Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

Sources: Dan Clark is beside himself. Driving around downtown Baltimore begging (thru texts) Machado's old teammates for a Yankees signing confirmation 

Interestingly, our favorite Oriole blogger/Yankee fan would need to Skype his pleadings since he lives in Australia 

• Like 1

I think whoever mentioned Hahn not even doing a conference call after Herrera became official is on to something.

That may be the most puzzling and telling thing that has happened this week and gives me some faith we are close to signing Manny. Herrera had a conference call I believe with his comments about Manny this afternoon, but Hahn who typically does hold one, (Alonso trade most recently) hasn’t yet. Couple this with Jay being wrapped up this week. 

Something about all these things coming together recently just makes me think the smoke is leading somewhere promising. 

Edited by Frank_Thomas
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, wsd said:

Hello everyone.  Just want to clear a few things up - someone DM'd me this thread today looking for info/clarification on what I know/don't know.

-I know the sox are in a very good spot.  This bucket (?) guy probably knows more than me.  I don't care that he does, in fact I hope he does.  Some people are acting like he's talking shit to me, he's not.  We're all sox fans here.  We all want what's best for the org

-I have zero clue what the financials of the offer are.  I do know it's 7 years.  I assume they have room to budge if they need to.  Right now, as far as I'm aware, they don't need to.  I would assume it's for an AAV record of about $35MM, so I was just putting two and two together.  I could be incorrect there.  I wanted to clear that up because people are speaking as if I was stating it as fact.

- I know there are a lot of people that don't like me in here.  To each there own.  I know my humor and style isn't for everyone.  I am who I am.  

- I typically avoid message boards, facebook forums, etc. They can be good communities but they also lead to fans wanting to jump down each others throat.  The few times I've meandered to these forums I saw that, so I haven't been here hardly ever since I knew they existed

- if anyone has any questions let me know, because I'm not gonna make it a regular thing posting here.  I don't want other people's brains seeping into my brain now that I have to cover the sox for my job

PS - I'm blogging this as we speak

Welcome aboard. Appreciate the insights 

6 minutes ago, Frank_Thomas said:

I think whoever mentioned Hahn not even doing a conference call after Herrera became official is on to something.

That may be the most puzzling and telling thing that has happened this week and gives me some faith we are close to signing Manny. Herrera had a conference call I believe with his comments about Manny this afternoon, but Hahn who typically does hold one, (Alonso trade most recently) hasn’t yet. Couple this with Jay being wrapped up this week. 

Something about all these things coming together recently just makes me think the smoke is leading somewhere promising. 

You are correct. Herrera had a conference call at 2:30 this afternoon with Billy Russo translating for him from Chicago. 

1 minute ago, CBJ03 said:

You are correct. Herrera had a conference call at 2:30 this afternoon with Billy Russo translating for him from Chicago. 

And I believe Hahn at least gave quotes to the media the day every other deal has been announced this offseason.

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

This sounds silly, but did the Sox hold an official press conference for Yonder Alonso yet? If not, my thought is they want to announce Alonso, Jay, and Machado at the same time.

Conference call, but Yonder isn’t big enough star for actual press conference. I do like your idea though.  Let’s hope the results are better than last joint press conference.

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

This sounds silly, but did the Sox hold an official press conference for Yonder Alonso yet? If not, my thought is they want to announce Alonso, Jay, and Machado at the same time.

They did, this was where he gave his  “this was a strictly baseball move” that helps improve this team for 2019 thing.

17 minutes ago, Tony said:

These are all valid questions/concerns. 

But once again, we need to end the myth about 2005. Wonderful year we’ll all never forget. But it was an incredibly lucky season that the Sox never came close to repeating. Not exactly a model blueprint. 

I agree completely with you.

Luck does play a part and there is not a set blueprint, for any MLB team.

I am just hesitant on the Sox handing over a record breaking franchise contract to a player that may not be a marketable face of the franchise.  Win or not, there is value in marketing. 

I want to win, badly, but if you don't, you better have a player that is beloved and I don't know if that is Machado.

44 minutes ago, Soxman72 said:

I am another Sox fan that is fairly confident the team signs Machado. 

This coming from someone still very torn on Machado.  I don't discount the talent, but doubt the person.  Is he really the face of a franchise?  The person we see on billboards and national marketing?  Is he a BIG draw for fans and sponsors?  Can he deliver a championship?

Biggest concern, contract would be largest in franchise history, is this what should be done?  I keep thinking that Eloy, Machado, and Abreu are a sick 3, 4, and 5.  That could win the division in 2019, with quality pitching.

Not trying to be an ass or bring people down.  Not my money, other than being a season ticket holder. 

Just curious if people want Machado because he is "one of the top free agents" or(and) this is the right move that will produce a championship?  

2005 was an amazing year that I will never forget.  Remember, it wasn't about signing BIG money, but extremely smart moves and spreading the money around to numerous players.

Feel free to rip me apart.  I am just tired and want this whole thing done.

The white sox have next to no salary commitments. They need a 3b. Machado's successful track record and great defensive abilities makes this a slam dunk. He's only 26.

Don't doubt it. There's nothing to doubt. This is a must-make move for the club. We need Machado more than any other club out there, by far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This site has gone to shit. The mods have no interest in regulating the inmates, so it’s just a bunch of dumb idiots. 

I can no longer trust soxtalk more than rotoworld. Where are my Fathom, SS2K, Heads, Soxbadger, Knightni, Kalapse, Gage, Tru, Zoom, etc? Just a bunch of numbnuts pontificating over nonsense.  

Bring me home, Soxtalk Champions! Let’s stay engaged. 

Edited by Steve9347
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

This site has gone to shit. The mods have no interest in regulating the inmate, so it’s just a bunch of dumb idiots. 

I can no longer trust soxtalk more than rotoworld. Where are my Fathom, SS2K, Heads, Soxbadger, Knightni, Kalapse, Gage, Tru, Zoom, etc? Judy a bunch of numbnhfs pontificating over nonsense.  

Being me home, Soxtalk. 

Wow nice name drop Steve

1 minute ago, Steve9347 said:

This site has gone to shit. The mods have no interest in regulating the inmate, so it’s just a bunch of dumb idiots. 

I can no longer trust soxtalk more than rotoworld. Where are my Fathom, SS2K, Heads, Soxbadger, Knightni, Kalapse, Gage, Tru, Zoom, etc? Judy a bunch of numbnhfs pontificating over nonsense.  

Being me home, Soxtalk. 

Everyone just wants to hear about sauces and leaks. Although I did correctly state earlier that no way White Sox Dave had the actual contract figure and that he was likely just guessing based on widely known information to make it seem like he had sauces.

Turns out, high level executives dont leak stuff about hundred million dollar contracts that could alter the face of a franchise. Go figure.

But again, that type of commentary doesnt really move the needle. People would rather post about how Machado was seen in NY (even though his instagram showed him in a warm area, which I also pointed out) or see if someone saw Machado in JR's nonexistent Bears box.

Video killed the radio star.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

This site has gone to shit. The mods have no interest in regulating the inmates, so it’s just a bunch of dumb idiots. 

I can no longer trust soxtalk more than rotoworld. Where are my Fathom, SS2K, Heads, Soxbadger, Knightni, Kalapse, Gage, Tru, Zoom, etc? Just a bunch of numbnuts pontificating over nonsense.  

Bring me home, Soxtalk Champions! Let’s stay engaged. 

So you’re saying Manny to the Sox?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Does anybody else feel Soxtalk has come into its own this week?  Like I feel all the hard work the admins did last offseason really set the site up for this week.  Really just feels great to be a part of a growing community that has provided incredible levity, insight and perspective this week and all offseason.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

Everyone just wants to hear about sauces and leaks. Although I did correctly state earlier that no way White Sox Dave had the actual contract figure and that he was likely just guessing based on widely known information to make it seem like he had sauces.

Turns out, high level executives dont leak stuff about hundred million dollar contracts that could alter the face of a franchise. Go figure.

But again, that type of commentary doesnt really move the needle. People would rather post about how Machado was seen in NY (even though his instagram showed him in a warm area, which I also pointed out) or see if someone saw Machado in JR's nonexistent Bears box.

Video killed the radio star.

Ohh a Buggles reference. Nice. This must be the Plastic Age.

Thread warning: I’ve seen a few posters attack a few others in this thread (or bait them). Specifically referring to Peavy. Whether you agree with him or not...no need to make things personal. Remember debate viewpoints but if you want to just blast someone, please Just ignore and move on. 

Now let’s go sign Manny and Harper cause why not!

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

If he played DH I think he could hit about 250/350/400 next year.  1 WAR.  What a god damn hitter he was.  The ideal man to tudor Eloy.  Get it done Hahn.

He was so fucking good. If that can be Eloy...Ooooh man. 

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres