Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

4 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Setting aside all of the other factors, which would be part of any consideration for one of J. R's sons to tweet that, can you see how they would desire to anonymously and secretly provide some good news to the fan base? 

99% of the fan base has never heard of, and will never hear of, J. Michael Robertson's twitter account.

EDIT: Shipps beat me to it 😕

Edited by gusguyman

8 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I'm just trying to attach a motive to someone, regarding tweeting such a message. It's anonymous, so that pretty much negates the idea of an attention seeker. Why would someone do this, and who is the most likely author?

So, do I call it a night or do I stick around for a while?

9 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

If they wanted this news out there, they'd give it to whoever their favored beat writer/reporter is. There's no reason to be completely anonymous about it.

Yes, but wouldn't that entail disclosing their identity? They wouldn't want to make this official. This way, it's totally unofficial and anonymous. Hell, I don't know. It is weird. If turns out to be true, then I will be very curious as to who this person is, which I suspect that we would never know.

27 minutes ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

And why would anyone involved in this negotiation "give clearance" for anything? So dumb.

Better yet, why bother with a burner account if you’re asking permission anyway?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, G&T said:

Better yet, why bother with a burner account if you’re asking permission anyway?

Because the person might have been given permission, but not to disclose who they are, or their source. At this point, no one can point a finger at anyone. Look at us. A few of us are speculating about who, and the rest of us think that's crazy. None of us know anything, just wild guesses. Again, complete plausible deniability. But again, the question is; Why do this?

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

So the burner account can easily get info about Manny but can’t figure out why Joc hasn’t happened? 

He’s not the only one that can’t figure out why the Joc trade hasn’t happened. Other people thought it would happen Friday. 

22 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I'm just trying to attach a motive to someone, regarding tweeting such a message. It's anonymous, so that pretty much negates the idea of an attention seeker. Why would someone do this, and who is the most likely author?

Assuming this is fake like most believe, I think the most likely culprit is somebody from this message board. 

• Like 3

I first came across that twitter by searching White Sox on Twitter. I just don’t understand how he has a connection that can tell him about Manny but no way to find out about Joc. “I have no idea why Joc hasn’t happened but here’s some even bigger news that I can get with a simple text”

Edited by Orlando
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

Tell us more. And, would it be permissible to disclose that? Also, would it be disadvantageous for the Sox?

No and no.

If JR wanted something in the press he would leak it to a reporter like he always has.

Not sure where Michael Reinsdorf would fit into this as he seems pretty busy running the Bulls into the ground.  I also don't get the impression he needs to satisfy his ego boost for attention by creating a secret Twitter account to undermine his Dad's work.

If the initials are intentional it is because someone out of the inner circle is trying to be cute, not because a Reinsdorf couldn't think of something smarter for a screen name than his own initials. 

1 hour ago, shipps said:

I know, just the Reinsdorf family in general, don’t seem like that type at all. The burner type almost screams for attention and they never seem to want to be out there out there like that before. 

Exactly.  Plus what does ownership gain from advertising their top number to the rest of MLB to beat?

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

Setting aside all of the other factors, which would be part of any consideration for one of J. R's sons to tweet that, can you see how they might desire to anonymously and secretly provide some good news to the fan base? 

They have reporters for that. If the team wanted it out someone like Chuck Garfein would post it for them.

Let’s just hope that it doesn’t play out where the Sox do sign Machado, and then he spends April struggling to hit .230, everyone blames the cold and promises he will heat up with the weather, but in the end just struggles through the whole season. That seems to happen with high profile acquisitions - Moncada...Frazier...Dunn...

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres