Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Haha this thread is gonna blow up when everybody gets back to work from their lunch break...

Edit from mod: here is a nice summary

On 1/3/2019 at 12:45 PM, Jose Abreu said:

I'm gonna try to summarize today's rumors, both for my sanity and for those who are catching up:

-A respected Dodgers reporter said that he heard from a friend of Machado that he is considering signing with the White Sox

-Bucket re-appeared and said that the Sox feel really good about their chances with Harper and that the Cubs aren't a threat

-Nightengale reported that the Sox have offered Machado a contract and are still in contact with Harper

-WhiteSoxDave reported that the Sox chances with Machado are "good", "great", and "fantastic" between 2 blog posts and predicted that he signs with us within the next 5 days

Did I miss anything significant?

• Like 3

With no "official" offers to Harper or seemingly Machado before today, I wonder what this means. They clearly were talking about dollars with both guys. They haven't spent 2 weeks detailing the best place in the city to get Italian beef.

So, does the fact that the Sox are "official" now mean that they have hammered out the details and are expecting Manny to sign? At very least, we're finally ready for the Endgame thread title to return.

So on one hand we had a tweet yesterday saying we have offered only 7 year contracts and then today we have a tweet saying we haven't offered a contract to Harper?

Maybe I'm not analyzing the necessary details of what a 'formal' offer is and such, but this seems idiotic. 

This gamesmanship of leaked tweets and such is at the height of ridiculousness. I'd hope that players, agents, and front office people are much smarter and honest than to be swayed by leaks like this. It's hilariously simple-minded. 

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

So on one hand we had a tweet yesterday saying we have offered only 7 year contracts and then today we have a tweet saying we haven't offered a contract to Harper?

Maybe I'm not analyzing the necessary details of what a 'formal' offer is and such, but this seems idiotic. 

This gamesmanship of leaked tweets and such is at the height of ridiculousness. I'd hope that players, agents, and front office people are much smarter and honest than to be swayed by leaks like this. It's hilariously simple-minded. 

Yeah, I think we don't know what constitutes are formal or official contract offer. Clearly the Sox are talking about money with both of these guys. Maybe they don't "officially" offer a contract until they have hammered out all the details, and it's basically take-it-or-leave-it from there?

As for the 7 year thing, the report was that the Sox were absolutely set against it (and I don't believe that report). But we don't know if their offer to Machado is more than 7 years, assuming that we have actually offered him now.

• Like 1

Just now, elwood5892 said:

So Nightengale says the Sox have officially offered a contract and another writer (Morsi or Stark?) says the Yanks and Phillies are focusing on the bullpen this week. Can I put two and two together and proceed to get an erection?

Hopefully. Been walking around the office at half mast all day. It's time to let 'er fly.

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, elwood5892 said:

So Nightengale says the Sox have officially offered a contract and another writer (Morsi or Stark?) says the Yanks and Phillies are focusing on the bullpen this week. Can I put two and two together and proceed to get an erection?

Phillies just signed DRob

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres