Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

How much was Michael Jordan’s contract with the Bulls? I think JR is willing to spend just these agents are probably getting ridiculous. Someone’s source said that the FO was getting 😡 so JR stepping in makes sense

Edited by bulokis

Correct me if I'm wrong but I am sure I saw a report at least a month ago and maybe longer that Reinsdorf would be leading all negotiations on these players.  I think it was in reference to Harper at the time.

JR gets off on negotiating.  He always has.  He does with the Bulls as well.  This is probably his last best chance to sink his teeth into something substantive

32 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

Should this make us feel better or worse? Has JR negotiated any contracts lately? I'm not sure that changing the lead negotiator mid-stream makes me feel warm and fuzzy. 

I'm pretty sure I read that Jerry was going to negotiate the contract when we first learned the Sox were interested.  Once it gets down to the nitty gritty he knows quite a few tricks and will use them all .

• Like 1

Mr. Reinsdorf calls up Philly.

JR says let me tell you a story Philly.  Christmas time and 2 daddys want dolls for their daughter.  Only 2 dolls left.   One putz tries to buy both dolls for $100.  Next guy is pissed off and says I’ll buy both for $200.  Bidding goes all the way up to $1000 for frickin dolls.  They both end up getting one doll for $500.  They could have both had one doll for $50. 

Gotta go.  I have an appointment with a free agent 3rd basemen.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

Mr. Reinsdorf is a self made billionaire and arguably the most powerful man in sports.   He didn’t get there by accident.  He is a shrewd but fair negotiator and admires the same.   This isn’t  bad development it just shows how big this is.  

The more JR gets involved, the less likely it is Machado or Harper signs with the Sox.  I don't think there's any arguing that.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LittleHurt05 said:

The more JR gets involved, the less likely it is Machado or Harper signs with the Sox.  I don't think there's any arguing that.

Maybe Im reading this incorrectly, but are you saying that if JR gets involved the Sox arent getting one?

Because Id say the opposite, the only way the Sox sign Machado or Harper is if JR is involved. 

2 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I think it's the opposite. I can't see how any owner would not be involved in contract negotiations of this magnitude.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I don't think this is true at all. If anything, JR would have to be involved if the Sox were to sign one of them because he's the guy writing the checks.

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

Maybe Im reading this incorrectly, but are you saying that if JR gets involved the Sox arent getting one?

Because Id say the opposite, the only way the Sox sign Machado or Harper is if JR is involved. 

This is where I fall.  If it didn't involve ownership, this process never got off of the ground.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres