Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Because if they really offered him that, it means Sox offer isn’t as ridiculously low as some reported if they’re still in contention.  This report wasn’t some breaking news that they just offered him this.  It also reiterates though that Hahn can’t be negotiating trying to get Manny for lowest possible price.  We don’t have “home field advantage” in this negotiation.

Gotcha and that would all make sense, I just don’t think there is a lick of truth to this Yankees’ offer.  Even Duquette has already back-tracked on it a bit.

This NYY report is an old offer. Not a new offer. And that is good for us.

Because the way we were going to win this is if we blow away the competition with our spending. Which we can do b/c of low payroll. This is our strength and we will now use it. 

NYY likely offered something like this before signing LeMahieu and Tulo

1 hour ago, shipps said:

Buried in that? I’m not even positive what that even is. Is it the new football league? That’s not really a big deal is it? 

I’m not a huge football fan but it’s still the biggest sport in the country.   It gives people a new possibility for wagering and introduces some new rules which should make it more exciting than the NFL.   75% of sports center will likely be about this story today

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yankees fans on Twitter are completely unbearable.  Like they legitimately feel they should be entitled to Machado & Harper just because.  I really, really hope they land neither of them (which seems likely at this point) just to see their fanbase’s endless whining.

I remember all of those really bad Yankees teams of the 80s. Before Jeter. Donny baseball Mattingly, a young Henderson, Barfield, and Dave Righetti. A whole generation ago. And now, really the last 20 years, all this entitlement. 

If you ever go to Cooperstown and visit the baseball hall of fame, there is a whole section dedicated to the Yankees and their 27 world championships. It really was impressive. And without a doubt fans the flames of entitlement. 

I hate the Yankees. Lol

• Like 2

Might be time to leak the White Sox being deeply engaged with Harper. It may make Lozano flinch a little. If whatever the Sox offer to MM goes away and Harper a White Sox, the Phillies probably won't bid against themselves as all these mystery teams seem about as likely as the Cubs moving to Rosemont.

I wonder if Lindors injury moves the needle. If either of the big 2 get hurt before they sign, even though I am sure they are somewhat insured, it could cost them many millions. 

1 hour ago, Justinsettle said:

That isn't greed.  They should get every penny that they can.  Who is anyone to say that 250 million is "enough" or not enough- the market will decide that.  They have a specific set of skills that very few people on the planet have and they will and should get paid for it.  Just like the owners have every right to make the maximum profit that the market will allow.  What fans think they are worth doesn't matter-  what matters is what the owners think.  

Yes, that IS greed.  Stringing it out just to get every last penny is a perfect example of greed.  You can justify it in your mind, but it is still Greed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

YES, that is pretty much the definition of "greed". The issue is, is that good, or bad, or not even an issue. According to Gordon Gecko (Michael Douglas); "Greed is good". And yes, the label applies to both sides. It's called self interest. Neither side should be expected to be altruistic about these negotiations. Each side will look out for its own best interests. T

Edited by Lillian
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yes. He's just reiterating.

This all makes sense. If the Sox did offer 8/250...Manny's agent putting out this alleged Yankee offer of 220 might be trying to nudge the Sox up. Because I suspect that if both offers are true (unlikely on the Yankee end), Machado probably would take the Yankee offer. The Sox probably would need more separation than 30 mil over a Yankee offer.

12 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Yes, that IS greed.  Stringing it out just to get every last penny is a perfect example of greed.  You can justify it in your mind, but it is still Greed.

HUH??? It is greed on both sides. I will bet you Jerry has more money than Manny.  So w your rationale, the team is also stringing it out to save every last penny. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Lillian said:

YES, that is pretty much the definition of "greed". The issue is, is that good, or bad, or not even an issue. According to Gordon Gecko (Michael Douglas); "Greed is good".

No getting paid what the market determines your worth is not greed.  And he shouldn’t take a penny less- in your view is taking less charity?

3 minutes ago, Justinsettle said:

No getting paid what the market determines your worth is not greed.  And he shouldn’t take a penny less- in your view is taking less charity?

I think that you missed my point. Yes, Manny and his agents want the most money, that they can get and ownership of the various bidding teams wants the least expensive contract, that Manny is willing to sign. Both sides will be motivated by "greed". However, so what? That's the way it works. I agree with you. Neither side is expected to be charitable. It's business.

34 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The pressure should be on the White Sox. Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, all out. If they were ever going to sign one, now is the time. Fail now, chances are they fail down the road when the big boys get more involved.

I think this post is almost wordfor word what was said in CespedesTalk

45 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Striking out on Cespedes and Gordon certainly was a blessing in disguise.

Didn't it turn out that the Sox weren't seriously trying to sign Cespedes but went after Gordon instead?

That sounds very much like how I recall it. They had a serious offer for Gordon and not really for any of the other OFs, I believe they had a higher offer out than KC did and at the end KC put a little more money in to make it close and he stayed there. And in the end, the only OF worth signing out of all 4 of the ones available that offseason was Upton, who the Sox showed no interest in.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres