Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I still rock my Sox stuff when not going to games, idgaf. If you're not going to rock the gear all the time you're a fairweather fan anyway. 

Jack,

Most fans are fairweather fans and honestly there's nothing wrong with that. I have been a season ticket holder myself and my family for my entire life. Love the White Sox, but I went to 8 games last year - usually I'd go to 20. I didn't record and watch every game last year - which is something I usually do when they're remotely competitive. As you get older, it just feels stupid to waste 2 hours a day 162 days a year watching something that sucks. 

Fans have other things to do. The diehard fans will always be there, but the casual fan isn't going to tune in to watch Adam Engel put up a -24 wRC+, or Lucas Giolito give up his 14th homer in the first inning. The casual fan will return when you're good.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You don't need unlimited dollars for it to work.

The thing that separates a good rebuild from a bad one is the GM's ability to evaluate his own talent and part ways with those who are high valued/rated but overrated in his eyes, and retain the guys who are going to develop into stars. It's ones ability to evaluate their own talent that separates a successful rebuild from an unsuccessful one. 

If you work your salaries right - lets use the Sox for example - you sign support pieces to contracts that are off the books the years your youthful talent is about to hit free agency. You retain the ones that you think will continue to produce, and you move the ones that have produced but that have red flags to acquire more young talent to supplement for the support pieces you may lose. You can compete for a decade this way, easily, if you make the right decisions and retain the right people/move the right people.

Yes, but how often does that happen? There is about one team that has pulled it off for an extended period of time in baseball: The Braves. They also had the fortune of dealing with abnormal aging curves due to the Steroid Era. That kind of sustained success will probably never be duplicated again. 

4 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Anywhere east of i55 From Bridgeport to Tinley and east into Merriville/NW Indiana is all certifiably Sox territory.

I live in Tinley and I'd say it depends on the demographic.  There are more male Sox fans than Cubs fans, and vice versa for females.    I would say my age demographic (25-34) slightly leans towards the Sox.  

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Jack,

Most fans are fairweather fans and honestly there's nothing wrong with that. I have been a season ticket holder myself and my family for my entire life. Love the White Sox, but I went to 8 games last year - usually I'd go to 20. I didn't record and watch every game last year - which is something I usually do when they're remotely competitive. As you get older, it just feels stupid to waste 2 hours a day 162 days a year watching something that sucks. 

Fans have other things to do. The diehard fans will always be there, but the casual fan isn't going to tune in to watch Adam Engel put up a -24 wRC+, or Lucas Giolito give up his 14th homer in the first inning. The casual fan will return when you're good.

No kidding. I'm just really into baseball and it is my favorite sport. I don't go to a lot of games because of my personal situation, but I try to make it to as many as I can afford. I've been making a point of it to support the Sox through the rebuild as best as I can  and rock the gear as if they were winning because they finally decided to fucking do one, something I thought I'd never see until JR kicked the bucket. 

Just now, Peacock Wrestler said:

I live in Tinley and I'd say it depends on the demographic.  There are more male Sox fans than Cubs fans, and vice versa for females.    I would say my age demographic (25-34) slightly leans towards the Sox.  

Yeah I was going to say once you get west of like Alsip it gets pretty tight. 

1 minute ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

Would agree with this, but the problem is the new generation of fans (8-15) that all they’ve really seen is the Sox being bad and the Cubs being good.  It’s not cool to be a Sox fan right now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bmags said:

The thing about basketball fans is they just like watching basketball. Where baseball fans don't get it because their enjoyment (necessarily) is tied through the lens of a single team where their winning and losing is the entire game. I get that soxtalk posters think that the NBA structure is the problem, because it couldn't be their personal preference for which sports they like!, but truly, the nba is actually very popular. It's an amazing fact that few inside this forum can believe.

I don't deny that basketball is very popular at all or really anything that you're saying. I think this is all true despite the NBA having a very poor competitive climate. If there weren't teams with several superstars on them and every team was trying in earnest to be as good as possible, all that you say would remain true and I suspect even more fans would be drawn to the game.

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No kidding. I'm just really into baseball and it is my favorite sport. I don't go to a lot of games because of my personal situation, but I try to make it to as many as I can afford. I've been making a point of it to support the Sox through the rebuild as best as I can  and rock the gear as if they were winning because they finally decided to fucking do one, something I thought I'd never see until JR kicked the bucket. 

If I have tickets to give away this year - I dont even try to sell them - I will PM you. Usually give away 10-15 games a year. 

This Cubs-Sox talk in this thread is ridiculous.  First, while we all may be diehards, that doesn’t mean everyone has to pick one team or the other.  The value of playing in Chicago is you have access to a huge market when things are going right and can take advantage of a big population of band-wagoners.  In terms of true die-hard fan-bases within the metropolitan area, I’d give a slight edge to the Cubs but it’s probably pretty close.  What superates the Cubs from the Sox is their support from the causal / transplant audience and much more of a regional reach (i.e. Iowa, etc).  No matter how you want to argue it, the Sox are NOT a small market club.

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'd figure that someone as data driven as yourself would know that your personal experience on this scale is anecdotal evidence and is statistically irrelevant.

I'd agree with that. I still don't buy it. I just find it really hard to believe......Maybe it is just horribly skewed in Kane, NW Cook and Dupage where I spend most of my time. I will say this......In 2010 the Sox were in the middle of their 22-5 run and they were doing the "score search" for a new host. The score was the Sox flagship at the time and they asked Connor McKnight and the other guys what they would lead their show with. They all said the Sox and Mitch Rosen said they were wrong. Rosen said that because Pinella was on the hot seat, that they should lead with Cubs talk. He went as far as to say that Sox talk should be avoided unless they're in the playoffs or making big news. This was shortly after the Hawks won their first cup btw, and all that was being discussed was the Cubs and Hawks cap issues. I miss when they'd talk Hawks on the radio. 

If there was actually a split fanbase then the Cubs/Sox talk time on sportsblab would be split relatively evenly. I get excited when they talk Sox because it is so rare. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This Cubs-Sox talk in this thread is ridiculous.  First, while we all may be diehards, that doesn’t mean everyone has to pick one team or the other.  The value of playing in Chicago is you have access to a huge market when things are going right and can take advantage of a big population of band-wagoners.  In terms of true die-hard fan-bases within the metropolitan area, I’d give a slight edge to the Cubs but it’s probably pretty close.  What superates the Cubs from the Sox is their support from the causal / transplant audience and much more of a regional reach (i.e. Iowa, etc).  No matter how you want to argue it, the Sox are NOT a small market club.

Yes. Theres a reason we dont get a competitive balance pick and teams like the Cardinals do.

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes. Theres a reason we dont get a competitive balance pick and teams like the Cardinals do.

I disagree. The Sox should get that pick and the Cardinals shouldn't. I'd argue the Cardinals have a bigger fanbase until I'm blue in the face. They also have most of MO and downstate IL. I've also spent plenty of time vacationing in northern Arkansas and if there are people with baseball hats there, they're Cardinals hats. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

40 minutes ago, Ben Waffleson said:

Jeff Keppinger

Moncada and Kopech had their moments when they seemed to be THE jerseys to buy.  

This year, Jimenez and perhaps Cease.  Jimenez is beyond obvious.  Then Robert would be the player whose jersey I would be most likely to buy in the future, with Madrigal as second choice.

Edited by caulfield12

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I disagree. The Sox should get that pick and the Cardinals shouldn't. I'd argue the Cardinals have a bigger fanbase until I'm blue in the face. They also have most of MO and downstate IL. I've also spent plenty of time vacationing in northern Arkansas and if there are people with baseball hats there, they're Cardinals hats. 

The population of the entire state of Missouri is 4 million less people than the Chicago metro. The people in arkansas or wherever don't meaningfully contribute to the Cardinals bottom line. 

Edited by mqr

18 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If I have tickets to give away this year - I dont even try to sell them - I will PM you. Usually give away 10-15 games a year. 

Sell them online. I take a good chuckle k out of my season tickets for next year selling the tickets through the Sox website

Hypothetically let's say that Machado signs a 10 year  $300M contract with the Sox. Then he gets injured at the start of year three, can't play again and is still owed $240M.  I would assume the team takes an insurance policy on highly paid players. Educate me, please. Can someone explain, without having to go into to great a deal of time, how those insurance policies  work? Thanks. (For those like I who worry about a badly injured player with a long term contract)

Edited by Saufley

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres