Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

19 minutes ago, Lillian said:

If we want to get all conspiratorial, this latest report that the Yankees prefer Arenado could be a ploy to entice Manny to sign with his "favorite" team. If he still has hopes of playing for N. Y., perhaps after an opt out with us, this could scare him into signing with them now, before they acquire another long term third baseman. 

Thanks, Lillian. Now I have one more thing to worry about.

1 minute ago, Mooseman said:

Aren't the Steinbrenners and Reinsdorfs old family friends? Perhaps its a combination being tired of being used by MAchados camp for more money and doing some old friends a solid...

That would be collusion and I don't doubt Jerry in colluding

It's hard to believe the Yankees wouldn't love to have Machado. I suspect that they are being so coy, simply because they know that he wants to play for them. Why should they aggressively court a guy, whom they know wants to be on their team?  My hope is that Machado and his agent can see through this charade, and that Manny becomes a little miffed, and decides that he is no longer so enamored with the Yankee mystic. Come on Manny, come to the South Side and lead this young team to thwart the Yankees' quest for yet another World Championship.

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

What does that even mean? Like a mutual option kinda thing?

It's like what that deal that the Japanese pitcher signed for. The team could opt for a long-term extension say after 4 years and if they don't, that triggers an opt-out a year sooner for the player.

Edited by soxfan2014

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

It's hard to believe the Yankees wouldn't love to have Machado. I suspect that they are being so coy, simply because they know that he wants to play for them. Why should they aggressively court a guy, whom they know wants to be on their team?  My hope is that Machado and his agent can see through this charade, and that Manny becomes a little miffed, and decides that he is no longer so enamored with the Yankee mystic. Come on Manny, come to the South Side and lead this young team to thwart the Yankees' quest for yet another World Championship.

You got a heart for 'thwart.'

If Manny had a reasonable/good offer right now, he'd sign.

Problem is, it doesn't seem like he has a good offer in hand.

White Sox being cheap, but perhaps correctly based on the market. 

Will see if their shrewdness pays off with a lower-than-expected contract to Manny, or if it bites them in the ass and ruins this franchise. 

Edited by iWiN4PreP

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

Well that sounds like a great deal for the Sox if that's what it is.

Yeah that's what I'm saying. Doesn't make sense he has to settle for that. But yeah, if they opt-out of the extension, its possible they only get him for 3-4 years or whatever. 

Edited by soxfan2014

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah I guess that's what it could be. I don't really understand it. Kinda crazy that he would have to settle for something like that over a guaranteed long deal.

He probably doesn't mind it since the rebuild could blow up in their face...and he'll only be 30 and still be able to get his cheddar.

Sox will do it because they need to land a whale.

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I still don't even buy the possibility of it. The first to report it was some guy from New York. How would he know anything about these negotiations? That's probably the report they're running with on the radio.

Doesn’t it also kind of make some sense out of what Levine said? I know he was fumbling around but it probably is a contract that’s 175 million guaranteed if he sticks with the contract and more valuable if the Sox opt in.

My guess based on all the stuff we’ve heard:

The rumored out opt only gives manny the power if the Sox don’t excersize their opt in to keep him long term.

3 years guaranteed at 30 million

If the Sox opt in after 3: 8 for 250

If the Sox opt out and Manny does not opt out: 7 years 175

And obviously if Sox opt out and Manny opts out: 3 years 90

Edited by Orlando
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Orlando said:

My guess based on all the stuff we’ve heard:

3 years guaranteed at 30 million

If the Sox opt in after 3: 8 for 250

If the Sox opt out and Manny does not opt out: 7 years 175

And obviously if Sox opt out and Manny opts out: 3 years 90

As long as there isn't a way for Manny to opt out and walk away without the Sox doing anything, give him whatever he wants - just get him signed. It almost seems like the Sox giving him this type of deal signals they fully expect to be able to develop a good hitting core on their own. I can't foresee Manny completely falling apart or not having monster years at the G-Spot to make them want to get out of the deal.

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I see no reason why the Sox would opt out after 3 years unless the rebuild fails miserably or Machado's performance suddenly falls off a cliff. There's essentially no risk for the Sox in that scenario which is good for us, but puzzling as to why Machado's side would accept a deal like that.

I think the appealing thing is no matter how bad he does the first three years, if he doesn’t opt out the Sox are on the hook for at least 7

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres