Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't believe at all what I'm about to say but gonna say it anyway cause I was reviewing 05 team...

(so was Jermaine Dye before sox signed him)

k that's over but I agree Pollock has a lot of red flags outside from even injury.

I see what you mean, but Pollock also has compensation attached, dragging his value down. If he thinks that he is going to get 5/80 then I believe he is going to be very disappointed with this market. 

Just now, beckham15 said:

If signing both isn’t realistic, does anyone know which one they prefer, or does that matter to them and they try and sign the first one who commits? I’d hate for the Sox to hold out on Harper, Machado signs elsewhere and we lose out on both of them

I'd prefer Harper for marketability and because he's a LH power bat who gets on base. 

3 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

If signing both isn’t realistic, does anyone know which one they prefer, or does that matter to them and they try and sign the first one who commits? I’d hate for the Sox to hold out on Harper, Machado signs elsewhere and we lose out on both of them

I don't think they will play around with holding out for either. The offer is on the table for MM.

IMO MM fits our baseball needs better.

BH fits our marketability need more.

Edited by Capital G

7 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Pollock is too injury prone for my taste

Pollock definitely has big time red flags, but it all boils down to if the Sox land Machado and what Pollock's market looks like.  If you can get him for a deal between Brantley (2/$32) and Cutch (3/$50), I think you have to jump on it.  We have a gaping black hole in CF, and if you sign Machado, you may as well attempt to put a decent product on the field.  2 years would definitely be better than 3.  I know he wants like 5-7 years, but he isn't going to get that.  

5 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

We can't really afford to think that way.  If we can land Machado at a price we're willing to pay, you do it.  Especially with Boras likely to drag Harper out for a while.  

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yoan should be planted at 2B for a decade.  He'll be a plus fielder by the time he's 25 easily.  His bat plays incredibly better there.

He will be a plus 2b next year.  2018 was a big learning year for him, and he emerged from the fire with a heck of a finish to the season.

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Fuck marketability.  I want to win baseball games, which is like, the point of playing baseball games.  

Almost everyone coming up is a RH bat with the exception of Collins who may not be any good. they need to balance out the lineup.  1-2-3 of Moncada, Harper, and Eloy  would be huge. 

Edited by Sockin

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Our "media need" is to be a competitive club.  That's Manny adding 5 wins to our pile of suck at 3B.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Fuck marketability.  I want to win baseball games, which is like, the point of playing baseball games.  

While you may not care about marketability (I edited mine to that vs media as media was a poor choice) the White Sox do. Not that winning games wont help that... but winning games and having the face of baseball on your team means even more to a business.

Regardless, MM is who I would prefer since he fits our needs more. We have no 3rd base prospects and plenty of OF. MM can come up big with the bat and glove.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres