Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Now they are leaking that they are upset with the leaking. 

I don’t know what could have changed in the last 48 hours especially with the Phillies lined up to see Harper later today. And nothing huge usually breaks on weekends, so Monday or by Wednesday seems logical.

I don’t negotiate 300million dollar deals but if someone was begging me for info i could be positive or negative as hell based on the communication that day even if I knew it wasn’t consequential stuff.

So, anyway, If I had cool friends like apparently every other poster and they told me stuff about process I wouldn’t be surprised if they were negative in the middle of it even if I’m general things were fine.

5 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

Total Frustration would be the way I would describe the conversation. Asked what the chances are of the Sox signing Harper or Machado. Answer: Not good. Sourced explained how much time and effort was put into these presentations. Hahn and co are working extremely hard and might pull something out. But this person is frustrated to the point of not seeing it happen. I do not know anything about other teams. Shoot me a PM if you would like a little more info into my source. I told Chilli about him/her. 

Also interesting was that my source thinks Harper will sign 1st.

Again I wish I had better news and I hope my source is wrong

This sounds like Machado and Harper are using the Sox for negotiating leverage and nothing more. Seems like neither are remotely interested in signing here, but they aren't going to say that publicly because their market is small to begin with

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

It would be beautiful if the Sox have been monitoring this message board and saw the info about the birthday party and then informed the one guy who they knew would be attending a party to feed people fake news at the party. 😂

I was kind of afraid of that so I went back and deleted that message but you guys keep mentioning that. shhhhhh

I think Hahn is a smart guy, crappy GM, but agree he is good at negotiating contracts. The thing is, that skill doesn’t really come in play if you are up against another team offering more money. Rick Hahn isn’t going to be able to land Machado on a team friendly deal. IHe is not some guy making minimum willing to sign a life changing contract buying out arb years even if it could cost him some cash if he is all starish..Maybe he can be creative with opt outs and the like, but that might mean the Sox would either have to pay even more or Manny and his buddies might skip town before the team is really good.

Edited by Dick Allen

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

He joined in October of 2013.  It's clearly Jose Abreu :)

Actually was a member a long time before but I’m old and forgot my info.    I’m posting because this is ridiculous.    Also my first home game was in 1973 so I’m not some guy who doesn’t love the Sox.    All I can say is Rick is working so hard on this.   

• Like 2

Just now, Mbs1969 said:

Actually was a member a long time before but I’m old and forgot my info.    I’m posting because this is ridiculous.    Also my first home game was in 1973 so I’m not some guy who doesn’t love the Sox.    All I can say is Rick is working so hard on this.   

It's sad the only thing I can remember from 2013 is that is when Abreu signed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kpet1010 said:

I think we need some more explanation. Just not good? Why not good? Did the source say anything that could explain why?

Did not go into detail. Source kept changing the subject after I asked multiple whale questions. Could tell they were getting annoyed. 

Had a good talk about Jay and how much they like him.

2 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

How do you know all of this?

3 minutes ago, mjcarlson7803 said:

Maybe I am sick but this is fun. Relax and enjoy the ride. Pretend it's the first time your went on a roller coaster at Six Flags with your eyes open. I love it. I hope it happens, if not it kept me entertained.

Unfortunately, Roller Coasters always made me sick.  😁

10 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

Total Frustration would be the way I would describe the conversation. Asked what the chances are of the Sox signing Harper or Machado. Answer: Not good. Sourced explained how much time and effort was put into these presentations. Hahn and co are working extremely hard and might pull something out. But this person is frustrated to the point of not seeing it happen. I do not know anything about other teams. Shoot me a PM if you would like a little more info into my source. I told Chilli about him/her. 

Also interesting was that my source thinks Harper will sign 1st.

Again I wish I had better news and I hope my source is wrong

3 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

Unfortunately for a lot of people, these posts arent contradictory.

I have no sources, but Im guessing that Machado is much more willing to slow play than the Sox thought. If I had to guess, they are probably like $50mil total apart. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

Did not go into detail. Source kept changing the subject after I asked multiple whale questions. Could tell they were getting annoyed. 

Had a good talk about Jay and how much they like him.

I’m not sure how well those talking points will go over at SoxFest if they end up getting shut out.

• Like 1

First time poster here.  41 year old Sox fan  whose life has become consumed by this.  I've been monitoring this board for about a week and a half, as my dad has asked me to give him any and all updates I have.  FWIW, I have believed from the onset of this offseason that the Sox are going to land one of these guys.  I don't have insider information.  But I do trust my gut.  

Maybe it's all just been wishful thinking, but I'm sticking to my guns.  I believe Machado will be putting on a White Sox jersey in front of the press before this is all over.

It's cool that there are sources out there, but the fact is that no one truly knows exactly what's happening.  That is not meant to disrespect anyone.  Let it ride, and see what happens.

• Like 3

I think the majority of fans feel this way, the Sox haven’t been legit players in a big free agent of Machado/Harper magnitude for a really long time so frustration and negative thinking is the norm. IMO i feel like his sources thinking is probably how 75 percent of fans thinking. With all of that said, having a feeling versus being told things aren’t looking good are two totally different topics

notHahn, sadly I believe that at this point you should no longer try to get info from this source. If he voluntarily offers it, great, but it seems what with his irritation with whale questions that he may have gotten yelled at/talked to about the leak. Honestly, he was probably feeding you some fake info at this point. I'd bet money that the Sox monitor this forum, especially when there is info that they are annoyed with leaks. Good luck. 

• Like 2

Also do not take this as they are not signing either. This is how some in the org feel at this moment. This seems like it is changing on a daily basis. Almost feels like the FO is on this rollercoaster with the fans. 

I tend to think that Hanh will sign one. I think that when you are too close to the situation you can't see the whole picture. They have to sign with someone. 

Or they told the source some bullshit story cause they know info is leaking. In the end I believe we will be shut out. Gonna have to overpay just to make a statement. Years of penny pinching and bargain hunting does that

1 minute ago, NotHahn said:

Also do not take this as they are not signing either. This is how some in the org feel at this moment. This seems like it is changing on a daily basis. Almost feels like the FO is on this rollercoaster with the fans. 

I tend to think that Hanh will sign one. I think that when you are too close to the situation you can't see the whole picture. They have to sign with someone. 

Oh. Thanks for that great info. I guess? 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres