Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

5 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:

'go down swinging' means we'll have offers at the expected level of what he's gonna get

it's what the board wants, basically to a T, so i'm not going to get up in arms on that phrasing.

If he takes less than us to go to NY we are not to blame. if he takes slightly less with Chicago to avoid Philly, then Philly would blame themselves for not having Alonso/Jay. You can go round and round on what it means to have money not be the sole determinant.

As Hahn said, it's a binary issue.  He either gets him or doesn't.  Not getting him would be inexcusable, as that would be two straight offseasons where they didn't add any premium or controllable assets.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

As Hahn said, it's a binary issue.  He either gets him or doesn't.  Not getting him would be inexcusable, as that would be two straight offseasons where they didn't add any premium or controllable assets.

Ok, this is creepy as fuck.  I’m literally watching the “Rick & Rick” session off my DVR and hear Hahn say “it’s binary” as I’m reading this post.

But I 100% agree.  Either you land Machado/Harper or you failed.  Second place doesn’t matter.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, Princess Dye said:

Why isn't it plausible that because of our payroll space we are offering our total dollars in a way that is more palatable to a free agent's desires (backload/frontload)? What if we are lower on dollars and more open to the option years the player wants?  It's not binary.

I don't doubt that Hahn and co are going to be creative, but rarely does "less guaranteed money" win a FA battle.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

This SD guy has to be full of shit. He actually said it could be done this weekend. Machado and his agent couldn't be big enough dicks and have that news come out while the Sox fan fest was going on. And no one else has it.

I would put the odds of it getting done on a weekend somewhere around 0%

14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Illinois is one of the 3 highest taxed states in the country.

Not just using income tax as my barometer. 

Well, yeah, but I used to live in California and the issue there is that property taxes were capped an insanely low level in the seventies, so, to make of for it, their income tax is very high.  In Illinois, it’s the reverse.  Solution:  don’t buy property in Illinois.  No way to avoid Cali’s income tax.

1 minute ago, Timmy U said:

Well, yeah, but I used to live in California and the issue there is that property taxes were capped an insanely low level in the seventies, so, to make of for it, their income tax is very high.  In Illinois, it’s the reverse.  Solution:  don’t buy property in Illinois.  No way to avoid Cali’s income tax.

Or just buy in the city and hire whatever property tax appeals law firm your alderman / other elected official is connected to. 

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Like I said the other day, the only advantage San Diego has over Chicago is the weather. Illinois has a lower tax rate than California, the Sox play in a much easier division than the Padres, and the Sox have some of his best friends on this team. If the money is relatively equal, I see no reason why he would choose them over us.

Our GM got boned without lube by the Padres GM in the Shields Trade. How could you say that weather is the only thing they have on us? Their front office is obviously better, and they’ve shown a willingness to overpay for players in the past 

2 minutes ago, Whitesoxa6 said:

Our GM got boned without lube by the Padres GM in the Shields Trade. How could you say that weather is the only thing they have on us? Their front office is obviously better, and they’ve shown a willingness to overpay for players in the past 

And the Cubs got absolutely boned in the Quintana deal. Does that mean Hahn is obviously better than Theo?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Whitesoxa6 said:

Pretty sure they provided fraudulent medical records. 

6 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

I still don’t understand how this is possible. If that actually occurred and it can be proven, how is there no recourse for that?

Preller was suspended. Twice hes been suspended. Hes the only executive I've ever heard of be suspended once let alone twice. He should be banned from baseball really.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, G&T said:

Pretty sure they provided fraudulent medical records. 

I agree. I know the padres have always said that they had no knowledge of anything being wrong with shields. Also know the league office couldn't find anything with Shields. I just find it mighty suspicious- especially when they carried 2 sets of medicals on other players. 

I don't want to beat a dead horse.  And I know it has been discussed at length here. At the time of the investigation, I always hoped the league would have found San Diego guilty. And the commissioner ordered Tatis back to Chicago. 

I know, what a pipe dream. But could you imagine Tatis, Eloy, Robert, and Moncada! That would be fun!

25 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

No they didnt.  Quintana is giving them value.  Shields gave us nothing

The point of my post was not to compare Quintana and Shields, because there’s no argument there. My point was that it’s ridiculous to claim one front office is clearly better than another because of one trade. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Perfect Vision said:

I wonder if the seriousness of the Padres interest in Machado is at all tied to them acquiring Realmuto.  My guess is Realmuto is traded before Machado signs.  Pulling off that trade would be a sign that they want to compete this year, which could motivate them further to acquire Machado.  If the Dodgers get Realmuto, I could see the Padres waiting until next offseason to make a splash.

Reports have been that the Padres only want Realmuto with an extension. Realmuto has 2 years left at age 28 and 29 seasons. So his extension could be what, 4 years/$90M? Then if you add in Machado at $210M minimum, you are talking $300M commitments from them this off-season, plus the $144M they gave Hosmer last year. About $450M in contract given out by the Padres to 3 players? That seems like a stretch to me.

13 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Reports have been that the Padres only want Realmuto with an extension. Realmuto has 2 years left at age 28 and 29 seasons. So his extension could be what, 4 years/$90M? Then if you add in Machado at $210M minimum, you are talking $300M commitments from them this off-season, plus the $144M they gave Hosmer last year. About $450M in contract given out by the Padres to 3 players? That seems like a stretch to me.

With that ballpark I was always surprised they couldn't sustain a higher payroll, but the B-R estimate, including arbitration, has their payroll jumping to $115 million in 2020 without any additions, and that would be a record payroll for them. 

There was a thorough analysis done recently on that. The players have to pay taxes to every state for the days worked there. No taxes due for a 3 game series in Seattle as Washington doesn’t have a state income tax. 

Mariners players pay the least in baseball, about 3%. California players around 9%. Chicago roughly 5%. 

The 4% difference between Chicago and SD on a $250M contract would be $10M, plus a higher cost of living there. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres