Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

8/$232M seems like a reasonable contract that both sides will eventually settle on. $29M/year makes Manny the highest paid position player in baseball in terms of AAV, I believe.  Sox go an extra year compared to the 7 that has been highly reported as their sticking point. 

That's a contract that the Sox, fans, and even Manny can be happy with.

2 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I dig this.  This is hardball from the Sox.  They are showing Lozano how delusional his expectations were.  You think your client is worth $300 mil???  Watch us leak these lowish numbers and your phone remain silent.  Their read must be that the Phillies want Harper and are not going to top the Sox current offer.

This seems like the opposite of what would happen.

2 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I dig this.  This is hardball from the Sox.  They are showing Lozano how delusional his expectations were.  You think your client is worth $300 mil???  Watch us leak these lowish numbers and your phone remain silent.  Their read must be that the Phillies want Harper and are not going to top the Sox current offer.

I think it's pathetic and nobody should be excited because 2021 season is gonna we wiped out and the Sox are gonna lose a year in everybody's primes during peak roster -- AGAIN.

• Like 1

Who knows what the offer was or what ongoing discussions involve, but this wasn't/isn't a sealed bid auction for Manny.  Why would you ever front your best offer, it's not like if Phillies or another team offered him 8/200 he wouldn't have ongoing discussions with other interested clubs.

17 minutes ago, Sockin said:

I refuse to believe they are that stupid to throw out such a low ball offer. 

Its not a lowball offer if it is the best offer.

Hahn is playing this correctly.  I've said it 100 times, but why pay the man $300M if you can get him for $200M.  That $100M will go a long way in filling the other 24 spots on the roster.  You only blink when you need to blink. 

It's about being gotten at 7/175...if he does sign for that or even 7$210M, baseball is screwed seven ways to Sunday.  

Jason Heyward signed for 8/$184.......Machado at 8/$240 is low but fair

Look if the Sox get him at 7/$200 nobody will complain but the sport is then obviously going in a direction that will not benefit us as fans or the MLBPA

This isn't like buying an undervalued house because the market crashed this is GM's crashing a market.  Guaranteeing a salary cap and floor in the next negotiation.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres