balls and sob ourselves to sleep thinking of a Harpchado-less 2019.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Getting both Harper and Machado is obviously the dream scenario, but there's probably like a 1% chance of that happening. Give me one and I'll be absolutely ecstatic.

Agreed. 

I think that if they got Machado, Keuchel(who is a Buehrle type at this point of his career) and Pollock, with some improvement by Rodon, Lopez and Giolito that is a contender in 2019. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Agreed. 

I think that if they got Machado, Keuchel(who is a Buehrle type at this point of his career) and Pollock I with some improvement by Rodon, Lopez and Giolito that is a contender in 2019. 

There is still some pretty decent holes there, but still I think the 60-70 million needed to do that would be the immediate problem.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres