Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, whitesoxwinner said:

Bucket hasn't said anything today but what he said a few days back about the sox likely getting this done. RaBBit yesterday said that he'd be surprised if it didn't happen by Wednesday. I'm going with those guys over notHahn

Bingo

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Think best thing right now is to really hope Phillies get Harper in the next few days.  If they meet with him and feel like he’s not coming there, I hate our chances for Manny.

Ive been pretty positive about Manny, but last week I said a few times that the deal needed to get done by Friday. Now there is obviously still a chance that the Sox sign Manny, and they have much better odds than id have thought a year ago, but I feel like deals have "momentum". And you need to get the deal done while it has positive momentum. 

It just seems like the Sox could have Manny if they really want him. And for whatever reason they are just holding out on giving into what he wants. 

2 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Bucket hasn't said anything today but what he said a few days back about the sox likely getting this done. RaBBit yesterday said that he'd be surprised if it didn't happen by Wednesday. I'm going with those guys over notHahn

I just refuse to believe these negotiations have been some sort of up and down like the "sources" claim. That's not how they work. It's a slow burn. It's not "today, he's coming. Tomorrow, he's not." 

Edited by maggsmaggs
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Bingo. These two have established track records. 

No offense to NotHahn but I’m not going to allow something he has heard to cause some heartache

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maggsmaggs said:

I just refuse to believe these negotiations have been some sort of up and down like the "sources" claim. That's not how they work. It's a slow burn. It's not "today, he's coming. Tomorrow, he's not." 

In general though when there’s momentum building and then just kinda stops typically there’s a snag. Doesn’t mean it’s over, but I’m not surprised to hear there isn’t rosy news.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

In general though when there’s momentum building and then just kinda stops typically there’s a snag. Doesn’t mean it’s over, but I’m not surprised to hear there isn’t rosy news.

Yep. If they were "close" this thing would be done. You dont add Yonder/Jay, and then miss out on Manny over $10 mil total on a contract. 

4 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

At least on the football side of things, that not how any of this works.

There is either progress or no news. Especially if a team is as deep as the Sox, it doesn’t just magically become bad news the next day. 

Maybe the Phillies upped an offer but at this point, that’s all part of the negotiations. The Sox will have to counter. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

But what momentum was actually building?  I think we’re all confusing the addition of Jay and some random tweets from insiders to suggest things were actually moving when in reality I don’t think that’s probably not the case.  To me, it really seems like it’s been the same stand-still for weeks, except now the Yankees are out and we’ved added another one of Manny’s friends.  Those are good things, but not indicative of any momentum.  Nothing really going to change in that respect until one side finally blinks.

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Can’t imagine what the bad news would possibly be. The Phillies aren’t going to bowl him over the day they’re meeting with Harper. 

My guess is it's something like this:

Our negotiations with Machado have slowed recently. There was some momentum and hope that we would reach a deal this week, but both sides appear to be far apart on the money side of things. This may drag into February. The bright side is that Philadelphia is not meeting his asking price at the moment either.

• Like 1

Just now, bmags said:

board: “Give us ANY information ANYTHiNG”

poster: “bad news...”

board: “oh check out this guy acting like an insider what does he know I’ll take my GoOD info from days ago.”

lol. nice.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres