Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

He will be a plus 2b next year.  2018 was a big learning year for him, and he emerged from the fire with a heck of a finish to the season.

Toolsy young players have certainly turned from 1-2 WAR types into 4-5 WAR types in an offseason but it never seems to happen on the Sox.  Here's hoping.

The plan was always for Machado to sign in early January (first or second week). I see no reason why this would drag out. 

White Sox have him and he's signing this week or next IMO. 

At worst, this is a last ditch ploy to the other teams to up their offers. At best, it's realistic and we basically have him signed now. 

I've lurked for weeks, didn't feel the need to offer any opinion until today. Between the Stark report and the Nightengale tweet an hour later, I feel there is real smoke for the first time. I think this is beyond posturing now and real news on the Machado front is coming. Hopefully it's what we want to hear.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Capital G said:

While you may not care about marketability (I edited mine to that vs media as media was a poor choice) the White Sox do. Not that winning games wont help that... but winning games and having the face of baseball on your team means even more to a business.

Regardless, MM is who I would prefer since he fits our needs more. We have no 3rd base prospects and plenty of OF. MM can come up big with the bat and glove.

We're on the same page.

5 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Almost everyone coming up is a RH bat with the exception of Collins who may not be any good. they need to balance out the lineup.  1-2-3 of Moncada, Harper, and Eloy  would be huge. 

I've repeated in constantly so won't again, but Machado is such a better fit for the future of the franchise, it really isn't even close.  Harper would be great if MM signs  elsewhere, and both would be a dream come true, but if you can only have one, I am taking MM 100/100 times.  

Winning cures all.  Having one of the best all around players in the game who is a two way player is far more valuable than having a guy who is considered to be a face of the MLB, and considered to have a generational bat, but has really only capitalized on that one of his first 6 full seasons.  Winning baseball games > selling jerseys and promotional opportunities.  

Edited by ChiSox59

2 minutes ago, Greek-konerko said:

How u know is not? 

Because this is a game these agents are playing and they have no reason to put ink to paper anytime before April. I hope I am wrong, but nobody seems to eagar to wrap this up in a reasonable amount of time.

1 minute ago, KiwiSox said:

Because this is a game these agents are playing and they have no reason to put ink to paper anytime before April. I hope I am wrong, but nobody seems to eagar to wrap this up in a reasonable amount of time.

There will be no market in April.   Teams will move on about the time spring training starts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KiwiSox said:

They have a huge incentive to put ink to paper before April, because their pool of teams is only going to shrink by the day as they fill their needs elsewhere, not increase.  

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

There will be no market in April.   Teams will move on about the time spring training starts.

You think the market for players like Manny Machado and Bryce Harper will ever go away? They could wait to sign into the regular season if they wanted to.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres