Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Something doesn’t add up with the Padres as the mystery team with the highest offer.  Andy Martino mentioned that Manny visited a mystery team a few weeks ago, and Heyman suggested that team has highest offer.  Does this mean there’s another mystery team besides Padres?

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

Something doesn’t add up with the Padres as the mystery team with the highest offer.  Andy Martino mentioned that Manny visited a mystery team a few weeks ago, and Heyman suggested that team has highest offer.  Does this mean there’s another mystery team besides Padres?

I really don’t believe there was any mystery team. Certainly not one with the highest offer. That was Lozano and the Padres stuff now is facilitated by Lozano as well. He is trying to gain leverage and it’s understandable. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, fathom said:

Not gonna lie i’m a little concerned with it possibly being the Mets, it’s NY, his wife loves it there and they’d be one of the only real possible mystery teams I could see us losing out to...

25 minutes ago, fathom said:

If there is someone more treacherous than Boras/Lozano it’s Preller of the Padres. I believe it was one of the national writers that said the Padres were interested in Mike Moustakis, just a few days ago. Now suddenly The Padres are interested In Machado. It could be Preller is wanting to put some pressure on Boras/Moustakis, and that’s all there is to it. 

13 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

Not gonna lie i’m a little concerned with it possibly being the Mets, it’s NY, his wife loves it there and they’d be one of the only real possible mystery teams I could see us losing out to...

Yeah but They're going to have to shell out alot of money to their young core of pitchers soon.

19 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

I guarantee the Mets are not involved.  They're still paying for their owner's Madoff mistake.  NYC prices for a mid-tier payroll.  League should have made them sell.

28 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I guarantee the Mets are not involved.  They're still paying for their owner's Madoff mistake.  NYC prices for a mid-tier payroll.  League should have made them sell.

They might as well have not signed Lowrie and not traded for Cano. That money could have gone towards signing Machado.

Edited by soxfan2014

16 minutes ago, Orlando said:

He says that Machado “hasn’t responded in kind” to the White Sox offer

Just means he hasn’t accepted it. You can tell which Sox reporters think they have a chance to sign Manny and which ones don’t.

edit: feel free to say I interpreted it wrong and that DVS is saying that Lozano didn’t even respond to the offer.

Edited by fathom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Is Aaron Bummer, Carson Fulmer, or Laz Rivera someone you think will be on our next playoff team?

You're confident in the burner account package?   Regardless, all have talent.  No reason to move Rivera...middle  infielders are scarce, which is why orgs like the Dodgers stockpile them.   I'm pretty sure Minaya, Cordell and Madeiros won't be on the next playoff team....2 of those guys came for 2 excellent relievers so they should work.

Edited by GreenSox

Hosmer this year and onward and Will Myers starting next year make over $20MM annually.  They have less flexibility in the short term (hard to front load contract on what will be a 75 win team at best) like White Sox have.

And then the anti-west coast and no family/ friends make this a pretty uneven battle between padres and Sox in White Sox favor.  Padres entry this late in game is only meant to push white Sox to add an additional few million to their offer or sweeten deal some way.  This will be done soon.

I’d be more worried if one of the initial suitors (Yanks or Phils) were putting the press on.  Yanks, by all accounts, are out.   And Phils focused on Harper most likely realizing Sox not going away on Manny.  

This is the last gasp effort (SD trying to meet Manny in next few days...may not even happen) and I expect signing done by early next week.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

You're confident in the burner account package?   Regardless, all have talent.  No reason to move Rivera...middle  infielders are scarce, which is why orgs like the Dodgers stockpile them.   I'm pretty sure Minaya, Cordell and Madeiros won't be on the next playoff team....2 of those guys came for 2 excellent relievers so they should work.

With Leury, Sanchez and Rondon already backups to TA/Moncada, where does Rivera fit into the picture? Then there's Madrigal coming up behind Rivera. Nothing against Laz but he's very expendable.

No inside info.  I just feel today is the day Manny tells his agent to wrap it up.  Time to join his new home.  Time to join his old friends and his new friends.  Time to energize the Chicago White Sox.  The team that showed him that they see him as someone to build the team around and give the highest contract in franchise history. 

Dont get hopes up on this.  Don’t let it ruin your day if I am way wrong.  Alonso saying surprise in interviews and FaceTime Machado from Sox Fest.  The Sox have the best offer I believe.  The Sox have shown him respect.  I think Manny WANTS to sign.  

17 minutes ago, 103 mph screwball said:

No inside info.  I just feel today is the day Manny tells his agent to wrap it up.  Time to join his new home.  Time to join his old friends and his new friends.  Time to energize the Chicago White Sox.  The team that showed him that they see him as someone to build the team around and give the highest contract in franchise history. 

Dont get hopes up on this.  Don’t let it ruin your day if I am way wrong.  Alonso saying surprise in interviews and FaceTime Machado from Sox Fest.  The Sox have the best offer I believe.  The Sox have shown him respect.  I think Manny WANTS to sign.  

I feel like I've heard this before in the last 3 months, maybe I'm wrong 🤔🤔🤔

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Is Aaron Bummer, Carson Fulmer, or Laz Rivera someone you think will be on our next playoff team?

Maybe. No one can say with 100% accuracy. But if kept and they improve they can be used in other moves when we expect to compete. That's the importance of depth in the system.

What do you make of the reported Hahn quote that Machado's agent has "not responded in kind." ?

I think the White Sox are at least entitled to a counter-proposal from Lozano given all of the effort that the organization has gone to in order to attract Manny and his family to Chicago.  If Lozano is just using the White Sox to leverage a higher offer, we will all be pissed off along with the White Sox ownership and management.

I understand the competitive bidding process, but at some point it can get abusive.

Lozano can just ask the teams still interested in Manny and that Manny would like to play for to submit their highest and best offer in x amount of time, then let him decide.  This isn't rocket science as they say.

Come on Manny for Chrissakes make a decision.  We will all but kiss your ass to play here.

13 minutes ago, tray said:

What do you make of the reported Hahn quote that Machado's agent has "not responded in kind." ?

I think the White Sox are at least entitled to a counter-proposal from Lozano given all of the effort that the organization has gone to in order to attract Manny and his family to Chicago.  If Lozano is just using the White Sox to leverage a higher offer, we will all be pissed off along with the White Sox ownership and management.

I understand the competitive bidding process, but at some point it can get abusive.

Lozano can just ask the teams still interested in Manny and that Manny would like to play for to submit their highest and best offer in x amount of time, then let him decide.  This isn't rocket science as they say.

Come on Manny for Chrissakes make a decision.  We will all but kiss your ass to play here.

Respond in kind I would think would mean the Sox gave them an offer, they didn’t respond with a counter proposal. 

Maybe they haven’t responded at all. Maybe they said thanks for the offer we’ll get back to you. But to me,Hahns comment implies lack of a counter.

At a certain point, the Sox should just give Harper a big offer if Lozano refuses to let this happen and if Harper signs it, then we have our whale. Imagine what Manny would get if Harper suddenly signed with the Sox and he no longer could use the Sox as leverage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sarava said:

At a certain point, the Sox should just give Harper a big offer if Lozano refuses to let this happen and if Harper signs it, then we have our whale. Imagine what Manny would get if Harper suddenly signed with the Sox and he no longer could use the Sox as leverage.

I’ve been saying that the Sox should at least be engaging with Harpers people publicly to gain leverage in the Manny negotiations. They can use that. Tell Manny they only have room to sign one and they are getting closer with Harper. They kind of blew the opportunity to do that when they signed all of Mannys boys to show their commitment to him. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, shipps said:

I’ve been saying that the Sox should at least be engaging with Harpers people publicly to gain leverage in the Manny negotiations. They can use that. Tell Manny they only have room to sign one and they are getting closer with Harper. They kind of blew the opportunity to do that when they signed all of Mannys boys to show their commitment to him. 

Agree, but if he picks us over San Diego and Philly with close offers because those boys...it's worth it. And Jay was a good get for the money anyways

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres