Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

12 minutes ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

I "hearted" your post literally because you used the word thwart lol

I see. Thanks. Well, it is the best choice of words, in that sentence. I guess "foiled" would be just as good. Sports writers would probably say "derail," or "block". Aren't words wonderful?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

If Manny had a reasonable/good offer right now, he'd sign.

Problem is, it doesn't seem like he has a good offer in hand.

White Sox being cheap, but perhaps correctly based on the market. 

Will see if their shrewdness pays off with a lower-than-expected contract to Manny, or if it bites them in the ass and ruins this franchise. 

That seems like a terrible oversimplification.  There is at least a fair chance this is a complex deal with opportunities for multiple opt outs.  Neither side just wants to give into the other side, each wants the best for them.  It isn't just saying here take this 10/400 deal.  That would be ridiculous and a waste of limited resources.  Each has a responsibility to make sure they are doing the best for their stakeholders, as well as getting a deal that works for the other side.  

35 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

If Manny had a reasonable/good offer right now, he'd sign.

Problem is, it doesn't seem like he has a good offer in hand.

White Sox being cheap, but perhaps correctly based on the market. 

Will see if their shrewdness pays off with a lower-than-expected contract to Manny, or if it bites them in the ass and ruins this franchise. 

I honestly think he has a good offer but it’s not a record breaking offer. It was rumored that Lozano wanted to beat Stanton’s offer and they might be sticking it out just in case someone gives it to him. They already know that the Sox will do anything to get Manny with the way they went ahead and trade for Yonder and signed John Jay

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

If true, they must just really not like Machado. Otherwise you could just sign him now and it just costs money.

I really think They're saving their money for next offseason. They will be spending on one of the big pitchers. They are going to need a pitcher and it will cost quite a bit. 

Just now, fathom said:

Doesn’t that sound like most obvious plant ever?  Has a big offer from a team he doesn’t want to play for.

It didn't say that. He said not preferred destination...I think NY is the preferred destination so that label could be for us too. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres