Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

37 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

So do we think the reports from last night are actually bad for the Sox? Do we think those are leaks and they’re being used for leverage?

I think Manny wants to sign with the Sox at this point (going off of nothing other than a gut feeling). I think if Lozano and Machado are trying to get other teams to enter the mix, it's because they want to get the Sox to increase their offer, not because Manny wants to play for a different team.

2 minutes ago, FT35 said:

Totally with you!  My thoughts have changed a little the last couple days though...I think you still bring him in and would then hope that just the reality of being here and the other greener pasture doors get closed, he can focus on getting settled in and playing for the White Sox for a long time.  I think you get a natural buy-in from him at that point.  It's only "not his first choice" now...but if he were actually here, I think you'd see the investment on his part take off.  

i see your point but its business right now. The Machado camp is just trying to maximize its value. Still thinks he waits for Harper to sign but Rick is trying to get this done now.

17 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

8/250 is a good starting point.  If Passan's story is accurate, the Sox would be willing to add years and money.  They're not going to go in and give them their best offer first.  Hopefully true negotiations start soon.

It took us two months to offer a lowball deal lol. 

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

I think Manny wants to sign with the Sox at this point (going off of nothing other than a gut feeling). I think if Lozano and Machado are trying to get other teams to enter the mix, it's because they want to get the Sox to increase their offer, not because Manny wants to play for a different team.

SO, if it would get it DONE, why don't the Sox come back and say OK 9 yrs and $280M./ They need to get the name signed on the bottom line! Just do it!

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

A player is worth what the market is willing to pay.  How can it be a “lowball deal” if it’s a competitive offer in this market.  It’s clear they are in on both players to varying degrees so the more they don’t outbid themselves, the better their chances at landing both and not hamstringing the team’s future.

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

I don't understand why people think this deal is a lowball. It's the second largest contract in AAV in MLB history, not to mention, apparently no one has a better offer on the table. If the AAV is true, no one can justly claim the Sox did not offer their best. 

1 minute ago, Saufley said:

SO, if it would get it DONE, why don't the Sox come back and say OK 9 yrs and $280M./ They need to get the name signed on the bottom line! Just do it!

Because if they're the only team aggressively pursing they don't need to increase their offer unless necessary. They'd be bidding against themselves with that.

1 minute ago, heirdog said:

A player is worth what the market is willing to pay.  How can it be a “lowball deal” if it’s a competitive offer in this market.  It’s clear they are in on both players to varying degrees so the more they don’t outbid themselves, the better their chances at landing both and not hamstringing the team’s future.

My point is, I don't think we started with this offer. I think it was lower, and we actually increased it to this offer over the months. And will soon increase it more. I do not think this was our start with him after two months. 

13 minutes ago, centerfieldsixers said:

its exciting that we put an offer but this is far from over. dont count out the mystery teams.  they seem to win these things

So there is some team that willingly skipped Manny's "free agency tour," managed to keep their interest from leaking to the media or their fans, and is now ready to drop a $250 mil + offer on Manny?  I don't buy it.

Edited by Perfect Vision
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

I don't understand why people think this deal is a lowball. It's the second largest contract in AAV in MLB history, not to mention, apparently no one has a better offer on the table. If the AAV is true, no one can justly claim the Sox did not offer their best. 

Again, my lol was for thinking this was the first offer. This is not a lowball deal because this is a serious offer, our lowball deal probably occured last month. 

The buyer never puts their best offer first. Negotiations have to start somewhere. 

Sure, we could complain about the Sox low balling to get things started. Or we could appreciate the fact it was the White Sox to make the first offer to get things started.

I think that Machado's camp really needs to be careful. Harper's too, for that matter.

We're starting to get to a point where there simply are just not very many teams left. I dont know how much leverage these agents have left. I doubt that the Hahn and Co. really see the Yankees as a threat, especially if they're only offering around 5-year, $160 million. 

And I dont think the Sox will really see the Phillies as a threat for Machado if they sign Harper. Regardless of where these guys sign, I dont think it will be with the same team. So if today it gets announced that the Phillies signed Harper to a 10-year, $325 million deal, the Machado camp loses so much leverage, because who would the players even be? A Yankees team that doesn't want to touch $200 million? A mystery team that has somehow managed to stay out of the news cycle for 2 months?

One of these guys needs to bite, or they could be losing out on tens of millions of dollars.

10 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

So there is some team that willingly skipped Manny's "free agency tour," managed to keep their interest from leaking to the media or their fans, and is now ready to drop a $250 mil + offer on Manny?  I don't buy it.

Yes, it happens all the time.

13 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

There is a history of "Mystery Teams".  Cano and the Mariners, Pujols and the Angels, ARod and the Rangers, etc.  People did not see those teams as destinations.  Now, general theme to those three listed, BAD.  Overpaid and two didn't finish with the teams they signed with.

I agree with you on the social media leaks, but I don't think you can immeadietly discount it.  Especially if numbers aren't as high as originally thought.  A team could have jumped in the last 48 hours and nobody would know.  It has been eerily quiet, in regards to the number of teams, for a 26 year old with big numbers.

If I was Hahn, I wouldn't bank on a mystery team during negotiations, but it has to be in your mind somewhere.

Edited by Soxman72
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Because if they're the only team aggressively pursing they don't need to increase their offer unless necessary. They'd be bidding against themselves with that.

I understand that and IF there is another team out there hopefully the Sox would be given another chance to up their offer. BUT, if they are at 8/$250 I wouldn't want someone else to come in at a little above that to have Machado sign elsewhere. If RH is the great negotiator then figure out what it will take and what JR is willing to spend.

16 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I agree - its tough to buy.  But its also tough to understand how teams like the Brewers, Twins, and Padres (to name a few that make the most sense) aren't jumping into the fray if they can get Machado for around $30M AAV.  They can all afford him, and definitely could all use him.  

Just now, Saufley said:

I understand that and IF there is another team out there hopefully the Sox would be given another chance to up their offer. BUT, if they are at 8/$250 I wouldn't want someone else to come in at a little above that to have Machado sign elsewhere. If RH is the great negotiator then figure out what it will take and what JR is willing to spend.

The White Sox aren't just going to up their offer every day until Manny signs, they're going to put an offer on the table and wait until Machado's side comes back with a contract offer that they would sign. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres