Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, shipps said:

So the Yankees have just conceded then? I am supposed to believe that they aren’t even going to try and make him an offer? That can’t be true, sorry. 

Yeah, this is bogus. I also don't believe that they haven't made him an official offer yet. 

5 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

By then, you hopefully won't be needing one!

Hopefully. If not I should get a solid answer with what is holding things up. I know 3 days seems like forever in the social media give me tweets now age (I joined twitter just for Machado/Harper news).

Mods, you know those “guess the pieces of candy in the jar and win the jar” games?

Can we do a “Guess the total Harpchado posts since the offseason started” thread when this is all done?  

Winner gets 3 hours as #1 Mod with full ban & banner controls.  

• Like 1

I just don't see Philadelphia making sense if Harper's likely (or possibly, who knows) going back to Washington (and maybe keeping Rendon in that case as well)...and Atlanta being on the cusp of having a mini-dynasty in terms of their talent level coming up, especially on the pitching side.

Philadelphia just doesn't have enough pieces in place offensively to be the type of team that's set up to dominate for 3-4 years, and Arrieta's getting long in the tooth as well.  Sure, they have Nola, but how much better can he realistically be than over the last couple of seasons?

Other than stupid money, what's the argument for Philly?  Plus, he's already comfortable in the AL and familiar with all the pitchers.

Simply the fact that they were in first place or hovering near the top of the division for most of 2018?

His desire to pass Donovan McNabb, Joel Embiid, Rocky or Dr. J in Philly Lore?

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

5th longest thread in board history. Only halfway to Cespedes-mania.

Thank god we didn't end up with Cespedes or Gordon.  That's the scary part with these big contracts, and those were not even close to the financial commitment this one's going to end up as.

At a certain point, you just have to take a leap of faith and "go for it!" on a player at that age and talent level, whether it's Harper or Machado, that's a decision that most GM's would make 98 times out of 100 if it made so much sense to the franchise from a financial and marketing perspective.

Philly and Chicago are the two teams that failing to strike with either player will be incredibly demoralizing...especially Philly, because they're even closer to contention but they've also got a number of teams blocking their future path.

4 minutes ago, Bigsoxhurt35 said:

Coincidence that Machado is going to the White Sox the same weekend the Kansas City Chiefs win their first playoff game at home since 1993? I think not! 😏

Please delete this post, lol.  All of Kansas City will hold you responsible if you just jinxed another playoff appearance.  They're getting to be like the Atlanta Braves or Browns/Bills when it comes to the post-season.

3 minutes ago, Bigsoxhurt35 said:

Coincidence that Machado is going to the White Sox the same weekend the Kansas City Chiefs win their first playoff game at home since 1993? I think not! 😏

You sure about that second part? The Chiefs tend to shit the bed against the Colts in the playoffs, and the Chiefs have looked shaky while the Colts have, well, not.

Edited by Dam8610

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres